Thread: 12 months - is it worth shelling out for a sling?

Question 12 months - is it worth shelling out for a sling?

Hi
    my dd is 12 months and is quite a tall girl, i have a HAB but really haven't used it, as i just find it too much mucking about to tie it.... i went for a walk with it today and i found it just kept stretching and she was dropping lower and lower, probably as she is so heavy...

i'm looking for opinions on whether you think it is worth buying an ergo or pikkolo at this late stage?? she often gets sooky/clingy and i would love to be able to wear her oh my hip, without having to deal with metres of material and complicated ties... i also fancy going on walks with her on my front or back, as exercise for me, but not sure how often this will happen

im only small at 5"2 so just wondering how feasible it is to be buying an expensive sling for a 12 month old who probably weighs 12kg give or take....? how long can you carry them for??

is the hip carry easy enough to get them in and out of??

any thoughts greatly appreciated... i wish i had of persevered more and gotten more use out of my HAB, but the length of the material gets me every time!!

Hi,

Never heard of those carriers I suppose the best way to do it would be to go somewhere that you can put her in the carrier and walk around for a bit I personally wouldn't buy a carrier now due to the weight factpr but if it works for you it works for you

Sounds like the best bet for you at this stage would be a scootababy toddler hip carry.
    if you google scootababy they will come up. I think you would find that the best option for a child of this age. they are da bomb of the hip carry world!!!

Hi my DD is the same size and weight as your and I love my Ergo. I got it maybe 3mths ago and haven't gone a day without using it. i usually use the back carry but have just perfected the hip carry and it is super easy. I use the hip carry more for when we are somewhere standing still and I don't want her running around, church, talking to another mum at preschool but it isn't as comfy as the back carry for things like shopping trips and walking. She is pretty much weight less in the back carry

It is fairly easy to switch between frong and back and I'm sure the DVD had instructions to switch between hip and back but I would have to check.

My only regret is that I spent $300 on a pram :-)

My DS is nearly 15 months old - and is a sooky toddler!!! I got myself a Bubba Moe about a month ago - and OMG.. what a lifesaver... they have a weight limit of about 16-17kg? He is only 11kg so can carry him around for a while. We use it whilst shopping and its big enough for my DH to carry him around as well - we've used it for quite a few hours, and its quite comfy. I've vaccuumed the house with him on my back - cos you can carry them on your hip, or slide them around to on your back. I usually give him a biscuit or something, strap him on, slide him around and I can do whatever I like...
    I'd recommend a Bubba Moe to anyone... plus... hopefully he will be out of the sooky stage in a few months, and I can use it for my newborn too.

Hi Emma,

I gave up carrying my DS in a front sling at 8 months because he was just too heavy for my shoulders.

At 12 months and 12 kg, that is a lot of weight to carry.

Personally, at that age and weight I'd be looking for a backpack carrier. We never got around to using one for DS, so sorry, I can't say if they are any good or not, but I know I couldn't carry a 12kg baby in a sling that wasn't on my back and I am a little bit taller than you. Check the weight limits I can't recall how heavy bubs can get for a back pack carrier.

Good luck,
    TICKLISH

Yes it would be worth investing in a pikkolo or an ergo at that age. You can carry them for another year or two in either of those, and if you have any more kids it will be worth it's wait in gold. The back carry option is fantastic for older kids. You can get so much done and wear it for ages, and the kids like to too cause they can see everything you do.

I have both (the ergo and pikkolo). Currently carrying my newborn in a wrap, but know that from 5 months I'll be able to put him in a back carry which will be so handy (I've 3 kids under 4 and it's nuts!).

Both of those carriers mentioned should be able to be resold pretty easily when you're are finished with them.

ETA - I don't know about hip carry with either of those slings. I have one of the older Ergos and haven't tried a hip carry with the pikkolo. I've always used both for back carry. I've found the best and quickest sling for hip carry is a ring sling.
    Last edited by ~kaos~; April 3rd, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: adding info

Only just stopped using our Ergo on a daily basis and DS is 21 and a half months old I was using HAB until about 5 months, for the same reasons you cite (I was going out to paddocks, shopping, meetings etc and HAB becoming hindrance more than help), and never looked back after getting the Ergo. We still use it, just not every day, and I don't have to have conniptions in the car when I realise, half an hour after leaving home, that I haven't packed the Ergo (like I did when I'd forget it up to about 2 months ago!).
    Well worth it. DS isn't small (not with a 6 foot 4 daddy) either, but we defintely find there is a time and a place for a sling, even now.

I think it would be well worth it. My DS is going to be 12 months in a week, and I've just bought a brand new Ellaroo mei tai. Best investment I've made in a long time!! Being able to carry him on my back at this age has made a huge difference. It's easier to get on and off than the HAB (which I also own and used a lot until DS was around 9 months old), and having him on my back means that I can do cooking, laundry, general tidying etc while I'm babywearing him. I'm using it every day, so I think it's well worth the investment!

An ergo would be a good choice too ... I chose the Ellaroo because I preferred the look of it, but in terms of function you'd probably achieve the same thing either way.

Wink

hmmm i might go down to baby bunting and check them out....

ive been using the Hugabub lately and its a great work out walking to the shops with her on my front - but i just feel its too much weight for the material, it seems to stretch....

im sort of wanting to carry her mainly as a change from the pram, but also to give myself some exercise.... id have to walk for miles pushing the pram to get much of a benefit, but carrying 11kg (i just weighed her) - im guessing it would increase the intensity a fair bit and be a bit more of a challenge... i hate exercise so am sort of looking for sneaky ways to get it done, and a 15 minute walk to the shops and back carrying her is a pretty easy way that doesn't make me feel like im really exercising, as opposed to going for a big long walk. there is method in my madness!!

also i just want to have the option to put her on my back like a monkey hahaha

thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice....

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I just got my Ergo, I LOVE IT!!!!! its fantastic.... i'm so regretful that i didnt get one earlier though, i had my HAB and i guess i just didn't realise it wasn't the best sling for me and i didnt think of trying another....

GO THE ERGO!!!

yay, Emma! Think of it in terms of needing a new sling for a new phase I mean, a pram-pushed baby doesn't stay in the same pusher, does it? It moves to a stroller

Fantastic to hear. I never regretted buying our Ergo. It is well worth the money