Thread: Managing OTT heavy periods - advice pls??!!!

Default Managing OTT heavy periods - advice pls??!!!

I'm having crazy heavy periods at the moment (which fit the perimenopause anovulation pattern) but I'm seeking some advice on how to manage them.

***TMI alert***

Obviously first thing to try is doubling up with both tampon and pad BUT I'm having problems with the tampon filling so quick it starts to slide out. I don't think it's a pelvic floor issue as such since I don't have any stress incontinence or anything, I think it's literally because the flow is so heavy.

Any tips on how to manage? I welcome recommendations on best brands of pads & tampons from your experience. Please no oral contraceptive suggestions, that is not an option with a breast cancer history. Keen to hear any suggestions at all. Thanks

Would a drug like cyklokapron be an option? I'm not entirely sure how it works but I have been prescribed it in the past for crazy, heavy bleeding and it does work. I'm not even going to attempt to explain how it works as I'm sure you would be wanting to look it up and investigate for yourself.

BW

Thanks BW, I will look into that. Is that something your GP prescribed or did you have to see a gyno for it? Also, did it give you any weird side effects?

ETA - also, do you take it all the time or just when you have your period?

I've had it both from a GP and a gyno (my FS). It's just something you take during menstruation. I don't get any weird side effects from it, but I know others do. I don't even know that the possible side effects are!

BW

Thanks BW. You have given me hope!

hey darl, i have terrible heavy periods as i am on warfarin, i end up changing super tampons every hour, and have considered maybe just switching over to maternity pads.
    either that, or my gp mentioned getting mirena..

When I get my period I'm changing a maternity pad every 40-60 mins. I haven't found any way to manage it other than making sure I have a full pack of pads in my bag at all times

Thanks ladies for your replies. It settled a bit today but still in the upper reaches of heavy. I was lucky to be able to get in to see my lovely GP who has ordered some blood tests (thyroid apparently is implicated) and also prescribed the medication that BW mentioned. She said it's usually very effective so I'm hoping for some rapid improvement.

I also stocked up on maternity pads - the all-nighters I was using are actually the same as the maternity ones - but a different fabric on the cover - and stood in the shop and read all the tampon packets until I found the one that had the maximum absorbency in grams (carefree flexia super) so I feel appropriately armed now.

MD, I was prescribed that medication and it didnt' agree with me so I had to stop taking it. Apparently using cloth pads can help with the flow - don't ask me how it works but it apparently does LOL. When I have had uber heavy periods, I just use maternity pads for the duration because tampons are useless. Alternatively you could try using a menstrual cup?

Marydean, just want to mention with the dosage of the cyklokapron. First time I was given it I think I was told to take 1 or 2 tablets three times per day. Worked a little, but still had issues... When my FS prescribed he had me on two tablets four times a day. Worked a treat. Just wanted to drop that in there in case you were prescribed a lower dosage and perhaps needed a higher dosage like me.

Was thinking about this thread last night. And thinking back to post-partum bleeding. I lived in fear of post-partum bleeding because everyone told me it would be so much worse than a normal period. Ummm... Not for me. I'm guessing I have pretty bad periods as the only way it was worse is that it went on longer. I've had heavier periods... But that was in the days before cyklokapron and before the pill. So glad to have things under control now.

Oh, when it comes to tampons, I actually find tampax to be better than the flexia - I guess because they are longer so there's more chance for fluid to be absorbed rather than rushing through too quickly. But I don't know whether that's a me thing or something that other women find as well. I've also got things very well under control in terms of heaviness, but it may be something worth trying if you haven't already.

BW

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'd definitely support your body with acupuncture. Also because of the heavy loss, which happened to me after I weaned my son, I struggled (and still do) with iron - my ferritin levels are 7 when they like it to be around 50, and its tough building it up. Get onto some iron supplements too, so you prevent that, being dead tired from seriously low iron sucks

Acu cleared up my cycle very quickly, 1-2 treatments after so many months of heavy loss!

Also see an osteo if you're worried about pelvic floor.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Trill, I agree that the clothies might be a good idea, but I'm just not up for the logistics of managing that at work right now.

BW, yep my GP prescribed 2 x 4 times a day. Thanks for mentioning that. I might give the tampax another shot, I see online they have a 'superplus' version. Bleh I hate having to even use tampons, but doubling up is really all I can do right now. Post-partum was nothing on this!!

Kelly, agree acupuncture might be of assistance - the specific issue for me is that the hormones that preceed the FSH/LH production are switched off (probably a result of the surgery I had last year) - so it really is a whole system imbalance.

BW, I just wanted to pop back on and say thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I *cannot* believe how well the medication worked, so well in fact I have cut the dosage back (felt a bit weird on it the first day) and still had a mind-boggling reduction in the flow. I wouldn't have known to see my GP so promptly about it without your post. It has made all the difference to my peace of mind regarding being able to manage the bleeding at work.

I am so glad, MD! It really is an amazing drug and I'd be lost with out it! It made a huge difference to my ability to cope with AF at work, too.

Now... if only I could fix the random break through bleeds I have on this current pill, we'd both be set!

BW

MD, this is something I'm interested in as due to my family and personal history I think this will be a real problem pretty soon. I believe that apart from drugs and the mirena, the next option is something called uterine ablation (I think), where they basically use a laser to kill the endo-metrial layer (ie the part the you lose when menstruating). I'm not sure that it's permanent but I have heard that it can keep periods non-existent or very light for several months at least. This might be an option if for some reason the medication stops being a good choice for you. And of course the last resort is an hysterectomy.

It is great to hear that the medication is helping already. I hope it continues to be helpful for you.

MR, thanks for that, I know it's something Christiane Northrup recommends as an alternative to hysterectomy which is often suggested to women when they are having perimenopausal bleeding issues. Good to know about it for future reference I guess. Although I got the impression it was more of a permanent or long term effect. I'm hoping this current state is an aberration, that my periods will begin to function like normal again, and I'll go on happily menstruating for another 10-15 years and then have a 'real' menopause LOL.

BTW - the dr explained the heavy periods to me like this - it's because my body is still producing oestrogen, so the womb gets ready for implantation like normal, but then when you don't ovalute, no progesterone kicks in to suppress the oestrogen, so the womb lining just gets thicker and juicier, so when it finally breaks down, it's a massive shedding.