Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iris - honest thoughts!

Default Iris - honest thoughts!

Hello ladies!

I am 5 months along with our first little bubba, and I am trying to find the perfect name. Boys I have a short list of 3 but girls I have a list of about 30 names, but one that keeps popping up is Iris. I have asked my closest girlfriends their opinion and they all hate it! Two of them think of an elderly lady and the other one thinks of an eye - a gooey squishy eye were her exact words!!

But it still keeps coming up. These are my reasons I like it:

Iris was a goddess in greek mythology who delivered messages between heaven and earth by travelling on rainbows.... how beautiful is that! I can decorate her room with rainbows!

Iris is also a beautiful flower... we can buy her irises...! Corny hey!

Irisianium is being goddess like and graceful towards others.

And the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls I have always loved and has the most beautiful lyrics like 'you're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be' and lots more.

Reasons I dont like it:

I am worried that other kids would call her Iris the Virus!

I dont like the way it looks when it is written - it has a harsh look about it.

The connotations some people associate with Iris like the old lady and eyeball! Personally I think the iris is the most beautiful part of anyone - no one has bad irises!

Anyway, let me know what you girls think!

Kyles x

I like it, but I like plant/flower names.
    They are becoming less uncommon too, I have seen some Ivy's and Hazel's

Originally I thought yuck old lady but after a second I thought about the actual name and thought hold on I actually don't mind it and it is definitely growing on me!

I think you have some great reasons for picking the name and it is very different besides Ava is an "old lady name" and Isabelle there are heaps of them coming back in

Can't think of another way of spelling it but there r heaps of ladies on here that come up with amazing new ways to spell things!

I also think that sometimes ppl don't like names but then they meet someone with that name and then that dictates their thoughs on the name and they don't think the same anymore.

Like Ingrid I used to think of a VERY STERN middle aged woman and then when I was about 15 I worked with a girl a few yrs old who was named Ingrid and now I think of her personality when i think of the name.

I think just because its uncommon it will take people a 2nd and then they will think its really beautiful.

Im veeery into flower names so i love it!!!!

If i could have made my DS a flower i would have

I think its "ok" but only because I love that song too.

How about Irys?

This has been my sisters choice for a girl for the last few years. I personally love it! I think it is a timeless name and I am also another fan of flower/nature names.
    Rach xx

Default Duke winds

I love Iris. I really hope you use it if you have a girl. I don't think of old ladies or eyes I think of flowers. If you really like a name don't worry about what other people think, if we did that none of our kids would be named what we want/like.

I really like it and I too think of the flower, and the colour purple! I got tired of always buying iris's (yes I buy my own flowers...) that I bought fake ones that look real!

Other suggestions-
    Eyrys
    Irys
    Irice
    Irise
    Eyrise
    Eyrice

FWIW- You seem to have more valid pros than cons. Kids will always make up rhyming words to names- My sister got Vanessa the Undresser, I'm sure my DS will get Luke the Puke. At the end f the day 'who cares'? I would go with the name, if its the one that keeps popping up - maybe that is telling you something

I think Iris is a beautiful name!
    Dont worry about what your friends think, your baby will "grow" into his/her name and will be loved anyway

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. Doesn't go with our surname at all, so completely off the list, also the scrabble rule.
    Kids pick on personalities, not kids with rhyming names, so really, don't worry about it.

I love it.

My grandmother's name was Irena and her NN was Iris, so it conjures lovely sweet memories for me.

It's a lovely name.

I'm not so sure about Iris, though the reasons you give behind it are beautiful. She would always have a lovely story to tell about her name.
    Another way you could spell it sould be Eiris?
    I used to care for a little girl called Eisis. Isis was a Greek goddess too, worshipped as the ideal mother and wife. She was a beautiful little girl!

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

Love Love Love it ... What can i say i think it's just a beautiful name with a beautiful meaning for a beautiful girl on her way here to you both ....

I love it...but I would be worried about Iris the Virus too. But there again, kids will turn ANY name into a nasty nickname (often with no actual linguistic link) so I'm not sure that's enough of a reason.

Another name - in the same vein- that I really loved (but DH vetoed) is Enid - means life spirit.

dont like it sorry, reminds me of something i would call a grandma. I also agree Virus is way too close and willprob lead to teasing.

Thank you ladies! I have enough confidence to go with it now! Also DH's response to Iris is kinda positive shrug of the shoulders rather than the flat out no that he has given all of my other suggestions! Thank you for your help!! xxx

Its kind of neither here nor there for me. I much prefer Iyla... (pronounced 'eye-la').

Iris could grow on me though.

X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast