Thread: Midwifery students

Default Midwifery students

Hello, everyone,

I am just wondering if there are any mid students currently doing the Bachelor of Mid at Monash Uni in Melbourne (Peninsula campus)? I am hoping to enrol next year and would really like some info regarding what the course is really like, the work load etc... I have 4 kids and need to work. They only offer the course full time and I really want to know just what full time means with regard to contact hours. Also how much of the course is clinical placement? Is a clinical placement a full 5 shifts a week?

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Cheers
    Clare

Hi,
    I want to apply next year too. I asked about the actual application process and am waiting for someone to come along who knows a little about it.

I don't know if it will help, but I know that our nursing students come once a week as a first year, twice as second years and three times as third years, during the uni semester, other time they spend in class.

But.... some places do block placements.

So, sorry probably not very helpful

Are you excited about applying? Not long to go now!!!

Meagan

Hi Meagan,

Thank you for the reply.

I am really excited. I have just completed a certificate course for Div2 (enrolled nurses) in care of mum and baby and did a week placement in a big private maternity hospital here in Melb. It was the best week of my working career, which is 20 years+, and I just know that my decision to do the degree is the right one for me.

I will be applying early August when VTAC allows applications and keep my fingers crossed. Where are you planning on applying to. Do you have someone to help you with your beautiful twin boys? That must be a challenge for you!!! We should stay in touch and cheer each other on along the way........ ;0)

Cheers Clare

Hi,
    Sure I would love to chat along the way!!!!!

I am sooooooooo excited, it isn't long now, only two sleeps till August!!!!!!! I hope they really do open applications in early August!!!!

I am an enrolled nurse too... it is a great career and I love it, but I really want to move into mid.... have for years but honestly didn't really want to do my RN's because I knew it wouldn't be my passion.... they are only starting BoM here next year and it will be part time as well so I am dying to get it.......

Are you working at the moment as an EN? I work the major hospital here... on a very busy medical ward covers cardiology, respiratory, endocrine, rheumatology, some dermatology plus we get all the leftovers from surgical etc I love my job and my ward and the girls I work with, I just wish we were a maternity ward!!! I would love to take them all with me.... but alas!!!

I am so jealous that you are allowed to do placement in maternity hospitals, they are just in the process here of changing the Cert 4 in Health - Nursing to a diploma, so I have decided that if I don't get in, I will convert my certificate to diploma which is not to much work and/or do the womens and childrens elective they have just bought in, maybe just the elective, we will see.

I don't have twin boys, I lost a twin pregnancy nearly two years ago, but I do have two gorgeous boys aged 11 and 6 who are lovely!!! You?

Do you know much about the application process for BoM? Especially entry for Mature aged??? I know the nursing can go towards it, although very different types of care, I am studying again an the moment Drug admin, so that will also help, I also have Cert 4 in aged care..... I will have really good references from my CNC, CDN and there is a midwife I can ask.... I am going to ask if I can go down and spend some time in the antenatal clinic, L&D, and postnatal or even community in my own time as professional development but I have a feeling they will say no because of insurance or something stupid like that!!!!!
    But... I am going to support a lovely lady I met yesterday with her birth in December... I am so excited!!!!!!

Take Care and talk soon

Meagan

Hi Meagan,

We have so many similarities it is scary. I am also doing the meds course at the moment.....about half way thru and finding it really dry and boring. The maternity course I just did was actually an elective of the diploma as you mentioned. I only did it for my own personal interest but hopefully I will have got a job out of it too!!

I work at a public hospital that is acute medical, rehab, aged care and pshyc. I work on nurse pool so I go to all the wards across the campus and fill in for sick leave etc. I have been there for such a long time now it doesn't phase me at all. I decided to do the meds course this year because if you are looking for work now you need to have it.

In melbourne we apply for uni thru VTAC (vic tertiary admissions centre). You should have the same in your state. You can either buy the guide at the newsagent or go online and all the application details will be there for you. Some uni's have extra application requirements etc. Also ask the clinical edcucator at your work to help you.....they get excited about that sort of stuff. I hope you get in........it is such a special job and the people in it are so commited and passionate.

On a different note, I am so sorry about your loss and now understand what you meant about your angel babies. It must have been so hard for you and that experience alone will enable you to help so many people.

I have 4 kids, 3 girls 19, 17 and 14 and a son 15. They keep me busy and are great kids. It is nice as they get older. I really like the people they are becoming and love the time we spend together. My partner has 2 hildren 19 and 10 but we only have them every second weekend and school holidays, not so much the 19 year old as she is doing her own thing these days.

I best go and do my homework. I have a few assignments due and with working am finding it hard to get the work all done!!

Take care and talk soon.

Hi,
    I just printed ALL the stuff off!!!!!! I am soooooooo excited I danced around my family room!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Meagan

Well, now I have that out of my system!!!

I did relief when I first started, it was great, learnt heaps!!! But I found eventually I needed a home, and i love my ward... great supportive bunch of girls... I must remind my CNC how much I love her and ask her to write me a great reference!!!

I often precept the student nurses, and I get really excited because they are so excited and to see it from fresh eyes makes me excited about simple things like blood pressures and peak flows, teaching 6 RN students about that was the funniest thing you have ever seen, they were like little children on their first day of Kindy, so excited and keen to learn!!! It makes it so rewarding when they thank you for teaching them something!!!

You must be very busy, four teenagers?????? Good on you for studying with all those children in the house!!!!

UAC is still not showing admission info, but the Uni has up their info and it is so where I am at right now it is just soooooooooooooo exciting!!!! One step closer!!!

I really want to go and play down in the maternity building, but I have a feeling that I wont be covered by insurance, even if I put it as part of my staff development.....

It is great to talk to someone who is as excited as I am!!!! You need PM so I can tell you my email..... well here it is.... I will remove it soon, I think you are online right now it is
    Talk soon

Meagan
    Last edited by megs11; August 1st, 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: removed my email

sorry posted it twice... see I am excited

I have tried for ages to msg u but having trouble tonight....forum must be busy tonight.

You go girl!! We are all dancing in our family room here for you!!! Have sent you an email and you can contact me on msn if you like.

Would like to hear about the doula course you are doing.....very interested in doing that myself.