Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JW - Door knocking - how does it work?

Default JW - Door knocking - how does it work?

Just a bit puzzled, would really love to know how the JW work when door knocking. A few weeks ago I opened the door, listened for a while and explained that I'm a Christian and wasn't interested, sorry. Since then the same lady keeps returning every week. Sometimes I don't answer the door and on occasions have said again sorry but not interested. Now the part that puzzles me is that they don't go to my neighbours or anyone else in the street. I have watched them get back in the car and leave. Why are they only coming to me? TIA.

Regards,
    Dianne

My mum sprayed them with a hose once lol

I dont get it when you say no and they keep coming back. *shakes head* We dont get them in our street ever and I have been living here for 6 years or something.

Maybe next time slam the door in their face?

We usually call back like that on people that have shown interest - is there any way she could've misunderstood you? I would suggest simply asking her (nicely!) not to continue visiting, as you really aren't interested.

Just a thought - could anyone else in your household have shown some interest to her in the past? I've had that before, someone has taken the magazines and then a different person has answered next time and said they're not interested, but they're not actually the person I was calling on in the first place! It might be an idea to check with any teenage children in the house particularly - we're not supposed to offer our publications to minors, but these days it can be hard to tell who's a minor and who's actually the parent. I offended one woman who had 3 children by asking to talk to her Mum - she was 28!

Maybe ask her why she keeps coming back... but... do it in a nice way. JWs in this area are lovely, they keep coming back to our place, even though I make it very clear I don't want their magazine. They're nice to talk to though. I miss my old JW guy from Beerwah actually!

I've never accepted the magazines but it could be possible that DS has not sure, never seen any though. This morning she came and I didn't answer, DH was out in the backyard and after ringing the doorbell 3 times she actually went out the back and sung out hello. Fortunately for DH and his broken English (which he takes advantage of) says "no speaka da English", he comes in handy sometimes .

Regards,
    Dianne

LOL, I knew people used that to get rid of us! The easiest thing would just be to ask her not to come back, even if you don't answer the door she'll keep coming, she'll just try different times to try and get you home

Also, its not just when people take the literature that we come back - DH has called several times on a lovely Muslim man, they have huge conversations, seem to love setting each other off, LOL. We follow up any and all interest, because Jehovah says it is a matter of life and death. I heard a great illustration recently, about volunteers searching for survivors after an earthquake - they wouldn't stop because it was Sunday or because others made fun of them, because finding those people in time would mean their life. I hafta remind myself of that when I get a door slammed in my face

Thanks for your perspective Berenice. I understand the "matter of life or death" issue.... I firmly believe that too many people neglect their spiritual well being... but the door knocking thing does, I have to admit, annoy me. But I am in two minds. Does it cross the line of what is respectful? People should be able to find sanctuary from the world, to a certain degree, in their own homes. People need to know that at home they can shower/ be intimate with their partners/ breast feed a baby/ grieve a loved one/ meditate/ have heated discussion with a partner etc etc etc and be fairly guaranteed that it won't be interrupted. I take the phone off the hook quite often here to this ends... but when somebody knocks on the door I find it very hard not to answer. I find it stressful to ignore... brings back memories of listening to my drunken stepfather being locked out at night by my mother for example. So I just answer it and get it over and done with. I have answered the door to JWs and accepted their magazines (and read them) but I did say that we attended another church and don't require ongoing help... and tried to do it with grace despite having just put down my baby for a sleep and hearing him cry... I can see both sides... but personally, knowing that I do try to look after my eternal soul by following the teachings of the Bible I would prefer to be able to chose the right moment to focus fully on the Lord and not have that moment chosen for me.... but then again maybe that's not how it should work! Not intending to be disrespectful to the largely good work the JWs do.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; August 9th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post
    Does it cross the line of what is respectful?
    I think it does- for the same reasons you have said about home being a person's sancutuary and I think that should be respected. My MIL is a JW and when she joined the church she said she would never door knock. The scriptures that discuss going out and telling everyone to spread the word are too compelling for her though so she door knocks now too. I just wish they could "spread the word" in a public place. I expect to be swamped with information at a mall for example but I detest having advertising of any nature brought to my home without my consent. I've had this dicussion with her though and I think she said the scripture actually says to go house to house - is that right Berenice?

ETA: I found this info which details the scriptures...
    The Bible says that: "Every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus." (Acts 5:42)

The apostle Paul was a fine example to the early christians and us as he was also active in the house-to-house ministry. He says at Acts 20:20, "I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house."
    Last edited by meow; August 9th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Yes, I was aware that it does say explicitly to go from house to house... thanks for posting the exact words Meow. This is why I am in two minds. The way it is worded though is more of a description rather than a command though isn't it? Or am I quibbling with words? I really don't want to be disrespectful to BB's JW community though... so I think it would be wise to choose our words carefully.

I just know that home visits have come at terribly inconvenient times though... it was a shame... if they weren't so unpredictable i could probably welcomed them in for a chat and a cuppa.... does not the unsolicited nature of the house calling work against them? Thinking aloud here...

Yes, it does actually say house to house. That's how Jesus instructed the apostles to do it, to go in pairs to each house and speak to the people inside. Earlier in the 1900's, JW's didn't actually do the preaching themselves, they would walk around wearing sandwich boards or go from house to house with a portable phonograph and press play on a pre-recorded message. It is considerably harder to go from door to door, not knowing who is going to answer or what their reaction will be. Interestingly Bath, I have heard so many stories of people who were going through a very hard time, stories of people who had just learned of a loved one's death who felt compelled to answer the door to find JW's on the other side - and 90% of the time, have been comforted by what we've been able to show them from the Bible.

I met a young man last weekend, who came to our Sunday meeting for the first time, because the day before he had been called on and invited. He told me that when he heard the knock at the door, he had been making himself a noose to hang himself, because he just couldn't cope any more. He ignored the knock the first time, but then they knocked again, so he answered it. He stood at the door talking to the JW's on the other side for 2 hours, asking questions and just talking about Jehovah. Even if that young man doesn't become a JW, it's absolutely amazing to realise the power the Bible can have for people, the comfort it can bring.

We also do public witnessing, in parks, in shopping centres, in carparks, in letters, on the phone. We do business witnessing as well, and train/bus witnessing. We're very adaptable people Although I'm not so good at other types of witnessing, I prefer house to house.

ETA - Bath, if you would prefer them to come at a different time, just ask them! They'll be more than happy if there's something you wanted to discuss. Either that, or you and I can have 'virtual coffee' and Bible discussion one day

You can say what times work best for you though... Don't JWs usually have a 'section' of the area that the witness in?

I've seen public transport witnessing work to good effect... pairs of JW fellows striking up conversations with people who figure that they might as well have a chat as they didn't have anything better to do on their way home from work. I have no doubt that there are many success stories of JWs coming to people's doors just at the right moment... sadly for me not the case... 80% of the time as a SAHM I am desperately lonely and up for a chat (which is why I get on BB so often) but 20% I just don't want to be interrupted... I wonder why it's had to be that way? Hint: JWs probably shouldn't call after about 4pm... this is the worst possible time for anyone at home with babies and young children... Breast feeding mums feed at all times but anyone that knocks on my door after 4pm is always given short shift as even now my kids are very tired and noisey. I guess if they have to do then between 10 am and 3pm would be best.

Not quite sure what you mean Leasha? We have maps that we work off, and we also have congregational boundaries, but neither of those affect the time we call. If you would prefer another time just ask the person who calls on you, and hopefully they will be able to call back at that time - but it wouldn't be noted on any map or secret file or anything, it'd just be between yourself and the person calling on you.

Have I misunderstood L?

LOL Bath, its so difficult to try and get everyone at their perfect time y'know? In the summertime we have special witnessing groups that go out around 5.30-6.00, to catch people coming home from work that we wouldn't normally catch at normal times. Great for them, not so great for SAHM's, families, etc. Which is why we do so many different types of witnessing, and go at different times - to catch as many people as possible with our message

Berenice can I ask a question without it sounding seemingly rude?

I've always been curious about the JW way - and wonder why they don't just let people choose to go to church if they want to worship rather than go to their homes?

I have one girl that comes around month in month out and I have to be honest - I get very jack of it......I am Anglican and I go to church. I would never think to knock on someone's door and ask that they come to my place of worship - and keep coming back if they register the slightest interest.

Perhaps it's the world we live in now that doesn't place the same level of importance on spirituality - but I just think that if someone wants to worship, they'll do it on their own terms.

I hope I didn't offend - I am genuinely interested in why JW's are different to every other religion in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post
    Does it cross the line of what is respectful? People should be able to find sanctuary from the world, to a certain degree, in their own homes.
    I think it does cross the line. And i believe religious door knockers prey on those who are vulnerable.

Out of interest, what good work do the JWs do?

No problem Mumma, always happy to answer questions

To put it VERY basically (not that I think you wouldn't understand, LOL), the Bible teaches that Jehovah only accepts worship according to His standards - so, not every religion is created equal ITMS. He gave Moses 10 Commandments for His people to follow. But, when Jesus came to Earth, he found that the supposed 'spiritual leaders' of the day had corrupted Jehovah's teachings to the extent that they were a burden on the people. They used their positions to take the best of everything, while adding to the people's spiritual responsibilities and making them 'groan and suffer'. That's why Jesus taught first his apostles, and then the disciples, to go to the people and preach about Jehovah's Kingdom - because they were being misled.

Obviously this is going to get into a very emotive area, and I want to take care not to offend anyone. The prevailing attitude today is that as long as you're a good person, and you don't do bad things, and you worship God in your own way, you're alright. Or sometimes I hear that all religions are just different sides to the same coin. The reason we continue to preach from door to door is because we have learned from the bible that that is not true, Jehovah is very specific about the kind of worship that He accepts - and how would anyone know if nobody told them?

Again, I do not want to offend anyone with the above paragraph - it is simply the answer to the question

rhyb Guest

At the top of our street is a JW church so they quite regularly do the lap of our street. As DF is religious but Im not they know us and remember the names of our childrenetc. They seem to be very nice people but not my cup of tea. Im respectful to them and they respect my lack of faith and dont expect DF to take the LOs to church with him (he has gone there before)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast