Thread: HELP! Questions after a root canal

Default HELP! Questions after a root canal

I had the first part of a root canal this morning. I forgot to ask the dentist... I'll call her tomorrow but for tonight....

- The stuff they have packed the tooth with has had bits coming off it (the white stuff) is this normal?

- Can I brush my teeth normally?

It's so painful tonight i've been hammering some panadol but being that it's coming up to holidays, I don't want to get stuck somewhere with no access to a dentist and the stuff comes out of my tooth.

yep thats normal as its only a very temp. filling (but it wont fully fall out so dont worry) as for the pain, you should be almost out of pain, unless you had an infection at the time it was done, was that the case?

for me honey I didnt have any bits fall out at my first part or any part of my root canal. I dont think its normal, I would be calling them tomorrow.

when I had my root canal done, it was painful (very) for 1-3 days afterwards. The endodontist said it's because all the movement in the tooth can aggravate the nerve that sits underneath the tooth in the jaw. He recommended using nurofen and panadol together (make sure you don't take more than the maximum amount in 24 hours) as that is the most effective pain relief combo for dental pain. I pretty much got by on soft food that didn't need chewing for a couple of days but it got better really quickly. HTH

ETA I didn't have any stuff fall out either, except I found a few bits of the putty they used underneath the dental dam thing floating around, it was soft and rubbery not like a hard filling. Perhaps ring and check re this tomorrow if you can.

She didn't say anything about an infection. The anesthetic didn't fully wear off until about 3/4pm so the pain i can cope with (hey not as bad as childbirth LOL)
    I don't go back for another 2 weeks for the next part. Do I just brush as normal?

brush as normal, the filling is a putty like material so some may crumble and its ok, MD right nurofen and panadol/panadeine is best or mersyndol.
    remember that the nerve has been removed so you need to expect some pain, as long as it improves. they would have also out some material inside the tooth to help with any infection.

Thanks lovelies. I was just worried that something was wrong. I'll just take it as it comes.