Thread: Need help before going to the doctor this arvo - Period pain

Default Need help before going to the doctor this arvo - Period pain

I'm going to the doctor this afternoon but I wanted to get your opinoins and maybe a little bit of help first...

I've had period pain for a few years, on a scale of 1-10 it was usually around a 3 or 4.

Just before concieving DS I had a REALLY bad one. I was in tears, curled up in bed in agony for abpuit 8 - 12 hours, pain relief did nothing. It was a lot like labour - cramps that came and went with a peak, extremely painful (I had thought maybe it was a misscarriage but I'm not sure, guess I'll never really know).

After DS they went away for a while but it's come back again, the last 4 or 5 months I've had some form of pain, from a 1-2 hour bout to all day. Even times when 2 days after my period had finished I had pain (also had pain during these periods). Pain level now is about a 5 or 6 out of 10.

It just doesn't seem right.

There doesnt seem to be any real pattern to when the pain comes, how long it lasts, how bad it is except that the pain is getting worse and lasting a little longer, not everytime but most times.
    Since the pain has come back thjey have been quite a bit heavier, and has gone from lasting about 10 days to about 7.

I have also been getting horrible nauseating headaches with the last few periods.

SO...
    Is this normal or should Imention it to the doctor when I go?
    Any suggestions as to what it might be that's causing it?
    Also (as you can probably tell) I'm having a hard time describing it, what should I say to the doctor when I see him/ her - never met this one before?

TIA

Anyone?

I would definitely mention it, I don't think period pain should be that severe. Uncomfortable yes, but not so you are in agony... Dunno what might cause it though? Maybe even see if they can give you a referral to a gynaecologist as they would probably have more idea than a GP. I think you should have it investigated though, you must dread AF's arrival!

ETA: if you think you'll have trouble describing it to them (I know I often get tongue tied at the dr's ) maybe write or print out what you wrote in your first post, then you can just read it out to them or hand it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ss_storm View Post
    maybe write or print out what you wrote in your first post, then you can just read it out to them or hand it to them.
    Oh yep I do that. I make a list starting from the moment I make the appt then add the finishing touches in the waiting room.

I get bad migranes before AF

He gave me a prescription for a stronger pain killer. Beyond that he didn't say much other than he could test for a couple of STI's that cause painful periods but said if I had been monogomous (sp) then that was unlikely. I asked about PCOS and he said that was possible too, I certainly have a few of the symptoms, but there's not really any treatment for that. Just management and that that was also unlikely because we conceived DS in less than a year. (7-9ish months I think?)

I totally forgot to mention the headaches, and I was going to ask to have my iron levels tested because I thought that might be causing them (I've also been really tired and feeling generally unwell the last few days - since the start of AF.) Should have gotten him to check my blood pressure stupid brain. I hate it

I have another appointment on monday to discuss a mental health plan (finally) so I'll TRY to remember to ask about it then.

Thanks for your replies

i would be an appointment for an gyno
    you cant go on with pain like that
    a gyno has so much more experience with these things and a GP is really not able to do any further testing than a b/test
    can you refer back to where you had your bub??
    or maybe bite the bullet and get a private GYno appointment
    hth but please do not put up with that type of pain!!!

There are other things that can cause pain and you really should investigate. Sometimes birth control can help with certain symptoms, but you really need to know what you're dealing with first - I'd get a referal to a gyno.

Are gynaechologists expensive? Will they bulk bill? Even as I write that it seems a stupid question lol....

Heva - I have had odd periods for years now and I am only just putting the picture together. My suggestion is to keep a diary and see if there is a pattern. You might need to do this for 3 months. From there I found a lot of GP's just don't get it iykwim. I know of a good GP in Carina. PM me if you want his details. Alternatively I have had more success with naturopaths. I've also found that you have to force some doctors to investigate. Good luck

the other thing to do is when this pain gets bad again to rock up to emergency at a hospital and get them to investigate for you. They will have a gyno there that will hopefully help or at least so equipment to do u/sounds etc whilst the pain is present to see if they can see something!!!
    good luck

Thanks Bek, this guy was lovely but your right I dont think he *quite* got it as was evident from just giving me pain killers I guess. Lol. Problem is I cant afford all this stuff. Does your GP bulk bill?

*det*- that's a good idea too, just have to hope they'd see me in time, before the pain goes away. It's lasted longer this time than usual. It's been 3 days. It was pretty bad the first day and today and yesterday it's been there in the background threatening to flare up at any moment. Next time it's bad I'll give the hossy a go.

Oh great now I have sharp pains in my chest and left of my abdomen. Had them before, apparently it's nothing, just muscle pain or something. What more this week? Why cant I just feel healthy for once? *sigh*