Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alana and Cystic Fibrosis

*Yvette* Guest

Lara I don't think it's nuts at all worrying about people smoking around Alana or wanting to hold her. I can't stand being around smoke myself, and I certainly don't want it around my kids. You've reminded me of a time I went to a party at my cousin's house, and as soon as she opened the door, a friend of hers I'd never met tried to take Angus off me for a hold. I wouldn't hand him over! I'd never even met her before. I love to hold other people's babies, but would wait for an offer. Usually I'm happy to hand my kids to other people, but when I want to and feel comfortable doing so. If you have a child who is vulnerable like Alana, it would be only natural to be more cautious & protective of her. Some people are a tad lacking in common sense and sensitivity.

We go to bed at 6.30 ourselves! We have a tv in the bedroom and watch it til we fall asleep, which for me atm can be as early as 9.00 some nights. The kids come in and out til it's their bedtime, and we're up and down a bit til they're all settled, but it feels like that's our knock off and relax time.. We've been meaning to try to stay up later & sit in the loungeroom instead. Maybe after the new babies are settled we'll get better at it.

Lindsay says he's happy to talk to you about caring for CF kids anytime, he loves to use his nursing experience & chat about medical stuff. I'm sure you already have heaps of support & good advice, but he's here reading all my posts and taking an interest. If he does start talking to people directly I'll have to get him to create his own forum name. Maybe that way I can find out what goes on in the men only threads, lol.

Thanks Christy and Yvette! And Yvette say thanks to Linsday. I really appreciate his offer and will take him up on it. Maybe he will need his on BB name.

Bloke D'Yvette Guest

Hiya Lara
    It's Lindsay here..........Yvette's DH. I thought I'd better get my own membership, as Yvette suggested........I don't think I'll get much of a 'look-in' sharing hers, somehow
    I will be pleased to help in any way I can, though as Yvette has said and, as I know from experience, there prob isn't too much you aren't already aware of as regards CF.
    No matter..........just let me know. My particular areas of interest/expertise/knowledge etc are all aspects of medicine, anatomy, physiology etc but of course I will gladly help with anything at all at any time, if I'm able to
    Keep well and best regards
    Lindsay

katanya Guest

Lara I just peeked in to see what you guys are up to, and I read the part about smoking..believe me I get irrate at people just walking past Felix with a Cigerette!

The thing that IRKS me is whenever I visit the Gold Coast Hospital there is only 1 entrance and there are ALWAYS heaps of dregs smoking out there, and I have to pass through it with Felix, it makes me furious everytime, and I have decided that I am going to print up some flyers telling them about Felix and what them smoking could do to affect him further..I have to do something because I am ready to have a run in with them :evil:

Anyhow sorry to vent on your thread but I have a feeling you'll understand.

Katanya I do understand. Frank and I always discuss this. I have become a smoking nazi and just do not tolerate it at all. And mind you I once smoked. Yuck!!!!!

Monash hospital is the same. I think that it should be definitely banned from outside of entrance ways to hospitals and even shopping centres.

Being an ex-smoker (2 1/2 years) I realise how selfish I was. I had no concerns for what it would do to others, like Alana and Felix. I must admit I do have some guilt about it. I know how hard it is to give up so I certainly don't want to make people feel bad.

Hey Linsday aka Bloke D'Yvette. Thanks very much for your interest in Alana. It can be a relief sometimes when somebody knows about CF so you don't have to explain everything. And feel free to ask any questions aswell. Frank and I have an open policy in regards to Alana's CF. I don't want her growing up feeling embarrassed or ashamed of it. We figure if we talk about it freely then Alana will know that its not that big of a deal. IYKWIM.

katanya Guest

I think the thing that annoys me about these people is they are usually patients and they seem to have no regard for their own health let alone anyone elses..My DP just gave up smoking and he was ALWAYS a very considerate smoker, NEVER smoked around me while pregnant, and NEVER around Felix, even before that he always smoked outside..I guess I am just used to him and think everyone is like that..obviously not..
    The worst thing is there is a courtyard inside the hospital ground that they obviously created to try to deal with the issues, but still they perch out there..I just can't go to them now because obviously it would make the problem for Felix worse..so I thought I could write it out and hand out the flyers..they'll probably stub their cigerettes out on it but at least I will feel better..

Bloke D'Yvette Guest

I was the same, I like to think, when I did smoke. I gave up in 1993. I always tried to keep away from anyone whom it might offend and was very mindful of it doing so.
    As an ex-smoker, I'm now so anti-smoking that I find it intolerable to be anywhere near smoking. I guess it's only through quitting that one can fully realize just how dreadful it is to be in the company of smoking.
    As for anyone with a chronic and/or acute respiratory issue, of which CF certainly is, it's an absolute no-no for them to be anywhere near to anyone smoking or smoke of any kind. Some people will just never get it and, even if they did, would be far too ignorant/arrogant to be mindful of it anyway.
    If you think you may have over-reacted, you should see me!!
    cheers and best regards
    Lindsay

I'm the same with my kids. If we're out somewhere and someone lights up, I nicely ask them to put it out or move right away.

Apart from the whole passive smoking thing, Zeke still has a stridor (sp?) from his first heart surgery (the surgeon nicked a vocal cord with the scalpel and he has a paralysed vocal cord).

I was out at the park yesterday, and there was a mother there with her baby son smoking away while she held him. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

*Yvette* Guest

Smoking - blergh! I remember the days of working in an office with a chain smoker sitting opposite, and wondering why smoking was allowed in restaurants. Now my dreams have all come true, almost. Pubs are next (now that I rarely go into one). Next stage entrances! I hate walking past the smokers to get into any building anywhere, shopping centres, hospitals, office buildings. I hold my breath, but my baby can't do that. And don't get me started on the buts! I've had guests at my house who smoke, and given them an ashtray for outside, and still find buts in the garden.

But hospitals, that's just obvious isn't it. A letter to the hospital perhaps Katanya - let them be the ones who have to do the flyers. Sounds like a good Current Affair story....

Oh, and hello to the new guy....

Just wanted to give an update on Alana's weight. She put on close to 1300g in two months, so she now weighs 8120g. I am thrilled and so will her paed. We see him on Monday. I bet we have another two month app. Woo Hoo!

*Yvette* Guest

Great news Lara!

Lara that's really good news... I just checked out your little blossom's web site too, and may I say that she is an absolute stunner with all that dark hair!

Yay Alana!!! Just had a look at her website too Lara, she looks like a little doll

Thanks! I like to think she's a stunner too!LOL! Actually we have been told so many times she looks like a little doll. Its all the hair.

YAY Lara - that is fantastic news!!! \/

She's gorgeous! Love that hair too! WOW!

We saw Alana's Paed today and he was thrilled. She is now in the 50th percentile, which is great considering when we first went to him she was in the 10th. It was a quick appointment and we don't have to go back for another 2 months! YAY!

Also saw her Dietician and we are now starting on meat. For some reason I feel a little nervous about this. I guess its that "am I doing this right" thing. She also wants me to feed her solids first and then her formula. Don't know how Alana is going to like that. Poor Mum she will have to deal with the first feed like that tomorrow. I'll be a work.

Anyway all is good.

That is awesome news Lara! Congratulations on the jump! And I had a quick squizz and I have to say she's as cute as a button, I love all that hair! I hope the feeding goes well!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast