Thread: Newborn Foster Carer?

Default Newborn Foster Carer?

Hey guys!

I am really interested in becoming a newborn foster carer as there is a HUGE need out there for caring people to take newborns into their homes. I know it will be heartbreaking, but those babies need me!! Anyone done this before??

I havent fostered newborns but i have been a foster parent before with kids ranging from 2 to 11. We didnt have a need for newborn fostering but if thats what is needed in your area then it will be so fantatic for you. All the best.

Jo

My IL's are forster carer's & had a newborn last year. She came from an addict & they were only meant to have her a week but had her for almost 3 months. It was really sad because the baby bonded with them & they also had to go through the baby's withdrawals from the drugs the mother had been taking while pg. MIL said it was really hard to give her back, they did all the hard work with her in the early days, weeks, got her through the hard part & then had to give her back.But thats what the job is all about. She went back to her mother when she was well enough to take her on again.

I know someone who's newborn was cared for by a foster mother for a week.
    She didn't know she was pg (long story) and was interstate when she went into labour and gave birth. BEcuase they didn't have a car/baby seat/anything she was not allowed to take the baby home for a week until they got it sorted and were 'inspected'. the baby was cared for in a suburb close to her home though, and she could visit practically anytime she liked.

My Aunt used to do this in the NT - actually she ended up adopting one of those little boys who isn't so little any more! She did find it heartbreaking but no more so than any other child she has cared for. My Aunt cares for a lot of children who have impairements of various descriptions - behaviour, medical, mental, physical... She does love it - it has of course had it's trials for her but she gets so much more out of it than is taken from her and she loves each and every one of those kids like they are one of her own two birth children. I think that you are a great woman to consider doing this.

Love MG

My mother and I have fostered babies and currently have a little girl with us. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

country_mum Guest

Hi.....this is also something I've been thinking of doing for a while. I guess the hardest part is just getting started. My 2 gorgeous adopted children were in foster care for 9 & 12 weeks prior to them joining our family. I do wonder though as to what the need would be these days for "newborn" foster carers.

It's definitely still needed. It's all down to timing though...on any one day seven or eight newborns may come into care across the state and then nothing for a month. But when they come in they usually stay for quite a long time, which means new carers are needed to take on the next placement...etc.

dsburling Guest

Hello.... just researching adoption at the moment. Is it possible for people to adopt the newborn that they may foster if they were accepted at a forster carer?

My Inlaws have another newborn in their care atm. Yet another baby from a addict mother. the courst are trying to have the baby placed in care for at least 2 years. How sad is that!

It is generally not possible to adopt a child who you have fostered. However, a significant percentage of foster children go on to be placed in Permanent Care, which is quite similar to adoption. The main difference is that the child is not 'yours' by law, but remains under the guardianship of the Department of Human Services. For all other intents and purposes, the child is part of your family. You also continue to receive the reimbursements for day-to-day costs which are given to foster carers.

You don't have to become a foster carer to apply for Permanent Care of a child in Victoria.

Aren't there some rules regarding the age of your own youngest child?

I looked into foster care when Taylah was little. At the time your youngest had to be over 2. But that was nearly 9 years ago...

There are rules regarding adoption but I'm not aware of what they are at present, as so few happen in Victoria every year. In regards to foster care in Victoria, there are no rules regarding the age of your own children.