Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Hip Dysplaysia Support Group #3

Oh, also, does anyone have any recommendations of who to see in Perth? Thanks!

Hey ladies. Just popping in as DD was diagnosed today. Still feeling overwhelmed but I'll be back later to post more

How are you going, PZ?

HI ladies,

our DD is due to go back to orthopaedic surgeon for review now that she is walking. (She was in a pavlick from 4 days old for 3 & 1/2 months). I am a bit worried as she throws her left leg a bit, and her left hip was always her worst. Her appt isn't for another month, so I guess I just have to wait and see.

How is everyone else doing? it has been very quiet in here.

Hello Hip Experts,

DS is about 2 weeks old and I have to take him for an ultrasound on his hip in a month's time. They said it's clicky but not dislocatable. I don't really understand what that means and whether he's likely to need a brace. If he does, we'll get through it so I'm not super stressed - but I was wondering if any of you experts could shed light on this?

Thanks xo

Surprised - Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm assuming he was diagnosed with a clicky hip at birth? My daughter was the same, and unfortunately they couldn't tell if if was dislocated - only an ultrasound can do that. She was checked by two pediatricians, the midwives at the hospital and our MCHN. The click was there at birth and then again a few days later (before we were discharged from her being born) but then it stopped and everyone agreed that it didn't feel dislocated. The earlier you get an ultrasound, the better. We had our ultrasound done at 7 weeks and it ended up being a long road for us. This time around, we're going to get baby checked at 2 weeks. A brace is usually used for a dislocation, so if your son's click turns into nothing, then he won't need one. Good luck!

Milly - Good luck with the check up! The first one for us was the most horrible, was convinced we were going to need further treatment. We didn't. Hope it all goes well

Hi Everyone,

Its been a long time since Ive popped into one of these threads. I was just wanting to pick your brains and hopefully some of the recovered babies parents are still around to help answer this one.

Many years ago DS was diagnosed with moderate bilateral hip displacia. It was corrected with harnesses and ever since he has had a yearly x-ray of his hips. I was just wondering if this is standard practice and if so how long it generally continues to? What age? I was under the impression that once it was fixed it was fixed for life, so not really sure if we are needing to follow this up each year? We have recently changed medical practices so not sure if its something that I should mention or not?

Thanks for your time.

Default Hip Dysplaysia Support Group #3

Haven't seen this thread in ages.

Abigail - DD has yearly x-rays after having her Dysplasia corrected by a brace, not sure how long for, but is my understanding is really just a precaution to confirm is all developing as it should be.

PRMG - after DD experience we got DS scanned at 2 weeks, at that point looked ok was in socket etc but angle not great so had to have re-scanned at 6 weeks, and that looked fine. If I could have organised it I would have had scan done before discharge!!

Thanks wysiwyg. We spoke to the lady who did our 20 week scan and she said to go to the Mercy in Heidelberg and they'll do it there. She said if we get a referral marked urgent, we should have no issues getting in at two weeks old. We spoke about it yesterday and are a little bit resigned to it that we might have another baby with it, but I think it's more a defence mechanism more than anything.

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to share our update from the ortho with DD.

Great news is that her hips are fine. She is walking well. Ortho did say not to let her side sit and DEF no W-sitting (but she doesn't tend to do that). Ortho said she doesn't need to see her again unless we feel a review is necessary (eg - walking unevenly or anything like that) so she is officially "discharged" !! Yay!!
    (so in response to the q's about the annual x-rays - can't help you there. DD had one at 6 months, with a u/s at 12 months, but that was it (or it may have been at 12 months and the u/s at 6 months - sorry fuzzy head).

But, the ortho did say that #2 (I am currently pg) is a high risk of having HD.
    She said that they would examine bub at birth, and even if clear or indeterminite, they would do an u/s at 12 weeks just to be certain. I asked about doing it before 12 weeks, and she said that if it was "immature" hip development, and not HD (as in borderline/uncertain), they wouldn't be able to confirm it was HD till 12 weeks anyway, if that makes sense.

(and she also said that DD and #2 - especially if a girl - would be at high risk of their bubs having HD)

so, I guess our HD journey is not quite over yet.

Abigail - DS has been out of his brace for almost two years and we go back for our 2nd yearly checkup in May. From what our surgeon explained its common to have yearly xrays for a few years after as there is still so much bone growth and development in toddlers, I'm expecting that we'll have another follow up xray next year as well. When we go in May I want to talk to the surgeon about the risks for our baby girl due in July.

Milly5 - We are having a DD this time, and as the risk is so much higher in girls we will be getting a referral from our paed at birth for a u/s for her at the earliest possibility (I'll quiz our surgeon as above) - eg 2 weeks, if we have to wait longer in the public system I will just go private and pay whatever as if she is diagnosed I want to get on it straight away. DS did not go into his brace until 7 months and I don't want this to happen again if we are unlucky again this time.

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on managing my nearly 5 year old dd who is about to have a proximal femoral varus osteotemy. She had an open reduction when she was 9 months old and went into a hip spica then a Rhino cast. She was also in a DBB and a Pavlick harness prior to surgery. Just to complicate things even more, she is having bilateral trigger thumb releases at the same time. Wondering if anyone can give me the heads up on what to expect. We live in rural Victoria and Hailey is having surgery in Melbourne-4 hours away.

Thanks

Hi ladies,

Hailey's mum - I have no advice for you I am afraid, but just wanted to wish you and DD good luck! it sounds like it will be quite an ordeal for you both. I live in rural NSW, so I understand about the distance thing. all the best.

Well, No2 arrived - another girl. But good news is that on exam hips seemed OK. just got to wait it out for the u/s. My ob was happy to refer us for an early u/s, but ortho said it wouldn't be worth doing until 12 weeks (see my previous post), so a bit nervous about the wait.

It is interesting that there doesn't seem to be a standard practice - either regarding diagnosis, treatment or follow-up, just what the treating ortho recommends????

Hi ladies,

My little girl was dignosed with clicky hips back in 2005. She was placed in an harness at 2 weeks old and stayed in it up until she was 6 months old. She is now 6 years old and she has no problems at all. We are very lucky that the Ped picked it up early. All my other children have had to go for an Ultrasound at 6 weeks to check there hips.

Abigail - Lily had x - rays done for the first 5 years and than it stopped.

Cathie
    Last edited by cathie5; June 29th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Hi all

It's been a while since anyone has posted.

My DD was diagnosed today and will be wearing a brace, when it's ready in two weeks.

I have been looking online for clothes and haven't had much luck here in Au, could anyone help me with some ideas ?

Bengal, I just went with bigger sizes. DD was 7 weeks old, and we were heading into winter, so went with tights and skirts (to help hide the brace a bit), onesies in a bigger size and pants in bigger sizes. I got some older kids socks, cut the feet off so they looked more like legwarmers, and they wrapped around the bits on the brace that touched DD's leg so it wouldn't rub (it was a Dennis Browne brace). It wasn't too bad, all the clothes we got in bigger sizes fit her later anyway.

Default Re: Hip Dysplaysia Support Group #3

hi

my mchn noticed yesterday at 4 month appt that DD has clicky hips. since birth i have been worried about them, but everyone who checked said they were fine. had a gp appt today who agreed and have an ultrasound booked for monday arvo. was hoping to get in earlier but rang a heap of clinics and that was the earliest.

i just want answers and hoping ultrasound is all clear. ok, off to have a read through the thread...

anybody else diagnosed later?

Default Re: Hip Dysplaysia Support Group #3

Hi Hotl, my sister had a similar problem and her daughter wasn't diagnosed till very late. Wish I could remember exactly but I'm pretty sure she was walking before she was diagnosed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast