Thread: The Peanut Shell

Question The Peanut Shell

Hi all,
    Does anybody have a Peanut Shell baby sling? And do you and bubs like it? I bought mine when I was pregnant and at first DS hated it, using it cradle carry style. So I went out and spent a small fortune on a Baby Bjorn which he loved but was hell on my back and pretty useless during the hotter summer days. However, now that he's a bit older and can sit kangaroo, he loves it and so do I. I'm hoping he'll keep loving so I can use it to hip and backpack carry too- then I'll really feel like I've got my money's worth!!
    I haven't seen many or heard much about them so I thought I'd see if anyone else has any experiences with them?

I don't have one. But just had a look at them. Looks kinda similar to the hugabub. What material is the peanit shell made of? Do you think it'd be too hot for summer?

Hi Antheia,
    The one I've got is a really nice lightweight cotton and reversible (black on one side and patterned on the other) but from what I remember you can get canvas and polarfleece ones too. I think maybe in cradle carry style they might be a bit hot for summer, with bubs snuggled up so close to your skin, but kangaroo and hip carry would be alright with the cotton ones.
    The other problem I had with them was the sizing- they are all one pice with no adjustable bits so you have to make sure you get the right size... but the baby store let me try a few on to be sure...

LoriRae, I have a peanut shell sling and I used to love it when Abbey was a newborn. I found feeding in it was great and I loved that she was hidden away from sticky beaks, and MIL This way no one could just go and pick her up without me actually handing her to them.

As Abbey has gooten longer though I find I can't wear her in it that way. Now she is getting better at holding herself up I carry her in it in the hip carry possi. I think as she gets even better at holding herself up it will work even better for me

LR, I had a similar sling - a pocket sling (otherwise known as a ring sling). I found DS1 hated being cradled in it (actually he hated being cradled full stop!!), but had great head control from birth, so we used it for the kangaroo carry from early on. DS2 on the other hand loved being cradled in it, and for months all our outings were spent with him asleep in the sling, leaving my hands free for DS1. I never really used the hip carry with DS2, maybe because we were comfortable with the kangaroo carry until he was too independent and wanted the pram or to walk, but I did hip carry DS1 quite a bit.

I guess my point is that they are all different, and what suits one child, won't suit another. But the versatility of slings is great as you have so many options.