Thread: Dairy free diet??? HELP

Default Dairy free diet??? HELP

I know this sounds silly but what can and can't I have on a Dairy free diet?

Obviously I know no milk, youghurt, cheese etc, but where is there "hidden" dairy and what should I look for on labels etc??

I have been told there is milk products in bread???? Does anyone know if this is true? Any help with what to eat would be greatly appreciated....

Some breads do have dairy in them. Some even have egg (wtf?) But it's generally the ones w that are "value added" Milk has to be declared on the ingredients list. Look for milk, milk protein, casein, whey powder, skim milk powder, milk solids non-fat.
    Almost all sweet biscuits have milk in them. A great range is Leda brand, especially their Gingernut, which I reckon are better than real gingernuts. For cooking, McVities digestives are really good for pie bases etc.
    Up until last year, potato chips were pretty easy, but now almost every brand uses milk solids in their flavoured chips. Black and Gold are good, still cow-free. Vege Chips are brilliant, I can't go past them, or Thomas Chipman corn chips. Other brand plain corn chips usually OK too.
    Chocolate, of course, has milk. Brands without are Green and Black's Maya Gold and 70% Cocoa. (labels in some states claim that they contain milk, but this is due to being processed on same equipment, they are just lawsuit-proofing) Whittakers Bittersweet Dark and 70% cocoa are also dairy free.
    I can't think of much else, but hit me if you need any ideas or advice - I've been dairy free for just over a year now, and I've learned some awesome stuff.

I am totally dairy free.

Some breads, yes. Have to check the labels.

Some cakes also make me mighty ill with hidden dairy.

Dove and Nestle brand chocolates used to be a killer...made me so sick!

Obviously milk and it's by-products...cream, butter etc

I love soy now! Always liked it but am so grateful to be able to have a substitute. Some soy yohgurts are pretty good too.

Yeah we have been dairy free for 2 years now. You will find that you have to do more in the kitchen and working from scratch if you want stuff. I wasn't willing to give up baked goods entirely, so I started baking and freezing large batches to have when I wanted it.

The Woollworths homebrand compound cooking dark chocolate has no milk products in it. I buy it in large amounts and use it to bake with. I am making my girls easter eggs this year with it with some coconut and marshmallows.

A lot of chips and savoury biscuits have milk in them as well. If you are in a rush & don't want to have to read chip labels etc, always buy plain. Different brands have different things. Generally milk is put in as skim milk powder or milk powder but occasionally you will read lactose or casein.

Here is an easy-as-pants cake recipe:
    2 1/2 cups dried fruit (mixed dried fruit good, or dried apricots and desiccated coconut, just dates)
    1 pint liquid (570 mL I have a pint glass that I use. Liquid can be juice, milk/soy milk,even used coffee)
    1 cup All Bran
    1 cup sugar (any kind)

Put all these ingredients together and leave to sit for one hour. Add 1 cup flour, put in a greased cake tin, bake for 1 hour at 180oC. It looks really runny, but the bran sucks up all the juice and helps it to hold together. This week I did it with coffee and dates and sent it to DH's work where I am now something of a culinary hero.

Snugglybean- Thank you SO MUCH... missing cakes and breads etc the most!!!!

Plenty more where that one came from!

One of these days I will post a thread with all my recipes :-)

Hi girls, this is going to sound like a bit of a rant but I am actually after some info from people who have obivously researched the issue.

I have no problems with dairy (to my knowledge!!) but my DH is on lactose-free milk and both my boys can't seem to handle milk protein which SUCKS! It is such a pain not to just be able to give them cheese and normal lactose free milk and to have to constantly wonder if the are getting enought fats from avocado, linseed, sardines and so on

Most of my DH's family, though has a problem with milk, so I am not surprised (to the extent that one of my nephews couldn't handle even breastmilk without taking some lactase supplement before a feed). My question is does anyone in here know whether children tend to grow out of milk allergies/intolerances? I don't necessarily want to hijack LucaJack'sMum's thread so please feel free to PM if you prefer.

LucaJack'sMum, you might find that if you google "gluten-free" cooking websites you will find plenty of great recipies, as many coeliacs are also dairy-intolerant. A guy I work with swears that adding applesauce to a chocolate cake recipie instead of butter works wonders, and you can always use Nutlex intead of butter in cooking

I became lactose intolerant after having DS.

You also need to look out for whey powder too.

There is a site on the net which has products listed which are dairy free. I found some dairy free dips and they are yummy. It is an australian based website- lactose.com.au (Mods remove web address if necessary).

I had a hydrogen breath test and was given an information pamphlet following the test and it says that cheese and yoghurts are tolerated ok by most lactose intolerant people. I find the cheese ok to tolerate but some yoghurts are really bad. Try Liddells for lactose free yoghurts.

I take my own lactose free milk to get a cuppacino or latte made from coffee shops and they are ok with it.

It is a bummer.

Rory,
    I was born intolerant to milk, including breast milk.
    For the first 18 months of my life I would pass out, completely unconcious, on one drop of milk.

I grew out of it but my cousin who was the same as me when she was born six months latter, has still not grown out of it more than 26 yrs latter.

Good luck.

Sjl