Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is one of your favourite names...

Default Is one of your favourite names...

....the name of an old crush/boyfriend?

DH has a theory that people have on their list of favourite baby names the name of an old crush or boyfriend (obviously from a relationship that didn't end too badly!) Not necessarily your top pick, but somewhere on the list. Probably because you still associate the name with the nice feelings you had for the person. What do you think? It is true for both of us - one of his favourite girl names, and one of my favourite boy names are the names of old crushes. And it's been true for a few other friends as well. Just curious if it's a common trend, or not.

Nope definitely not the case here.

I go out of my way NOT to like the names of people I couldn't have, or didn't want anymore.. LOL

Nope, not true here either

I tried to find a name that I don't associate with anyone because I didn't want to be thinking of them every time I thought about my little girl hehe

We didn't start thinking of names until we were told the gender so I haven't really thought through boys names but I still think I would want to find one where I didn't already have a memory association with it. I haven't really asked my DP whether any of the girls names he was keen on reflected that of a past crush, will have to ask when he gets in from work this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Nope definitely not the case here.

I go out of my way NOT to like the names of people I couldn't have, or didn't want anymore.. LOL

Me too.

A definite no here as well. I think I'd be a bit insulted if DH ever wanted to use the name of a past crush for a daughter of ours... to me it would kind of mean that he's not really over her.

I also feel that even the relationships that ended well have bad memories attached, so I don't want that constant reminder, either.

BW

:yeahthat:

my ex's name was luke, and i wanted to call either a boy/girl 'Luka'. dave vetoed it though. although we did call our daughter 'Matilda', which is the name of the service station where my first real love worked. hmm...

Ewww NO! Some of them have put me off particular names forever!

Dh actually suggested we call DS a name which was the same as one of my old BF. He had no idea of course. I had to say no

Thats a big no for myself and DH !

Not true here. I wouldn't use the name of an old crush for one of my children even if I did like it.

We really liked Lucas for a boy and I went out with a Lucas at high school (see my age to get how long ago that would actually have been )- he's a nice guy and the relationship was so insignificant and short lived that we decided to keep the name at the top of our list. We had a girl so didn't get to use it anyway

Not true here either.
    I actually have the same name as DH's only other long term girlfriend. So we wouldn't have picked that name for DD just based on the fact that it's my name.

And DH wants Thomas for a boy. But this is the name of my first love and although I still have some feelings for this guy (not in the ? want to be with him kind of way") even though we haven't seen each other in almost 9 years, I could never give the same name to one of my children. It just doesn't seem right.
    Curiously enough, although I explained that to DH, he doesn't see a problem with picking his'wife's ex's name. But I do, so the name is out.
    Plus, I find the name a little on the too common side.

Sasa

The people that DH and I were thinking of were young teenage crushes - people we were never actually involved with. And to be honest, I never associated the boys name that I like with the crush, if you know that I mean. I never thought "Hmmm... this was so-an-so's name - I'd love to name my baby after him." More like "that is such a nice name, sounds like a strong, kind, good name" without actually connecting it with the old crush.

I guess I'm not really talking about naming your baby after an ex. Blegh! That would definitely suggest that you're not over them! I guess I mean more someone of the opposite sex that you thought was wonderful when you were young.

Mmm, still not really true here. Even when I think of people with the names I like for a boy, I don't think I ever had a crush on someone with any of those names.
    And I don't think DH knew any girls by the names of Maya or Lilliana (which are our choices for girls). Plus, both of those were names I suggested. He jsut agreed that he liked them, too.

Sasa

Default I Know what you mean Cricket!

Hey Cricket - I know what you mean.

There was a boy at school named Cameron who was so lovely - not even someone I had a crush on, but he just had such a beaut character, and that name has always been at the top of my list!
    I also think it works in reverse- ie - if you sat next to a mean, smelly, ugly or err... fat person at school, their name will conjure up negative associations when you hear it later in life.
    Funny how that happens....

X

I know what you mean. I thought of the name for our son from a boy i went out with briefly in grade 5 for like a week lol.

I went to the yr 12 formal with a guy whose name could be a shortened version of DS's name, but I didn't fancy him, he was just a mate. I don't think of his name as DS's name, I think of them as 2 seperate names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast