Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP hates my names :(

Default DP hates my names :(

The other night we were talking about names. Early I know

And I mentioned the names I like Amelia and Lachlan

He said he hates both

He doesnt know any boys names yet but likes the name Hayley.

I have time to work on him right? lol Any suggestions?

Thats the trouble with being a woman, you have names picked out years before you need them and then you marry some pesky male who hates your names!! I have had this trouble too.
    Good luck.

Oooh I know how you feel, my DP hates all my names too! I had a list of TWENTY names for boys, and 10 for girls. I told him to go through it and delete the ones he didnt like. He left ONE name on each list <_< He finds my names too unusual as they aren't common names.
    To be fair though I dont like his names either lol. He likes names that are popular in people my age, so each name he suggest I can think of someone with that name I dont like

We actually have one name on each list now that we both agree on. The one on the boys list was suggested by our close friend and he liked it. Funny thing is its one I first suggested and he deleted from the list! LOL.

Unfortunately being in the same boat I have no advice! Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain!

Don't you hate that?
    I've had my names picked out since high school and DP doesn't like them. I have no suggestions, only best wishes finding a name that you both like.
    Oh, My Mum and Dad had the agreement that Mum would name the girls and Dad would name the boys. Dad never had the chance cause there is me and my sister

We have been to h-ll and back to get here it should be our choice ROFL

Me and DH have exactly the same problem. With DD I settled on a name I didn't really like and I regret that. I thought it would grow on me but it hasn't years on. And now DH is set on 2 names which I hate and I have about 20 and he refuses to pick a single one of them. And he also wants him middle name for bubs middle name (if its a boy) and its John and I really don't like that name family name or not (plus I have a family name he refuses for me to use) If you don't agree you don't agree hey? I hope you find a name you both adore. Your not alone.

i wanted DD2 to be Amelia Grace but he didnt like it my dh and i have so much trouble with names hes very traditional i like them a little different ... hope you come to an agreement still plenty of time to convince him

Wouldn't it be easier if they were like Cabbage Patch Kids and already came named with their birth certificate?
    hun, I think we all go through that naming babies. My DH liked the most awful names.
    For DD I gave him a couple of name books and asked him to go through them and write the longest list he could manage. Then he had to whittle them down to the ones he loved. I did the same and then we swapped lists and marked off the ones we hated.
    I have to tell you though DD's name was not on my list of loves - or likes even. I had a girls name I love love loved. He knew I didn't like his first choice. I couldn't believe it when she came out, they said it's a girl what's her name and he said his chosen name. In hindsight it's a fantastic name that I love and that suits her to a tee and mine would have been dumb (and I don't even like any more).
    With DS we gave our narrowed lists to DD and she picked out of four for each sex. We asked her on five separate occasions mixing the names around and she picked the same ones every time, so we went with that.

Urgh I hear ya. All through my last pregnancy we were set on Azarias or Zarias for a boy - now he decides he doesn't like it any more!! ARGHHH.

Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahurani View Post
    I have time to work on him right? lol Any suggestions?
    Sure do

I had a couple of girls names already picked. DH wasn't really impressed with either of them. He also didn't know we were having a girl, only I did so I was going through boys and girls names with him. So we still hadn't come to an agreement, then out she came and they asked if you had a name and I looked at him and said Tess and he was in such shock he agreed.
    You may change your minds a hundred times Ahurani, always go in with a couple of names and when you look at your little one, you will just know.

Do the Dads have to sign off on the birth certificate application? I've said I'll just fill the application

DF was the same...I wrote out a list of girl's names..we found out we were having a girl so didn't worry too much about boy's names. He said no to every single one and I was heart broken! He decided the only name he liked was Hayley, which I didn't really like but said I'd think about it..and well the rest speaks for itself! I guess I eventually got used it and don't think any other name would suit our Hayley now! Lol.

Keep at him and hopefully he will start to like at least one of them! i was pretty annoyed when DF said no to every one of my choices so I can see a battle for number 2 whenever that happens

DH and I knew we were having a girl but could not agree on a name, then when I was 26 weeks he came to me asking if he could buy an old Holden. So DD got the name I wanted (which is Amelia) and he got the Holden. Now that we know we are having another girl, he thinks he gets to pick the name. We are having a lot of trouble this time, I have so many names I like and DH can't think of one. Maybe I should start looking in the old cars section of the trading post again.

My DH was like that too. What is it with men not liking the name Amelia? I've had that as my number one girls name since high school and he won't even listen to it. Stubborn I tell ya!

With DS, I wanted Cooper but again DS refused. We came to a deal though. I said if his middle name can be Cooper then he can pick a first name from my short list. I gave him a list of about 20 names and he picked number 2 on the list so that worked out pretty well. Maybe you could do that?

Girls names were a different story though. We can't agree on a single one. He pretty much refuses to even consider my suggestions and the only name that he could come up with was Stephanie. That didn't even make my extended short list of about 200 names lol! (Nothing wrong with it - it just doesn't go with our surname and I don't like the short versions.)

I like the idea of waiting until after the birth and then saying "MY FAVOURITE NAME" then he has to agree because if he doesn't he would look like the world's number one a-hole after everything we've just gone through. I came across that idea in another thread on here but I can't remember who suggested it.

rhyb Guest

DF is the same

LOL Seems like we have all been there with our significant others!

DH and I had a similar problem - and it was for girls names - he was very traditional and I liked something a little different - try and make an agreement with him where you pick the first name, he picks the second name perhaps? Amazingly enough we have both agreed on our Sons name

Get a name book and get him to sit down and circle the ones he likes and then you go through and circle the ones you like - you'd be suprised - you may find that you pick a few of the same ones!

Good Luck!!

I think the way to find a name you both like is to find out WHY you either like or don't like particular names in the first place.

I can fully understand not liking a name because of associations with people known (for instance we will never have names that might have been ex's or that person we hated at school/work), but then again you might want to have namesakes (family members etc).

For me, it's all about the meaning. I really believe people are generally like what their name means. So if the name has a fluffy or undesirable meaning, it doesn't matter how nice it sounds - it's scratched. My husband really likes the name Corbin, and I actually liked it too - until I found out the meaning (Crow - which is a scavenger bird. I might as well call him Vulture) so that was instantly out. My husband did not argue with it because when he found out what it meant he didn't like it so much anymore either. So meaning is how I determine names and for that reason we don't go for overly common names - because of associated meanings I can apply to them as well as the real meaning.

My husband's hang up with names is what rhymes, how it could be shortened and whether or not it could get them teased - he even goes as far to check whether the initials will spell something. Our nephew's initials spell JAR - very unfortunate with his particular head shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowellen View Post
    I like the idea of waiting until after the birth and then saying "MY FAVOURITE NAME" then he has to agree because if he doesn't he would look like the world's number one a-hole after everything we've just gone through. I came across that idea in another thread on here but I can't remember who suggested it.

That's hilarious!! I love that idea!!!

You have heaps of time to decide on names.

I am overdue and we don't know the gender and we don't have names for either gender anyway.

When i first suggested DD's name to DH his reply was "NO WAY" Needless to say he changed his mind, infact he loves her name more than i do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast