... 5131415

thread: Bad Bad name

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    Re: Bad Bad name

    Just noticed in the newspaper the other day that a footballer has called his daughter

    Kobyfox

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong
    12,163

    Re: Bad Bad name

    Came across a Haidee today (Heidi)

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Member

    Jul 2008
    Yarra Valley, Victoria
    429

    Re: Bad Bad name

    I had seen that before and always pronounced it in my head as "hey-dee".

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!
    11,129

    Re: Bad Bad name

    That's weird. I thought Heidi was pronounced high-dee

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    Re: Bad Bad name

    I know a Heidi (hi dee) & a Haydee. Pronounced as you'd expect. Why do people insist on messing with spelling rules?
    Last edited by ~clover~; November 26th, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

  6. #6
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Nov 2009
    Adelaide
    1,184

    Re: Bad Bad name

    Yep, Heidi is pronounced high-dee. Think Heidi Klum.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Dec 2009
    Perth
    1,916

    Re: Bad Bad name

    Did anyone else think "Hades"?

  8. #8
    Senior Moderator

    Nov 2004
    Chickens.
    4,989

    Re: Bad Bad name

    Today's best version was Cookie.

    Yep. Cookie.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    1,794

    Re: Bad Bad name

    I just saw an educator at my ds's kindy spelt kymbelea.. Maybe I am struggling cause I love the name (it is my dd's name), just not the spelling (dd has one of the common spelt versions).

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    Home, where else??
    1,177

    Re: Bad Bad name

    I just saw an educator at my ds's kindy spelt kymbelea.. Maybe I am struggling cause I love the name (it is my dd's name), just not the spelling (dd has one of the common spelt versions).
    Honestly, it took me a few moments to work out how to pronounce it.

  11. #11
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Apr 2006
    Winter is coming
    5,000

    Maori names don't usually have apostrophes. Unless their parents are getting creative. It would be reasonably common in Samoan names though.

  12. #12
    2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Oct 2012
    BrisVegas
    273

    There was an email that did the rounds a while ago (I'm a family lawyer, so we used to see heaps of these), everything from the twins called Fish & Chips to some poor kid called Number 16 Bus Shelter. Tullula was a landmark case that overturned crazy names.

    The BDM in Australia is very strict in every state so they automatically reject anything remotely inappropriate. Honestly the mind boggles sometime!!

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise
    15,272

    Maori names don't usually have apostrophes. Unless their parents are getting creative. It would be reasonably common in Samoan names though.
    My apologies. We see a lot of people come in from nz that are no citizens on nz passports, so I assume Maori. It's possible they were Samoan or similar and have lived in nz before coming here...

  14. #14
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Apr 2006
    Winter is coming
    5,000

    Ahhh NZ, the Pacific Islanders back door to Australian residency

    I wasn't meaning to be snippy

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    I know quite a few Maori names & spaces are usually in them, even though they're one name (Te Kiri, Te Aho), but never seen an apostrophe. And if you're using traditional names like those, adding the apostrophe would kind of defeat the traditional purpose of it wouldn't it?

    I have an apostrophe in my surname, so I get that. I've just never understood them in first names as they usually replace a missing letter. I have no idea if its true, but I was told names like O'Conner came about as they were children 'Of Conner'. My surname is a similar Irish surname that generates from Shaunessy.

    And I guess in saying that, changing surname spellings is a pretty old thing in history. Our name started out as Shaunessy, then O'Shaunessy, then as they migrated to Australia it was changed & the 'u' is now an 'n', as far as I know, to simplify the name. Though I'm not so sure Le-ah is really simplified...

  16. #16
    Senior Moderator

    Nov 2004
    Chickens.
    4,989

    "Fitz" used to mean "b@$tard son of"
    "Mac" and "O'Whatever" were also "son of".

    Obviously Gerald was a busy man.

    The best twins I have personally seen were Benson & Hedges.

  17. #17
    Registered User

    Oct 2010
    Gold Coast
    2,638

    "Fitz" used to mean "b@$tard son of"
    "Mac" and "O'Whatever" were also "son of".

    Obviously Gerald was a busy man.

    The best twins I have personally seen were Benson & Hedges.
    I automatically thought gee Gerald was busy as was Simmons and Patrick too I guess

... 5131415