Thread: How do I go about..

Default How do I go about..

I'm not into main stream religions. I am most comfortable with the Wiccan path although I am no longer actively practising.

I want my children to grow up having a healthy opinion of the religious choices that are out there. But I don't really know enough about them to feel that I can give the correct answers to some questions that have already come up from time to time.

The main thing that comes up is when Evan see's the door knockers. He will ask what they want or what are they doing etc. I have no idea! LOL I know they are just trying to spread the word that they believe in & all that but how do I explain to achild (who has many questions!) the basics of the main religions.

I don't even know the difference between being christain or being catholic!

When Evan did ask I tol dhim its something he best talk to Daddy about because DH does know more about this sort of thing then me. BUT when I was talkign to DH about it he said he would just say they are (the doorknockers) people who like to tell everyone else how they should live.

I was a little shocked & thought that was a rather negative light to shine on it all. I would rather the kids form their own opinion of the different religious groups out there.

I have some pretty negative opinions about some of the religious groups around also so again I am worried that I may shine the wrong light as well, so that added to the fact I would probably give wrong information also leaves me hesitant to answer his questions.

He attends the non scripture class at school as DH feels school is not the place to learn about that. I figured non scripture was the right chice seems Evan isn't a part of the other options.

Now i am wondering if it would actually be a good idea to send him along to a different one each term so he learns a little about them all (well the ones covered at school).

What would you do?

Hi FionaJill,

I really admire your open-mindedness about educating your children even though you have your own personal views. I believe it is important that children learn about different religions because ignorance to them can cause unneccesary predjudices later on. I personally think that school is an excellent place to learn about them as it would be pretty unbiased about each religion (i.e - not trying to force anything down kid's throats) and would give them the real facts. I think that is better than learning snippets here and there occasionally, but not having a full understanding.

If your child has questions regarding a particular religion (like doorknockers - aka JW's), you could always Google info on them!

Good luck in your decision making
    Last edited by ~Trish~; February 21st, 2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added more

kirsty_lee Guest

Hey Fiona, Funnily enough I was just thinking about this the other day and was having a conversation with my next door neighbour about it. Personally I am an athiest, and also practise alot of tarot readings, astrology, dream definitions etc.. so guess a little pagan/wiccan myself. I was thinking about what I will do when dd is old enough to start learning about this sort of stuff. I would never force my beliefs on anyone especially my own child iykwim. Dp doesnt belive in things i believe in, but still we're able to have healthy debates/conversations about it. I want my daughter to be able to believe in whatever she wants to and make up her own mind. If she chooses religion than that's totally her beliefs and her right. But I often wonder how to go about (if she did choose it) going to church etc. I guess although i can support her views, there comes a time where i have to draw a line and would NEVER step foot inside a church so not quite sure how that will work. Also like you having to explain certain religions etc.. I think it will be hard for me trying to explain other religions without putting my personal opinions in and trying to explain it in a non-biast (for lack of a better word) way.... Good post.. cause i like you am totally lost on the whole situation lol good luck cause i really

Hi FJ,

Personally, i am not religious at all, and do not want to sway my DD into any particular religion - when whe is older, if she so pleases, i will support her decision wichever way she goes.
    in kindy she did catholic scripture. Year one she did buddhist. Thsi year she is doing Jewish, next year she will be doing hindu.
    And when she is old enough i will give her my copy of The God Delusion. hopefully that will give her enough food for thought
    I guess we are just lucky to have her in such a great secular school. I think its very important to have a basic understanding of as many religions as possible to understand the psychology behind different nations of the world. Only once you have knowledge can you have any power in your decision making as to which religion you choose to follow. I think it is so terribly wrong to sway a child's mindset into one particular set of beliefs.

I agree with Trish's advice. I think school is a great place to learn a little about the world's religions. Human history has been greatly influenced by religion, for good or bad, and I think it's a necessary subject to know about. The school will not "force it down you child's throat" (geeze I dislike that phrase). I think it is quite mature of you to be prepared to discuss religion without bias. No one can make their mind up about something unless they understand it. I think some people believe that if they expose their kids to religion it will have an instant negative effect on them... like it's contagious or something. Happy to plonk little jonnhy infront of a violent teen gang movie but would cringe at little Johnny watching a Christian Easter movie. I also think raising kids is a little about removing fear and establishing comfort zones. My DH never when in a church until he was 22yo and so feels "uncomfortable" about doing so even today. I think mature people feel ok about every aspect of life as long as it isn't harmful. Is entering a church or synagogue or temple harmful? If you think it is then ok, your kids will pick up on that. I personally think that exposure and saying "this is ok for some people" creates more tolerant and resilient children and adults.
    I'd go the school option, different religion per term. It will not scar them for life

My MIL is JW and explained to me why she door knocks (I hate it and don't agree with it so it's hard for me to accept this part of her faith)... it's because in the bible there is a line that says something about "spread the word to your neighbours" so they really do feel that they are not following God if they neglect this part.

With regards to religion, I grew up in a non-religious household too and when old enough (grade 4) I said I didn't want to do religious classes at school anymore. At that time Christian education was still aprt of the public school system. My school didn't know what to do with me and let me hang out doing not much with a teacher in the room... soon more children joined me once people realised they had a choice. We then started a class called 'religions of the world' and we learnt about a new one each week. I loved it as it was teaching about diversity without ramming beliefs down my throat. Maybe your son would really enjoy attending the different religious classes- I'd talk to him about it.

smiles4u Guest

As a kid myself I remember my own Mum sadly giving us kids a negative view of those that came "knocking on our door".

... She would tell them that they were trying to sell there religion like a set of stake knives coming into people's private property & feeling free to knock on the door & sell their religion so to speak.

As an adult I now do understand where my Mum was coming from BUT her approach towards the matter was so negative & I now understand that THOSE people were simply not being disrespectful or harmful towards others in anyway, they if anything were trying to reach out & welcome something that they themselves found to be wonderful into others lives. And I don't see that as something negative.

It would not have taken much for my Mother to simply say "No thank you we are not interested" ... & slowly close the door with some manners.

Hopefully my story from my own childhood memory may enlighten a little on the subject at hand for your Evan

By the way, I love his name