thread: BLS - Some advice needed with fruit and veges.

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

BLS - Some advice needed with fruit and veges.

I have started solids with DS. Even though he is 9 months old, (6 months adjusted) he has only been digesting BM for 5 months. I started him this early because developmentally is sooo ready, reaching out for everything, smacking lips together etc...

anyway, BLS is supposed to be stress free but I am stressing lol..Admittedly, I eat lots of bread, cheese, processed meat (ham etc) which I can't give him so I am giving him lots of fruit and veges. With regards to fruit is there anything i shouldn't give him yet? is kiwi fruit ok? i haven't given him oranges or anything like that because they are so acidic. When can little tummys handle that? Also when I give him apple and pear should I cook it? skin on or off? Carrot, raw or cooked? What about bread with seeds? i have been giving him toast crust to suck on, is that ok? Hmm, I think that's all my questions for now

Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

Carrot - cooked so firm but soft (that so doesn't make sense )

roasted is a good way for veg to start with in a bit bigger than fist sized chunks

Kiwi is quite acidic.
    Banana is a good fruit to start with.

I did peel off with pear and apple to start with but can't remember when we started them.

Nothing wrong with giving chunks of cheese (full fat)

Toast is fine like you've been doing

Borrow "baby lead weaning" by Gil rapley (& someone else - forgot their name) from the library or buy a copy - has loads of info to calm nerves/stress levels when starting bls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so may not make sense

Jun 2009
    vic

I gave fruit skin on and uncooked.
    Banana I waited till older as it can cause constipation.
    Apple, pear are great so is watermelon and cantelope.
    I didn't give bread till over 12mths and now dd can't have as she is allergic to yeast.
    Rice cakes are great though.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

I grated apple in the early days. I only ever really have multigrain/seeded bread & ds was fine with that. I started with toast rather than bread. I remembery mchn saying if they've had bread to check their mouths at the end of the meal to make sure there's none stuck behind gums/in the roof of their mouth.

We did yoghurt & porridge early on too - just gave him a spoon & let him go for it.

Avocado was fun early on too! We also gave banana - it's so easy because of the size & texture.

Carrot - cooked. Firm but so you can squish it between your fingers

Pear - i think i peeled & poached at the start.

Melon can be good - easy to cut into managable pieces

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2008

Ok, so far he has had: Sweet potato, roasted carrot, avo, banana, pear, apple, toast crusts, rockmelon.. Em, the banana hasn't cause any constipation so far, I don't think he's ingesting enough anyway at this point..

I have the BLW book I borrowed it from the ABA, maybe I should read it

I didn't think I could give cheese, yoghurt or dairy products?? Porridge? Not sure why but I didn't know I could give that either..

Leckert I always check his mouth, he still has a high palette from being ventilated and avo and banana gets stuck up there!

Thanks for the advice

Jul 2008
    summer street

I did a mixture if pureed and sticks of fruit and veg.

Banana
    Avocado
    Cooked carrot
    Cooked broccoli
    Cucumber without the skin

Then I would also feed ds cereal and milk (just weetbix and cows milk. I know you're not supposed to because of allergens etc but that's what ds kept reaching for). For dinner I would puree steamed pumpkin, carrot and broccoli. He loved it.

It took ds a looooong time to stop gagging on solid food. He first had solids at 6 months but was still gagging on big chunks until after 9 months. From 11 months he wouldn't let me spoon feed him, so he started feeding himself and now eats exactly what dd does (and I do).

Bread, I only have seeded bread, so ds got that. And I would give him the crust only and yes check in case he keeps some stuck on the roof of his mouth.

Just try a few things and see what he likes. Mandarins might be fun, because ether segmented and easy to peel and not too acidic. I think summer fruits are easier, like watermelon and strawberries....yum!

Jul 2008

Yes I give him some puree too.. I bought some cucumber today too

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

I think prev posts covered most of the stuff. A couple of things i did give that got a bit of reaction is strawberry & tomatoes. they just made DD's face a bit red. So I've avoided them for now.

With apple, I found a freeze dried organic apple skinless that I get & take with me out for quick easy snack that she likes.

Veg: dd also likes snow peas & beans all steamed Til they're quite soft but not mushy.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

Hi,
    At your age baby needs nutitionally dense foods. Fruit and veg are good, but kinda diet food - he needs a range of foods. Is he eating well now? I think he had some challenges?
    if all is going well he can have everything. it's important you start meat pretty soon. Prem babies often have compromised iron stores. Chops to suck on and gum are great. A dollop of Spathetti bol souce in his veg or some meat from your slow cooked casserole. Cheese and yogurt are good. Baby led doen't mean "thou shalt never eat off a spoon" - that's crazy. It's about responding to baby's needs. If it's a good you would eat with a spoon or a fork then they do too If it's a food they can pick up with their hands then that's good.

Jul 2008

Barb he has only just started solids (less than 2 weeks) so we are just playing for the moment.. I thought it would be a bit early to start meat yet? I'm not too concerned about his nutrition, he is still fully breastfed and tube fed ebm at night.

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

Hi,
    By about 6mnths baby's iron is running low. And more so if they have been prem. It's perfectly normal and recommended to start meat soon after 6mnths. And they LOVE playing and munching on something like a chop. Same with dairy, if he's not intolerant, it's a good source of calories and nutrients (cheese and yoghurt - not liquid milk - he gets to the good stuff from you. Food will start to replace your milk in his diet. So it needs to pack a punch, nutritionally. Fruit and vegies are great, but not calorie dense.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Not too early to start meat, he won't really eat it atm, but they love to suck on it.

Yellow kiwifruit is way less acidic. Mine have loved mandarin segments.

The advice around here now is to leave Weet-bix until they are one because it is apparently hard to digest.

I usually give mine some cut up fruits on their tray, along with bits and peices of whatever we are having.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Potatoes are good for extra calories too BAL. I'm doing a mix of puree and finger food with DD2 and she's loving it. I have made a batch of zucchini, broccoli and potato puree and a carrot and potato puree - she wolfed both down She LOVES yoghurt too. I load up a spoon for her and she has a good go too.

We haven't tried meat yet either but I plan on starting this weekend. Stir fry beef strips seem to be a good option as they really just suck the nutrients out of the meat. Lamb chops are another good option with French cutlets being the easiest as they have a ready made handle

Oct 2008

DS isn't quite 6 months and he eats what we eat at meal times. He loves his bananas so he gets that with porridge or weetbix each morning.

The other night he had silverside with me and lasagna another night. He even stole some of my satay last week but at least I know he doesn't have a peanut allergy now

Just go with what feels right

Jul 2008

So if I give him porridge is it ok to mix with a small bit of cows milk or should it be BM? I eat porridge every morning, it would be so easy to give him that but I wasn't sure about the dairy.. I will start giving him meat, that's easy enough as I eat meat most nights. I have also given him potatoe

Oct 2008

If I'm making it up just for him then it's formula or bm, but if I'm sharing my meal he gets what I'm having or the girls are having.

Mar 2009

They can have dairy once they start solids, the only reason they don't recommend cow's milk is as a replacement for BM or formula as is lacking in nutrients that those provide. In cooking or little bits is fine as long as BM or formula is still forming the main part of a baby's diet.

Jul 2008

Ok, that's good.. Last night i gave him some of my mashed potato which was mixed with cows milk and i cut off a strip of my steak which he LOVED!! I think I'll just start feeding him whatever i'm having unless it's processed crap like ham etc.. I worry so much about what i am feeding him!! I don't want to give him the wrong thing. We don't have any family history of food allergies though, so we should be safe with most things I hope!