thread: Dental Plaque?

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

Question Dental Plaque?

Ok firstly I have to admit that I haven't been to a dentist since Mum used to make me go

I was at a bbq on Saturday and I thought I had some food stuck in the back of my tooth, next thing you know it came out! I had it in my hand and it looked like part of my tooth and I FREAKED OUT!

Then someone said it is probably plaque as it looks and feels just like a tooth.

PHEW (i hope!)

So basically I am off to the dentist on Wednesday and the lady said its most likely plaque and the dentist will get rid of all of it on my teeth.

So...does it hurt? what do they do...im scared!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

They scrape it and no it doesn't hurt. Then they'll probably clean them. Your teeth might be quite sensitive to hot & cold tho afterwards, coz they're suddenly 'exposed' without all the plaque covering them up

I hope that's all it was! Doesn't hurt to have a good clean at the dentists now & then anyway... coz they reach all the spots we miss

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

ok great! So its a scale and clean im having! I hope its not too expensive

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

nope.

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

Danni, if you have not been for ages, I would ring around and get prices, cos you will find different dentist will charge differently for the same procedures, and it could vary quite a bit.

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

From memory - I think a check and a clean cost me $130. I -think-. I had cover back then tho, so claimed some back... next time I won't have any cover.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    Cairns QLD

I'm pretty sure its a old wifes tale that pregnancy is bad for your teeth....

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

yep ive heard that a lot FJ, but i think its true due to lack of calcium?

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

If you are getting enough calcium you will be fine.
    If you aren't getting enough, of any vitamin/mineral, pregnant or not you body will take it from where it can.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    Cairns QLD

I think I was thinking of the one about loosing a tooth for each pg.

Can I ask with out being offensive... How does one build up enough plaque for a chunk to break away? I hadn't been to the dentist in years but when I went I only had a minimal build up of plaque from not flossing, but no where near enough for a chunk to break off.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

its on the back of the bottom front row teeth. If you do not have gaps in between your teeth, then you have plaque in between them

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    Cairns QLD

Yep, thats where the build up was on mine but I just don't get the "chunk" discription.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    Cairns QLD

like i said, its the description of it being a chunk that i don't get. am i just thinking bigger then what you actually mean?

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

I wondered the same thing actually FJ hehe.

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

hmm yeah - plaque is the white stuff you can scrape off with your fingernail.. and tartar is the hard stuff. I think. hehe.

Feb 2006
    melbourne

yep plaque is the fury white stuff, tartar is when it calcifies, you get more behind you lower front teeth becasue of the saliva ducts under the tongue causing more saliva to pool there, same goes for the upper back teeth where the other saliva ducts are, the calcium and phospate in saliva hardens plaque, some people just have more in their saliva than others and is nothing to worry about
    HTH

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2005
    in a house!

ok it wasnt a "chunk"...its more like a chip. It was small...like the size of ummm??? i cant think of something! lol

Feb 2006
    melbourne

danni was it yellowish/brownish???