Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recently sat the STAT test???

Only 10 days to go!

Hi,

I thought I would join in the thread, I havent booked yet but plan on sitting the stat test in a couple of weeks!

best of luck Jas! I would recommend getting a good of logic puzzles, and maybe sudoku. That should prepare you for it

Is it worth paying for the online prep tests??????

I don't know what the online prep tests are, but I would say no. The type of questions require a lot of flitting back and forth between questions and graphs, which is pretty hard online. I would suggest you get the practice booklet from STAT, much easier to have a go at. Also if you get a book of logic puzzles from the newsagent, and another of sudoku. They will get you thinking the way the tests want you to. Lastly get an old novel, Charles ****ens, or something along those lines. You will likely be tested on a block of text from an older type book so reading these types of books will get you into the swing of the language used.

I am glad I found this thread I need to sit the STAT test and also possibly write a PCA in order to try to get my rank high enough to get into Griffith Uni's BMid. My current ranking (from my 1994 Senior results) is 80. And I need an 88 or better to get in. My rank has been good enough to get into ACU Brisbane's BMid in the past but I really really want to get into Griffiths. I'm told it's a fantastic course.

Has anyone here written a PCA?

I'm not familiar with the PCA, can you explain what it is? I had to write a PI statement, which was basically an essay split into separate questions that detailed why I wanted to do the course and what skills/experience I had. Would that be similar?

I'm not sitting the test. Just reading the thread though, I felt all your nerves and the anticipation of the results! everyone Hope you've all done well

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I'm not familiar with the PCA, can you explain what it is? I had to write a PI statement, which was basically an essay split into separate questions that detailed why I wanted to do the course and what skills/experience I had. Would that be similar?
    Yeah I think it might be similar Traveller. PCA stands for Personal Competancies Assessment and from what I can gather it's an essay type thing where you have to explain your skills and experience. I'll have to get onto the QTAC website and try to find out more about it. They've told me I've got a better chance at getting the rank I need if I sit the STAT plus write a PCA.

I also wrote a PI like Traveller. When you go to write your PCA, copy the guidelines of what you have to write into a word document and spend a couple of days thinking about what you want to write in it and do a draft. It took me a week to write my PI form and I think thats what got me over the line because my STAT results were not good!!! Also check to see if the uni has a special entry scheme for mature age students. Our uni did. It was called SEAS (special entry access scheme) and our uni had a certain quota of these places they had to allocate each year. So that also gave me a bit more preference over someone coming out of high school because they had to fill the SEAS places. Good luck with the STAT. (There really isn't any way to study for it either).

I feel really old but I was the last of the old TE score in Qld back in 1991, and so I thought I would have to complete a lot of study to bump my score up. Then I found out about the STAT in 2003 but I didn't understand what my actual ranking is until 2009, I then got into Uni, but I never managed to get there.

I highly recommend doing the STAT.

I will be doing the STAT on the 19th of October and I'm so petrified I think I just peed a little bit.

Good luck Shades!!!

How did everyone else go?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I will be doing the STAT on the 19th of October and I'm so petrified I think I just peed a little bit.
    Assuming it is still the same it's just like the end of year 12 test - so it's a lead pencil one where you fill in the dots. It's been the same for decades in terms of filling it in. Multiple choice.

It's testing things like your language skills, maths skills, logic skills so they're the things to study up on.

Don't be petrified Shades, it really isn't too bad. Just make sure you carefully read the questions and you'll be find

I am also sitting the STAT test in Nov, i am feeling ok about most of it but the essays scare me!

QLD unis apparently only require the multiple choice test so no essays for me thank goodness.

Hey all

I recently sat the STAT test....I was feeling pretty confident having done the practice papers and was completing them well within the time frames and scoring between 59-65 out of a possible 70 HOWEVER the test on the day was so so so much harder, do not have results through yet but have a feeling they will be terrible
    I feel i would have been better off not doing it!! I sat the test in order to apply for BMid at UTS, I did already meet entry requirements having previously studied at diploma level (although in an unrelated field) but just wanted some extra 'brownie' points as competition is fierce! Requires a result of 87 or above to get in and if I havnt made it (im pretty sure I wont have) I cant simply choose not to give results on my uni application as UAC have them on file, which is who you apply to to get into uni also.

SIGH...oh well, too late now. Does anyone know if you can resit at any point?? lol

Good Luck to all awaiting results xxx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast