Thread: Will it work Full Time Study & a baby?

Default Will it work Full Time Study & a baby?

I have posted this in the miscarriage section then found this section of BB and was hoping to some help! Is it possible? Has any gone back to full time study, had a baby and managed?

I have had a secret wanting to be a primary school teacher for the past couple of years and done nothing about it. I was not sure if I could committ to full time study or if we could manage on a reduced income.

I am now trying to figure out if I could handle going to uni full time for 4 years while hopefully have a couple of babies.

DH and I have decided when we do have a baby we can manage financially with me not going back FT or even PT for that matter. So I was thinking I could study and have a baby at the same time?

Any thoughts from those of you with a baby??

I am currently studying part time with a young baby (was working part time too until recently). The last term was pretty hard, as I was often too tired to do any of the readings (I am doing a Masters in Education Leadership). Having said that, I am considering not working this term and doing full time study, although will probably go for the part-time study option again. So in answer to your question - yes, I think full time study with a baby is definitely possible, but you would have to be VERY committed, as it would be tough.

I did a .75 load last year and I'm going full time this year. It is a huge committment and takes lots of organization and time but it is doable! Last year I wished I had waited another year to start but I've started now lol! Good luck with it!!

I think it's probably possible with one little one but as usual with all of these things it depends on the baby...which doesn't help much does it!

I was at uni when I unexpectedly got pregnant with my daughter - I dropped it because I couldn't even get past the morning sickness part let alone the parenting LOL. But she was a very undemanding baby and a fantastic sleeper (slept through consistently from about 10 weeks old). I went back to work full time when she was about 5 months old and it was a breeze. Really easy so yeah, in that scenario it'd be ok.

No way in hell I could have if DS was my first though - the first 12 months of his life was a sleep deprived twilight zone. I just couldn't have done it especially exams when you need to study, get a decent amount of sleep and basically be focussed on that alone for a week or two of every semester. Just not possible with Mr Demanding LOL.

I'd say keep an open mind, apply and if it's too hard you can always take a few semesters off. Think about what support networks you have around you also - family, friends etc that might be able to help when you have assignments due or exams.

It really depends on your circumstances. I've just finished 1 year full time study with a toddler and getting preg half way through... It was really hard for a few months when I had shocking morning sickness and hardly made it to any classes - I got lots of extensions! I also have a very supportive dh who works 4 days on 4 days off so he was around lots to look after ds.

If you have difficult pregs followed by bubs reluctant to sleep it will be very hard, but you could breeze through pregs and get a good sleeper, so you won't really know till you try. I say go for it, and know you can always defer if you need to. Good luck!

I'm starting full time study this year, and I'm confident it's doable. I'll be putting my little one in day care a couple of days a week, the other days he'll stay with my mum. I'll have to be really dedicated, but hopefully it's manageable.

s361768 Guest

I just finished my undergraduate in Arts, it took me 6 years as I had 3 babies along the way, in that time I did between 1-3 subjects a semester so there was a lot of time where I was studying full time.

I did exams and essays with morning sickness or heavily pregnant because I just wanted to finish and I gave myself no choice. I took a semester off after my 2nd son and then a semester off after my 3rd son.

I am due to have my fourth next week on Friday (1st Feb) and I start my Graduate Diploma of Education full time on 11th Feb - I hope I don't go too far post dates. As I want to be there first week.

Anything is possible with the right support. My partner looks after our children while I am at uni, so he is a house dad, I know if I didn't have him to help me, my future would be me stuck at home on the mothers pension till I am almost 40...