Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting digital photos printed

Question Getting digital photos printed

Ok, this is probably going to be one of the most stupid questions asked.

When I get digital photos printed, can I getit done off a cd? Or does it have to be striaght off the memory card? I have been putting the photos on the computer & deleting them from the camera as I go. The I thought OH NO! I don't know if they can be printed from CD. Can they??? I know I can printed them out myself but I want better quality then what my home set up would be capable of.
    Please save me from being shot from DH & tell me its ok & they can be printed from CD.......

I can answer this one - yep ! I've seen machines that don't take USB drives, but never one without a disk drive.

Is this your first 'digital' baby ?

Last weeks womans day had vouchers for harvey norman prints - 30 free 6x4 and 10 free 6x8.

yep, first digital baby!! How did you know?? LOL.
    Will have to track down last weeks WD!

Most places have CD roms at their photo booths now If they don't just go for a quick stroll to the next place!

Should i keep the photos at their original size for printing?

*TamaraP* Guest

Its best to keep them at the original size... because adjusting them can cause the pixels to go funny giving you a bad quality photo.

Use Big W, we have found them to be good for prices, Kmart tend to be a bit "okay"

Yes, absolutely keep them at their original size. That way you are sure to have a good pic (as long as the resolution on the camera is set ok ).

abs Guest

the bigger the res, the better the quality (hence why all the fuss about HDTV and HDDVD/BluRay etc)

Also means the bigger the res, the bigger the pictures can be printed before looking "strange". We had a photographer come in a little while ago, supplied us with low-res (good for emailing 600x400) and high-res (2000x3000) on a CD. We've printed 4 off at about 8x12" and one to come even bigger (for our bedroom wall) - they look FANTASTIC

Thanks heaps. The camera is a 5mp, 10optical zoom. The current size when I open a pic on the photo editor thing comes up as 1932x2576 pixils & the DPI is set at 72. Does that sound about right?

abs Guest

they'll give fantastic prints Fi !!

Don't worry about the DPI - it's virtually meaningless these days

Debbie Lee Guest

Fiona - I order all my photos online. They get printed in NZ and usually arrive within the week... only 15c a print too! It's called bigphoto (dot com dot au). You download a small program where you can upload, choose the size of your photos and crop them (again, important not to fiddle with the size of the photo... just keep them the same size as your camera loads them). If you order a heap of them, it can take a while for all the photos to upload but I'm extremely happy with their service.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

FJ the Harvey Norman at McGraths Hill is good but ring and check their CD is working (takes 10 -15mins self service) and the one in Richmond MP takes CD too (they do them for you

cool thanks

Just sending my first order of digital prints off. Giving this Bigphoto a go.

Let us know how you go with quality at BIg Photo!

I have been using Harvey norman as it was closer for work at one stage, now its not, but next year will be so will be going back. Very happy with there quality and I have had enlargements done as well.

One word of advice, may sure you save your photos on your home computer not just a cd, and i dont know back it up somewhere else too! Recentally i know of someone who didnt do this and lost a LOT of photos when there PC crashed! Now i will take my own advice and make copies of my recent pics!

Summer, Don't worry about the photo backing up! We had to reformat our PC just a few weeks back. Lost alot of stuff .

Oh no, thats not good at all. Im sure you will have plenty of new memories to take now with beautiful Isla on the scene and ur family

We had all our photos on CD as well so it was ok in that way. there was alot of other things lost though, like photos that had been emailed etc. Assignments, tax stuff, music etc etc. I have slowly been putting all the photos back on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast