Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Adoption Journey - General Discussion #1

Panthya Guest

LC, hows things going with you?

For me it seems like May is now taking forever to get here

We currently still have lots of things to do in the garden and house and there are still a couple of things to do in the nursery , such as finish putting the boarder up around the floor and moving some of the boxes and stuff we have put in the room to store them.

We have a bassinet, a cot which changes to a junior bed, a rocking chair, a bouncer, a musical swing chair, a couple of prams (one for the car, one for the house), a car seat, baby on board sign (already on the car), I painted a old set of draws Pink and Blue (to match the walls in the nursery) and we put that in the cuboard and put some of the baby clothes in it like booties and singlets. The other clothes I have we got baby coat hangers for and have hung them up.

I've brought some clothes in sizes from newborn up to size 2.

What ever clothes doesnt get used because of being too small can be given to friends or family members who get pregnant or can be sent to overseas orphanages.

I know having all this stuff already isnt the right thing for everyone, but its whats right for me

Hey P - I now what you mean about May taking FOREVER!!Wow you are so organised, I wish I was that organised. There is still this little piece of me that is finding it hard to start getting things together, the jinx factor (I really need to get over that!! LOL). But over Easter we a doing many things to the house. The room that will be the nursery will be completely cleaned out. I am then taking the wallpaper down and painting the room. It will be ready for a boarder.......just going to wait to find out if we need a boy one or a girl one. So that is my current goal, a little bit at a time. I have a have spotted a few cot / change table / wardrobe sets I like but I am holding off on that one for now.

Panthya Guest

LOL... I'm only organized because we have been trying for 12 years to have a family.

The nursery was started about 8 years ago and we would do a little bit and then stop for a while when things went backwards rather than forwards.

Then with the baby clothes we started to get some girls stuff when we started ICA, because adopting from China there was a higher chance we would get a daughter between 9 months and 2 years old, but we did get a couple of boys things just in case

But I had also been collecting things since I was 15 years old and coming from a big family - 3 older sisters, 2 older brothers and 2 younger sisters - plus my husband sister and brother, means we have so many nieces and nephews, ranging in age from 20 years down to a nephew being due this month and another baby due in October this year. So I've had so much practise with babies and what they need that I'm probably to well organized for my own good Yet I'll probably freak out completely when we actually have a baby of our own and will forget everything I think I know.

I'm so looking forward to it Even though I am still scared that nothing is going to work out and we wont get approved, but I'm working on being more positive I think its working a bit.

pebbles2820 Guest

Hi all,

I just have to say I wish you all so much luck and love. I have 3 beautiful children but had to have a tubal ligation and would have so loved to have more children. My DH and I have discussed adoption but unfortunately is not a financial possibility at the mo. Our other future plan is to become foster parents. Who knows what the future holds? There are so many children in need out there and I'm sure like you, we have so much love to give. I hope you experience all the joy and love I have.

Panthya Guest

Hi Pebbles,

Have you looked into Permanent Care as another option?

My husband and I are going to consider doing permanent care a few years after we have done our first adoption.

Panthya Guest

Hi lil_chookie,

I hope everything is ok with you, we missed you at the Education group on Monday 7th

The group was really good although a lot of the stuff being talked about is very similar to stuff we talked about with ICA Education groups in November.

Anyway I hope everything is well and that you are allowed and able to come to the second session, or does missing the first mean you have to wait until the June sessions so you can go to both?

Hi P,

I am facing my fears & we have decided to go down the IVF road for now.

Goodluck with you LA journey!

Panthya Guest

Hi lil_chookie,

I'm glad that everything is ok

Good Luck with your IVF journey. I'm sending you lots of good wishes for success

Warmest Regards.

Hi All,

Bfam - Thanks for your message! I was a bit excited when you said we might be able to attend a workshop as early as August (i had visions of it being next year sometime). I contacted Docs this morning to get the dates, and they said I should be able to get in to either the early or mid-August workshops, they are sending me a letter next week. It is sooooo nice to have a timeframe (at least for this first stage)!

Cheers,
    RG

Hidgi Guest

Not sure if anyone is still reading this one, but we have just, just started the ICA process in NSW. Any words of advice from anyone?

Default Hi

Hi Hidgi,

What stage are you up to? I can't tell you much sorry, we are waiting to attend the preparation seminar in early August - hopefully might have some more information after that.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

Cheers,
    RG

Hidgi Guest

Smile Hi

Hi RG,

We have only just posted the EOI paperwork through, so now waiting for them to read and I guess get back to us. Can I ask how long the process has taken you so far? How long ago did you send the EOI paperwork through? Hope you don't mind all the questions, this is such new territory for me!

H

No worries at all about asking questions, I just wish I could be more helpful!

Two weeks after I mailed the EOI, we received a letter back from Docs telling us that they were assessing our EOI and we could expect to hear from them again within two months. It actually only took 2 weeks from that point for DOCs to send us another letter inviting us to an adoption preparation seminar. They gave us a list of dates to choose from, starting from early August, and we rang and booked ourselves into the first one available (it costs $500 to attend). DOCs run a couple of these seminars each month, on a Thursday & Friday in Parramatta.

I've done a bit more reading on various web sites since then, and I think at the end of the seminar they will give us the application forms. After that, who knows!

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Cheers,
    RG

Hidgi Guest

Hi RG,

Thanks so much, that actually has been a great help. I wasn't sure how often they would run the seminars or how long they would take to process. Good luck with your seminar, and definitely keep us posted. I'm very excited for you guys!

H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12