Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental Plaque?

Question Dental Plaque?

Ok firstly I have to admit that I haven't been to a dentist since Mum used to make me go

I was at a bbq on Saturday and I thought I had some food stuck in the back of my tooth, next thing you know it came out! I had it in my hand and it looked like part of my tooth and I FREAKED OUT!

Then someone said it is probably plaque as it looks and feels just like a tooth.

PHEW (i hope!)

So basically I am off to the dentist on Wednesday and the lady said its most likely plaque and the dentist will get rid of all of it on my teeth.

So...does it hurt? what do they do...im scared!

They scrape it and no it doesn't hurt. Then they'll probably clean them. Your teeth might be quite sensitive to hot & cold tho afterwards, coz they're suddenly 'exposed' without all the plaque covering them up

I hope that's all it was! Doesn't hurt to have a good clean at the dentists now & then anyway... coz they reach all the spots we miss

ok great! So its a scale and clean im having! I hope its not too expensive

nope.

Danni, if you have not been for ages, I would ring around and get prices, cos you will find different dentist will charge differently for the same procedures, and it could vary quite a bit.

From memory - I think a check and a clean cost me $130. I -think-. I had cover back then tho, so claimed some back... next time I won't have any cover.

I'm pretty sure its a old wifes tale that pregnancy is bad for your teeth....

yep ive heard that a lot FJ, but i think its true due to lack of calcium?

If you are getting enough calcium you will be fine.
    If you aren't getting enough, of any vitamin/mineral, pregnant or not you body will take it from where it can.

I think I was thinking of the one about loosing a tooth for each pg.

Can I ask with out being offensive... How does one build up enough plaque for a chunk to break away? I hadn't been to the dentist in years but when I went I only had a minimal build up of plaque from not flossing, but no where near enough for a chunk to break off.

its on the back of the bottom front row teeth. If you do not have gaps in between your teeth, then you have plaque in between them

Yep, thats where the build up was on mine but I just don't get the "chunk" discription.

like i said, its the description of it being a chunk that i don't get. am i just thinking bigger then what you actually mean?

I wondered the same thing actually FJ hehe.

hmm yeah - plaque is the white stuff you can scrape off with your fingernail.. and tartar is the hard stuff. I think. hehe.

yep plaque is the fury white stuff, tartar is when it calcifies, you get more behind you lower front teeth becasue of the saliva ducts under the tongue causing more saliva to pool there, same goes for the upper back teeth where the other saliva ducts are, the calcium and phospate in saliva hardens plaque, some people just have more in their saliva than others and is nothing to worry about
    HTH

ok it wasnt a "chunk"...its more like a chip. It was small...like the size of ummm??? i cant think of something! lol

danni was it yellowish/brownish???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast