Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacral Dimple

Default Sacral Dimple

I know why there is a reason why I hate child and youth health LOL.

today they came to see Ashton and he has what I think is a sacral dimple above his anus in the crease. She saw it and said "oh he has a dimple" and then she said "oh that is okay I can see the bottom of it" then it had me thinking. Lachlan has one of those that you can't see the bottom off as I remember when he was born I seriously thought he had two bum holes :eek:

Anyway so it has been playing on my mind all day and I know I shouldn't net surf but most sites say ones that you can't see the bottom of are cause for concern, so it is now 6pm and I have just booked him in to see our family GP for tonight to hopefully put my mind at ease.

Does anyone else's child have a sacral dimple that has needed further investigation??

Love

Sorry, hun, haven't even heard of it - hope everything goes okay tonight.

*hugs to you*

I have seen a few of them, Erin sort of has an indentation, but hardly what the MCHN is talking about. I didn't even realised they posed a problem. I hope your GP can give you some better info about it Kathryn.

okay I sort of didnt really understand what our family GP was saying all too technical for me but we have a referral for lachlan to have an u/sound and his clinical notes say

Has Sacral pint/sinus, cannot see bottom of it. ?stigmata for underlying spina bifida occulta, ?depth of sacal sinus, appears attached to tip of coccyx, no family history of spina bifida

So in other words it could be a mark to indicate spina bifida occulta which apparently 1 in 20 ppl have but not everyone is aware of it, and he also wants to check to see how deep it goes.

So now tomorrow I have to book him in for an u/sound.

Love

Oh Kat, what a worry for you, I really hope it all turns out to be fine at the scan.

I have had a quick read up on it, and it says that it may be as common as up to 22% of people (according the results of a study conducted in the 80's), with the most common symptom being a very slight risk increase of a slipped disc.
    It does say that in about 2% of these people there can be more complications associated, and it comes under a new classification 'occult spinal dysraphism' (OSD).

I think there's a really high chance that it hasn't/wont affect him at all?...

*hugs*

Sounds like you and I have been reading the same page Ambah Yeah the doctor said he doesn't expect anything to come of it we just have to make sure it is kept really clean as infection is our biggest risk, and that Lachlan as he gets older is fully aware to keep it clean as well.

It was totally up to me if I wanted the u/sound done or not, but I said we might as well cause at least then there is an "official" record about it in case of anything complications later on down the track. Poor Lachlan it is always him with an issue LOL

Love

Kathryn i hope everything goes well with Lachlan's ultrasound.

I remember when Xander had his ped check up they said something about a dimple being a sign of spina bifida but his is not very deep at all. Hope the u/s goes well for you

Hey there,
    Both my boys have a sacral dimple? Well I assume thats what it is. When Bailey was born they didnt seem to concerned about it. Just noted it and nothing more was said. Then when Sam was born they asked if Bailey had one and I said yes, and thats all that was said about it then too. Now you have me worried?? Can you let me know what comes out of it. Ta

Fergus has two sacral dimples. It was picked up at birth and we haven't ever been able to see the bottom of either dimple. However as he grows they are actually getting deeper. He's had a couple of ultrasounds and is being monitored by a surgeon. Neither of his dimples seem to be connected to the spinal cord, so the only prob with them seems to be the risk of infection (at this age from stray poop and after puberty from ingrown hairs). We are fastidious about keeping his dimples free from poop and so far we've not had any infections at all.

It looks as though Fergus has to have another operation for an unrelated problem. While he's under GA the surgeon thinks he will "repair" (whatever that means) the dimples. I think if he wasn't having another operation the advice would be to just let it be unless we start having problems with infections. Due to the location of the dimples (near the spinal cord) infections are apparently more dangerous than in other places. We're actually seeing the surgeon again on Friday so will be interesting to see what he says a couple of months down the track.

Indah has one, Maddy doesnt, Indah's dimple & aurrounding area is a deep blue colour due to her mixed genes! Maddy had a slight blue that went away Indah's is not fading...
    I noticed Indahs & asked about it but as it's not deep & can clearly see that it is sealed it is OK.

When I asked I was old it's the most common ailment (for lack of a better word) as it is the last skin to grow???

I hope it is nothing Kathryn, Mummabear79 & Kirsty!!!

hmmm.... Matilda has one. Never thought anything about it. Have had a good look & its pretty deep, but she's been checked over by so many paediatricians & doctors because of reflux I would have thought someone would have said something... they checked every little bit of her with me watching so I know they've seen it.

Kathryn I hope the scan goes well! I may make a note of it to get hers checked and "on record".

Christy I was the same with Lachlan as he has seen a few paeds in his life as well and then had surgery for his hydrocele at the start of the year and nobody ever mentioned anything so I thought "surely they have seen it and are not bothered" which is why I started to wonder after what the CYH nurse said about Ashton's being closed so that was okay and then the wonder made me start to freak a bit LOL.

Love

Yeah I think why I will bring it up on her next check & make sure they see it this time. I guess when they are looking at other things, like she had a fused labia that even though they are in the nappy area & looking around they may not take note of it unless its pointed out to them.

Kat one of my nephews has a sacral dimple and spina bifida. So far he has no ill effects, and he's now 7. Hope you get some more news soon.

OMG I`m worried now, both my boys have a sacral dimple, Matthew`s is only small and I can see the bottom of it easily but Adrian`s is quite large and I can`t see the bottom.

Kathryn - Have you got any results back from the u/s? Thinking of you, hope everythings okay.

I have a huge one, and I'm pretty normal.
    Jenna has one, and its not too deep, but I figured it was just a genetic thing like dimples. I have them too - one on my thigh and one on my cheek. Jenna has one on her cheek too.
    Hopefully everything is fine for you Kathryn.

our ultrasound is on the 29th of November, so just under 3wks away. It is an xray and u/sound.

Love

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast