Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Addicted to Baby Carriers!

Thumbs up Addicted to Baby Carriers!

Ok so who's addicted???

What have you got?

Which do you like best?

Which don't you like?

Do you have any suggestions for a new baby wearing mum?

With Alexzander we had a Baby Bjorn & hardly used it because it was so uncomfortable on my shoulder (I have a chronic injury from a car accident a few years ago), other than that we used the pram.

This time I've got a Moby Wrap (like a HAB) which I can't wait to try out cos I've heard (& seen) how awesome they are. I'm just a bit worried about the length of the fabric cos I'm fairly little.

We also have a pouch sling for short trips. I figure it will be easy for say preschool drop off & pick up being able to put little miss in the sling rather than fiddle with the moby or the pram for the 5 minutes we're out of the car.

I'm also seriously considering a BabyHawk from WriggleBots (link allowed, it's for an MPM). Just have to figure out if I can justify to Aaron why I *need* to have three carriers for one baby Any suggestions how??
    Last edited by {sarah}; March 1st, 2008 at 07:24 AM.

I love my pocket sling (aka ring sling). It has been comfortable to wear and after some practice I have been able to use with ease. I have used it for front and hip carry but it can be used to carry on the back too.

We originally bought a baba sling thinking it would be the easiest for Dh but Ds hated it! HE didn't like to be lying down!

So we ventured into HAB! I was worried I wouldn't get the hang of tying it, but watching the video made it easier! Ds loves it! Its easy to clean and nice and soft on newborns!

We also have an ergo carrier which is by far the easiest! But can be a little stiff around the leg area and kinda digs into Ds legs! But he still loves it!

I really want another HAB in a different colour and maybe a babyhawk( just checked them out and they look fab!)

I am going to go so broke between carriers ands MCNs argh!

I have a baby-bjorn airflow which I used for the first few weeks. It was a good carrier but I found that it did not provide enough lower back or shoulder support for extended wear, even with a 4-5kg baby. I have bad back and shoulders though, so probably require an SSC with waist support. I also find the materials and fittings to be quite hard, with lots of buckles and knobs at the top of the carrier, consequently DS' face would be squished against a hard plastic knob when he slept. I found the bjorn really useful for getting housework done, but still needed to support DS' head with one hand when bending - the head support could not be tightened sufficiently to hold him steady without him slumping. It was a little fiddly getting him in and out, especially when asleep or cranky.

I also have a Babyrock comfy carry which is a buckled sling with shoulder padding and leg/head padding, and a cotton mesh body. Consequently it is bulkier than a ring sling so does not fold up small enough to pop into a bag, but it is very comfy. I started using this at around 6 or 8 weeks, when DS could then sit upright in it with a little help supporting his head, as he hated to be lying down in the sling. I also felt like he was a little lost in there when lying down. The mesh is fantastic for hot climates, but I wonder if solid fabrics might provide a little more support. It is a little tricky for bending over as they need to be supported with one hand. It is a really good carrier for ease and convenience of getting him in and out quickly and without fuss and I get many comments on how comfy he looks. The buckles and edges of the shoulder padding are much softer that the baby bjorn but I still find that he will get marks if he falls asleep with his face against the strap. Although it is supposed to be easy, I have not yet successfully managed to feed him in the carrier. Again, I find this carrier does not quite provide enough support for extended wear.

I would really like to get a SSC with waist support or a buckle-tei (I am a bit unco for ties and wraps otherwise I would love a babyhawk) - ideally I'd love a Beco, and I have also seen really good reviews on the MBD Calyx but they seem to be hard to get, and only can do inward front and back carry. Gorgeous designs though!

Advice for first time babywearers:
    - think about what you want to use your carrier for
    - consider whether you want different carriers for different purposes - eg: wrap for doing housework in and extended wear, pouch for quick trips, etc, or one carrier that might not have all of the features that you want.
    - research babywearing groups for reviews on different carriers

Oh and Sarah - the perfect justification for needing another carrier is your comfort - if it makes the job of being a mum easier then it is a necessary tool of the trade, not a luxury.

I became so obsessed while researching carriers! We've bought a HAB as they had good unisex colours for my H to wear it too and they seem to suit newborn well. If it's not well received by bubba I might look into a sling too. Would definitely get a ring sling with no padding from what I've looked into.

Our plan was to then probably get an ergo for bigger bub and back carries... but the baby hawk looks divine too!

We're considering a hard frame backpack for bushwalks too as they have a small day pack section in them to help with carrying some extra stuff.

I think I could go nuts on carriers so we've only bought a very cheap pram!

i have a hab- loved it when ds was a newborn, wore it to weddings, parties, dinners, everything!

nowi use an ergo- absolutely love it- so comfy. ds has little naps in it and absolutely love it

Sorry, not answering the questions asked cos my little one isnt here yet but i was just wondering if the "BabyHawk" is as complicated to put on as it looks? It doesn't look like one person would be able to put it on, but thats just me maybe i'm different

I haven't tried one so can't say yet!

Sarah - try justifying a BabyHawk when you already own a different Mei Tai!

Suse is spot on though - why does your dh need 3 power tools/game consoles/car accessories? Because they all do different things! Same purpose - building things/providing entertainment/making car better - but they all do different things. Same with carriers - same purpose - to carry bub, but they all do it differently!
    Your pouch is excellent for quick hip carries, and if bub likes being held in cradle position - great for discreet breastfeeding too.
    Your HAB is great for upright close carrying, with weight distributed really evenly - so carrying bub for longer trips.
    A Mei Tai can do back carries also, and can carry quite a large weight range! Riv loves the Mei Tai and falls asleep in it quite a bit - a high back carry also means he can see over my shoulder when shopping, so isn't grumbling in the pram, and I get lots of kisses on the hair and cheek.

Right, so now we've justified your 3 carriers...

Ok so who's addicted???
    I am seriously getting there (some might say already there, but I'm in denial til I actually HAVE them.

What have you got?
    I've got a Baby Bjorn (which is getting sold any day now, to fund the BabyHawk)
    I've got a Bear Hug Baby Pouch and a Bear Hug Baby Mei Tai (they don't make these anymore, just ring slings!)
    I'm like...a heartbeat away from ordering a Catbirdbaby Pikkolo.
    And trying to justify a BabyHawk Mei Tai from WriggleBots...purely on the basis that it's gorgeous - people buy themselves shoes and perfume for a treat for similar prices, so I figure I can buy myself a different sort of accessory...

Which do you like best?
    I would have said the Mei Tai 8 months ago.
    But right now, with my pregnancy and belly, the pouch - just because I can't hold Riv in a hip carry for more than 2 mins without getting tired, and it saves my arms while I'm standing chatting to people, or carrying him from the car to somewhere.
    Just like tools though, I like them all (mostly) for different reasons!

Which don't you like?
    The Bjorn - now. When Riv was little, it was great for shopping trips - especially when he could face outwards! But he got to about 8kg and it just hurt my shoulders too much to wear for too long, all Riv's weight seemed to be borne by my shoulders. So really, 4.2kg - 8kg isn't getting very good wear from a carrier. The Pikkolo will replace the Bjorn, since bub can face outward in that too (with a better supported butt), and goes from newborn to I think about 18kg? That's a much better lifespan. Plus the Pikkolo does back carries.

Do you have any suggestions for a new baby wearing mum?
    If you get a chance, try the carrier before buying - your body shape will differ from another's and your bub's preferences will too. Read up on people's opinions and reviews too - you might see a trend, like some carriers aren't loved by short people or really slim people or whatever.
    And as Suse said, make a list of what you want your carrier to do, and consider who'll be using it in what situations. That should help narrow your choices down. (for example, your dh might not be thrilled at the prospect of wearing your Mei Tai with a floral panel Although - if you got a BabyHawk, you could just choose the reversible option and have a manly panel on the other side! Easy)

Jessey, I already have a Mei Tai (though not a BabyHawk, though I'd love to change that ). And I am a super unco. Super.
    There's a slight learning curve, but it's not too bad. My tips are - practice! When bub's in a good mood, right after a feed or whatever, have a go. You can kneel on the bed if you need to feel a bit safer - I've never dropped bub though!
    DON'T let anyone who's not convinced watch you - your confidence will divebomb with comments from your mum, inlaws or dh like 'he doesn't really look that comfy' or 'are you sure that's safe?' (by the way, the time I got the comfy comment, he was asleep 10mins later - victory!)
    And here's the one that I wish I'd known heaps earlier - YouTube!! The visuals have helped me so much, just seeing people do that little bounce here, or tie a certain way - and it just clicks! Many carriers come with dvd instructions now anyway instead of written - seeing someone else do it is really really helpful!

Okay...can we pleeease put this long rambling down to late pregnancy and NOT Baby Carrier addiction?

The babyhawk is no more complicated than an ergo, in fact the structure is very similar. It is just that you tie the straps on a babyhawk instead of of clip them like you do in an ergo or a beco carrier. In fact they are easier to do than a Hug a Bub with all its crossing over and under and around stuff. Mind you I love the Hug a Bub too. ah if only I could afford to stock all the great baby carriers... hey maybe I shoukld be a baby carrier store nstead of a nappy store? hmm which addiction to choose?........

Nelle - Glad to hear i'm not the only unco one They look really comfy (for mumma and bubs) so might try talk DF into buying one Thanks

The babyhawk is almost identical to the original slings warn by women in asia. They look awesome!

We had a HAB and we loved it, I have now lent it to a friend who loves it also. Soooo handy with trips too and from Kinder (Sarah I would often tie the HAB on before I went out and just tighten and readjust when I got out of the car, so I'd drive with it on.)

I think I'm addicted :-)

With DS we had a ring sling which I loved at the time but by 6mths he was too heavy so we got a structured backpack with was AWESOME even DH loved it. I also had a kapoochi which I liked but found it difficult to get him out of when sleeping

With DD I started off with a HAB, then made my own in a lighter cotton as the jersey was just too hot here. then she went into the backpack but due to DS use it was worn out so now we have an Ergo which is devine and by far my fav as it does all three things (wish I had discovered it earlier) I would love to hear how others found the ergo for little babies?

My babies are always being carried and they love it and I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    people buy themselves shoes and perfume for a treat for similar prices, so I figure I can buy myself a different sort of accessory...
    Love that justification Nelle

And Cailin, ahh yep I remember now that you put the HAB on before we went out when you visited. Just had a moment of temporary insanity where I forgot LOL!

Ok...I'm putting my hand up here. I'm an incorrigible, incurable baby carrier addict.

At the moment I have a HAB and an Ergo. I love both of them for different reasons. The HAB is just so lovely and snuggly and supportive to wear with a newborn - although I have been using the newborn insert with the Ergo a fair bit. The Ergo is definately easier to put on when you're out and about, and easier (for me) for breastfeeding. I can wear the Ergo for longer periods of time. On the days that I go into town, I can be wearing Sammy around for 4-5 hours or so - on these occasions I find that the HAB stretches a bit too much and becomes less supportive over time. This is easy fixed by taking him out and re-tying it - but most of the time I couldn't be bothered.

I would LOVE a babyhawk after reading all your posts and looking it up on the 'net! They are sooooo pretty. I like your justification Nelle - I am planning to use it with DH! I never buy nice things for myself (too depressed to buy new clothes with the extra baby kilos!). Watch this space. Maybe next payday! The pouch slings look nice and easy to use too - though I'm not convinced they'd be as good for your back as some of the other options.

~Belinda~ Guest

I find the Baby Bjorn to be the best for us

I bought a Bubba and Moe Sling and Madeleine really disliked it so I sold it recently on ebay. It's funny how some Bubs love those slings and others don't! Each baby is so different!!!

Hiya Juliette, you're among friends here, haha.

The pouch style slings are great, but you're right, they're not a great option for long stretches. I love ours for situations where I'd normally do a hip carry, but it gives my arms a break and frees up my hands - so nicking into a post office, standing and chatting with people. It folds up really nice and small, so it just gets kept in the nappy bag.

Ooer, what BabyHawk combinations are you looking at? If anyone's interested and feels like having an opinion, I've got some of the fabrics I like on my blog (link in sig) - just skip all my ramble and see what you like! It's such a hard decision!!

Speaking of Mei Tais, dh decided he wanted to have a shot at the BHB Mei Tai just before. Unfortunately, we were working with a hot tired teething kid. Who accidentally got poked in the face by dh. I thought it was going to be disaster and the end of dh's babywearing, but I put Riv on after to show dh, and then Riv decided to pull out his rare trick of actually calling dh 'dada', and the day was saved! Phewf! So dh has decided he'll try again on a morning when Riv is fresh.
    (And I might wear Riv for a short while every day, so he is back in the practice of being worn and works with us, not against us. It's so much easier when bub knows what's happening.)
    SO - there's a moral in all of this - if you're trying something new, or getting your partner to try babywearing - pick your moment carefully! Do it with a fresh baby!!

Saram, I know there are people up in Qland who like meshy kind of slings, I think the material is called Solarveil? Cos it's breathable but protects bub from UV rays or something?

I erm...might have ordered my Pikkolo... Very excited, I think dh will really like it too, when new bub comes, he can wear Riv and Riv won't feel left out.

ETA: Hiya Bindy! I know with little'uns there's a knack to using ring slings - I borrowed an aunt's sling, but it had a padded shoulder and I could never get it tight enough - could never get bub close enough to me! We liked the Baby Bjorn too, when Riv was little - I just found that its lifespan was limited, in that it wasn't long before he felt too heavy for it and it hurt my shoulders. On the plus side, if that ever happens for you, they're not too hard to onsell and find something else!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast