thread: Names after famous people/singers/musicians?

Add Marlene on Facebook

Jul 2007
    Dapto, Illawarra...NSW

the best was a kid named "anon" after the 'famous' poet LOL!!!!!!!!! what a scream!

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

i lurve jade devin! it sounds so powerful and devine all at once. especially with your DPs last name.

i remember a few years ago JJJ was doing a name thing and they went through the strange but true names around the world. one boy was called 'rogan josh' after his mums fav curry; a girl was named 'Australia' as she was born on australia day; and the best was a kid named "anon" after the 'famous' poet LOL!!!!!!!!! what a scream!

when we named our DD Leila we loads of eric clapton comments . so didnt think of that!
    Anon that is bloody hilarious!!!

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

I know a little dude called Neo, like the Matrix character.
    I named my bike Layla after the Eric Clapton song (we have 9 bikes inthis house, and it's easier to keep track if they all have names)
    Since we are not Brisbane long-termers we have thought about using a middle name that reflects this wacky town - not sure what yet though.
    And who is it -some Aussie C-grade celeb- that has a kid called Jagger?
    My dad wanted to name me Kelly after one of the Charlie's Angels at the time. My surname was even the same. I would have been OK with that.
    Plenty of people were named Shirley after Shirley Temple, back in the day....

Go For It!

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

Love the name Jade Devin

When I was working, I knew a stack of girls named Shania after Shania Twain. Hmmm....

Nov 2007
    Southwest Syd

I had always wanted to use a name from U2 so thought Clayton would be good (after Adam Clayton the base guitarist) but DH wouldn't have a bar of it. We had a girl anyway!

Friends who are about to have a baby wanted to call it Vincent if it was a boy after Vin Diesel!!!! (Its a girl- their 5th and they all have B names!)

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

I've already got my names picked out for my first two boys and first two girls... 90% of the names are favourite book characters and one is a character in a moive.
    For me the meaning of the name is more important that the actual name.
    When it comes to my name i find it so boring that my parents just thought of it and went why not...so i make up stories that i'm named after a brand of cigars, or even better, I'm named after Spocks mum in startrek....but also not the case.
    I really want my kids though to be able to say 'i'm named after such and such' is it just me or do people think the same?

Jan 2006
    The Hawkesbury

DH suggested DS's name "Jesse" and i loved it as its one of Jon Bon Jovi's son's name. His middle name "Tyler" i wanted after Steve Tyler from Aerosmith. Then when we had "Keira" who was named after Olivia Newton John's character in Xanadu and i wanted her middle name to be "Ava" as its my favourite guitarist Richie Sambora's daughters name.

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

Manda: same here my names Emma can u get much more boring? My sister was named Verity cause my dad had the hots for Verity James off the ABC and our dog got named Xena cause dad had the hots for Xena warrior princess... but we have a uncommon surname (no others in Australia, and from what my cousin tells me, its only our family in england too) which has caused a lot of grief trying to spell it to people over the years, so I guess a boring first name was easier for me lol.

My mum doesn't like Devin cause it reminds her of devon ham..

Mar 2007
    outer South East Melbourne

My son was named after Peter Brock. My ex always admired him & I used to think he was the most handsome racing car driver when I was a kid so when my ex suggested it I was happy to go with it. I'm glad we chose it as it really suits him.

Nov 2008
    Perth

I was named after one of my parents favourite artists in the 70's - Renee Gayer. They just decided to remove the 'r' from my middle name which I hated as a teenager - for obvious reasons!! In saying that, Gaye didn't have the meaning it has now back in the 70's, it meant happy and I am a very happy person so it really does suit.

Makes me laugh thinking about my parents choosing my name though...they weren't full on hippies but I do have images of them in my head sitting around the record player (remeber those things?!), sharing a joint thinking in a spaced out way 'wow, that's a beautiful name'. LOL!

PS: I should point out, they weren't smokers - well not that I'm aware of anyway!

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

taurean -thats what they tell you!
    my brothers name is tom after david bowies major tom....major stoners more like it haha

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

DH is Daniel afetr the Elton John song!

Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D

I really want my kids though to be able to say 'i'm named after such and such' is it just me or do people think the same?
    Depends on who your kids are named after lol, I'm named after my mum's best friend since her high school days and personally, I don't really like it... I mean, I don't have a problem with the chick I'm named after, she's an awesome 'auntie', but the name itself I *do* have a problem with lol (but that's just me, I'm sure we have all hated our names at some stage and cursed mum and dad for thinking it was a good idea hahaha)... the story behind it is pretty boring though, I'd much rather be able to say, 'I'm named after ___ (musician/actress/character in a book or movie/other famous personality)' rather than, 'Oh yeah, my mum's best mate' lol, kwim?

My daughter I named Emily after the song by FFTL, I think it's a cool song and hopefully when she gets older she'll appreciate it as well and be proud to say, 'I'm named after this song', the name we have picked for #2 was just because we both agreed on it hahaha, no other reason, so it's a shame she won't be able to say the same as her sister but meh.

rhyb Guest

Im named after Fleetwood Mac's 'Rhiannon'