Thread: is it worth it???

kiwistrying Guest

Default is it worth it???

hello everyone here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ,

just wanted to introduce us and see if anyone else is having a similar problem.
    we are a couple with three kids aged 17, 7 and 9 months with another due late Jan 07. we are also hopefully going to adopt the child of Kristals brother from western samoa but are getting no help and lots of static and red tape from all the departments we have contacted with regard to the official side of things.

can anyone show us the way to do this so it doesnt involve 5gazillion phone calls to everywhere and so much stress that we wonder if it is worth it after all.

thanks for reading this. help if you can and want to.

cheers,

Keith

Are you in NZ or here in OZ? I ask because in NZ it is usually easier through the sibling or familial adoption laws they have in place to accomodate the extended family issues that Maori and pacific Islander families can go through. Here they don't seem to have the same sort of understanding of these issues.....sorry I can't be of further help.

kiwistrying Guest

Default thank you

We are in Australia at present and the dramas to do this are huge. No private adoption seems to be recognised by the various departments that you need to deal with. One says that it is all good if the adoption is finalised here, then another says that we probably wont get an adoption visa to bring the baby into this country because of some out dated law.

Why cant they just let it be easy and perhaps a few more of the beautiful kids around the world would be able to enjoy all the world has to offer. I guess if the politicians wanted to adopt, things would change quickly then.!!!!!

Thats my whinge for the day anyway, thanks for reading

till next time

There are a lot of issues with international adoption of a relative. Basically the Department of Human SErvices (here in Victoria) has to be absolutely convinced that you are not adopting the child as a way around immigration law. So what is important, is that there a) is no-one in the home country able to care for the child (ie no parents and extended family) and b) that you are the closest relative able to provide care.

I suggest you contact an experienced family/immigration lawyer in your area who may be able to provide you with some more answers. If you need some direction as to who to contact, please post again and I'll see what I can do.

Best wishes.

kiwistrying Guest

Default thanks

Thanks heaps,

Thats where the problem starts, we dont know her side of the family at all. Being from the pacific islands there probably is extended family that could look after the child but both parents can see that there is more oppurtunity for the child here or in NZ.

I tried to read the adoption laws that are downloadable from the immigration site , but i think you need to be a lawyer to even understand what they are on about, On one hand they say we can adopt with no worries if one of the adoptive parents is an australian citizen, which one is, but then they say that we cant unless we live overseas for at least 12 months first.

We dont want to shell out heaps of cash for a lawyer only to be told that there is no way at all to do this.
    The other thing i thought of was to have us put on the birth certificate as the natural parents, and not the actual parents. Is this legal at all??????? it would make it so much easier.

Thanks again for the help. As i said before, why do they have to make it so hard, all we want to do is help out a family member and give a child a good life!!!!!

cheers all, stay safe.

I'm stepping a little into giving "advice" here, so I'll put in my usual disclaimer...

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE. If you wish to obtain advice in relation to your particular situation, please contact your own lawyer.

I would not advise you to put your name on the birth papers. In Australia, this is an offence.

Contact your local Department of Human Services (child welfare) office and ask to speak to someone in the Adoption and Permanent Care Team. They can give you free advice as to the process required in your State.

kiwistrying Guest

Thanks heaps,

I know that putting our name on the papers isnt the right thing to do but it really annoys me so much that they make this so hard, that this is what we feel like doing.
    We will make yet more calls, and see what we come up with.

We rang the family court today and they said that we cant do anything till we apply and given our situation and the reasons we want to adopt the application will probably be denied. But they suggested we ring the Supreme court, who wont even give info without seeing an application from family court for adoption which will be denied before it even gets there, so round and round we go again!!!!!!

Sorry im so sour and negative about the system but something which can be as simple as sign the papers and pay the fee, shouldnt be made so hard by pen pushers!!! There has to be checks of prospective adoptive parents but someone needs to be more in control of the entire situation!!!

Thanks again for all the assistance, im going to take two panadol to ease my head, go and scream into a pillow and maybe , just maybe ill be better tomorrow.

thanks again,

Keith