Thread: ergo for a newborn?

Default ergo for a newborn?

I already have a ring sling and a BB but neither of them really give me that secure feeling that I can let go of DD when she's in it, and I really wasn't happy with the BB for my DD when she was really teeny tiny.

Anyway, with my next bubby due just before DD turns 1 I want a carrier that I can put the new baby in while dealing with my DD. I really love the look of the ergo, bujt am a bit worried that it won't hold my newborn in tightly so I can go "hands free". Does anyone know if it does, or am I just as well staying with the ring sling until DD#2 is a bit bigger?

I used a ring sling for Tom all the time while toddler wrangling with Jack. Funnily enough, like you, I didn't always feel secure with it with Jack, but it seemed to click with Tom. If you make sure that bubs bum is right on the seam it is much more secure. Maybe practice a bit with a big doll or teddy bear?

I've been using the Ergo with infant insert with Sam since he was about 6 weeks old (so not long really I guess, but already I love it!). He still doesn't have great head control, and it is very supportive and comfy for both of us. There are two lots of instructions for using the infant insert on the instructional DVD, and I found the second way is the easiest for me. I also have a Hugabub, and you really can't beat it for a newborn in the cooler months - I find it waaay too hot in Summer). The Ergo is comfy for longer though (as baby gets bigger and heavier, I found the Hugabub more difficult to use), and is probably more versatile in terms of seasonal use, and longevity. Hope that helps!

how have others found the ergo infant carrier? is it easy to use? im worried if i bend over bubs will slip or even fall out

I LOVED it... Used it from when DS was 5 days old. I felt so secure with him in it, and was able to do most things, even the shopping... The only time I felt a little tiny bit unsafe was unloading the trolley, but I think that was more in my head, and about watching his head... He loved it too... would fall asleep and stay asleep. And the good thing was I could transfer him straight back to the bassinet with the insert wrapped round him, and he didnt wake up. I used it when out and about mostly, and did have a jazsling (like a peanut sling) as well...

ETA - I have just put a photo in the gallery of DS and I with the ergo on, and you can barely see him, he is so snug!
    Last edited by rufalina; November 24th, 2008 at 07:39 AM.

yes we love the ergo here too , i have the infant insert but cant find my ergo dvd , so she just sits on my chest (or back) in a froggy position .. the ergos are great, we are going to sydney next year and borrowing my friends ergo so we can have a 2 yr old in one and a 6mth in the other ...

lea - the ergo website has the video instructions on it...

I love it too. My DD was in it from birth and she was so snuggly - she would be asleep within a minute of me putting her in and would sleep the whole time we were out and about. I never had any concerns about her falling out. The only problem I found was that she is quite long and so she got too long to go sideways in it by about 4 months, and she wasn't comfy in a frog position so I had to stop using it with her until just recently when I was comfortable with her in it in a "sitting" position.

thanks lovelies!!
    my concern is that i have toodler group (playgroup) next year with DD1 and may need to wear D? whilst doing craft activities etc... would bubs get in the way IYKWIM?

Nah, it'll be great. I used to have DD#2 in the ergo while I ran up and down playground equipment with DD#1. They get strapped pretty close against you and you get used to where their little legs are pretty quicky (head will be over your heart so no problems there)

At my playgroup (which is in a park) I see many mums with ergos and newborns chasing after their toddlers! And other mums with the toddlers in them on their backs.

awesome thanks!!

rufalina do you have the critters insert? where did you get it from?

Yeah I do have the critters insert. I got it from ebay with the carrier...It is very cute!

thanks ruf, the mothers direct website have that one pictured so i hope its the one they stock! caramel and green dont really go with burgandy and black