Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas time for non-Christians

We do midsummers, as Yule is celebrated in June. I know this doesn't help at all!!!

We use the midsummers event to get everybody together, huge gathering of kith and kin, celebrations of the wheel of the year. But then again we do that for Yule (but with the tree & lights etc).

It is going to be interesting as my children get older, I want them to know about each faith, considering they'll get a connection to the Jewish side through me (I was born of a Jewish mother, they will be born of a Jewish mother), I want them to know more.

You could do a Xmas/Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza day instead
    Last edited by Sopdet; August 8th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Meow, I was referring to the original poster, who was considering what imagry her chid would ha growing up. As for mental health - DS will learn I don't lie to him about people breaking into our house and that will help him. We go hunting for gruffalos, but never has one come into our house! Santa breaks in through the chimney: could a thief? How does the Tooth Fairy do it - could anyone just come into my bedroom while I sleep? Some lies we tell because they are "magical" are just a source of fear for some children.

I get what you are saying there I have NEVER liked The Cat in the Hat book- the idea that this creature could just walk in when your parents are out, trash the place and not leave no matter how much you asked really scared me! So many of the stories children grow up with in from religions are scary too- I at least like the idea that Santa teaches you can let go of something once you learn the truth, rather than the Christian notion that an unseen 'god' is a fact.

Just cos you don't like God being a fact doesn't mean that He is . Although there are enough stories from the Bible I grew up with that I grew up hating. Ever seen Addams Family Values? Morticia reads baby Pubert The Cat in the Hat:

"We looked and we saw him step in on the mat. We looked and we saw him: the cat in the hat. I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny." (flips to back page.) "Oh no, he lives."

Other housebreakers include Goldilocks. I point out to DS that she is nothing more than a common thief who deserves to be eaten by bears. The bears eat her when I tell the story.

Hmm... I think my brain is mush. edited this post as it had words missing and made no sense but now I don't think I made sense of the point I was referring to anyway.
    Last edited by meow; August 11th, 2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: changing nonsense post

We're an atheist family, and we don't celebrate it at all. No tree, no lights, nothing to mark the occasion of Santa's birthday (cos that's what Christmas is, right? Seems that way if you hit any shopping centre in December) Definitely no turkey or Christmas ham! (vegan wackos... )We don't do Christmas gifts either. We DO make the most of the public holiday with whatever get-together we can muster, just as we do with Labour Day, or Ekka Day, or other days. We treat it as an end-of-year round up, and then we DO celebrate the New Year in a much bigger way, because it's a non-religious event.

So that's how we roll

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zaidie View Post
    Other housebreakers include Goldilocks. I point out to DS that she is nothing more than a common thief who deserves to be eaten by bears. The bears eat her when I tell the story.
    I'm so coming to your house for storytime! hilarious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12