Thread: **** He fell

Default **** He fell

oh my god, my ds fell off the change table this morning and landed head first onto a bunch of plastic bags

i am absolutely devastated seen as though i was standing right there when it happened. It all happened so fast and i couldn't catch him in time i have been bawling my eyes ever since it happened.

he didn't cry, he is his normal happy self, walking ok, crawling ok and ate his breakfast... should i take him to the emergency room?????? my dh said he is ok,, but he is not a fu*king doctor is he!!! I mean could something happen to his spine but not show up yet??

i feel soooo bad, how could it happen when i was right there??? i shouldn't have let him kneel on the change table

what should i do????

oh hun.
    i know its a bad feeling, but they will do this and when my dd did this we decided changing her on teh floor was the safest.
    then they start climbing and its all happening again.

ok nurse time now. lol
    has he thrown up?
    is he able to follow a toy if you move it infront of his face?
    does he still have proper balance for him?
    can he walk move all his limbs?
    can he feel it when you touch his legs? like does he laugh if you tickle his knees etc.
    has he been drowsy?

if he hasn't thrown up and not drowsy and can do the others. just keep a close eye on him.
    if he starts to get drowsy not at his usual time then take him to your gp first.

dont beat yourself up to much, you did everything humanly possible you were there.
    maybe just give him lots of cuddles today

Just keep an eye on him, keep an eye out for anything different in him.

FWIW my DS fell off the change table while I was there.. smacked his head on the corner of the drawers on his way down. He was ok Just an egg on his head.

DD fell over the back of the couch head first too. I didn't see how she landed.. but she ended up with an egg too. She was ok.

They're pretty resilient, try not to worry too much. Just keep an eye on him for a little while

Hun, If I had a dollar for every time one of mine have fallen off things and onto their heads, I would be rich. Seriously, he does sound like he is fine to me, but do keep your eye out for possible concussion etc JIC cause it might not be a problem now, but sometimes it can be later kwim?

It's not your fault at all, these things do happen sometimes and it's always so quick that you never have a chance to stop it He'll be fine and so will you.

He's 15 months old and this is the first fall? You're supermum!

Keep an eye on him for not being able to move (but if he can walk normally forget this one, he hasn't damaged his spine) and any bruising appearing. If he's in pain, that's a sign that you may need to see a doctor. But otherwise, kids fall all the time. Or maybe just my lad does. Off tables, change tables, sofas, steps in the park, chairs, beds... maybe I should do some risk management!

thanks for the reasurance ladies... i took him straight to the dr after i posted this thread and as you all told me, he is fine They were actuallly more worried about me being in shock lol.. i couldn't even talk about it without bursting into tears.

they checked him all out, movement, pupils etc etc and he is all good

so they just said what you ladies have said, to keep an eye on him for 24hrs and if he is still normal after 24 hours then there is nothing to worry about..

thanks everyone.

sirenz - Glad DS is all fine but often takes that "official" word of yes he is ok to put our minds at rest.

The guilt is often one of the worst parts!! DD fell off our lounge at about 10 weeks of age and I was beside myself!! I felt like the worst mother in the universe and totally over compensated with her for about 3 days.. She was fine though but at the time you feel so bad about it so big HUGS to you..

DD fell a few weeks ago while DH was holding her. She was standing up with DH's assistance and she threw herself in the opposite direction and he lost his grip and she hit her head on the floor (only fell from her own standing height so not too far). She cried and sobbed for about a minute but DH felt horrible for much longer than her crying lasted and she was all fine..

Give DS a big hug and remember accidents happen. You have done an awesome job to get to 15 months old without any bumps.

i still can't stop thinking about it. Everytime i go into his room and see the change table, i have flashes of him falling.

TBO when he fell i really thought i was going to be picking up my son and he would be dead from a broken neck I just can't get over it, i think i am in shock, i mean i know he is fine and not injured BUT i just can't get the image of him falling out of my mind.

Yesterday, even after being at the doctors and them telling me he was fine, i was still crying. Needless to say ds thought it was hilarious everytime i burst into tears, so at least my sadness made him happy.

How can i get over it? I keep telling myself he is ok, but its not working

You have had just as big a shock as what he has, but because he's so little he wont remember it, but unfortunately we do . I don't know how long it will take you to not get so upset about it, but it's natural to feel the way you do. I know I was a mess after my eldest child was hit by a car while crossing the road (long story but he came away with only a badly broken arm and some scrapes and bruises thankfully) and I was admitted to hospital that night too with shock and it didn't help that I was 35wks pg and I couldn't even look at him that night without crying and I hated having to see the cast on his arm and I still think about it from time to time even now, but I don't cry about it anymore. He on the other hand was fine and he doesn't think twice about it now, although he is super careful with crossing the road (which he was before, but now he's even more cautious)

Awww, big hugs . It is a sickening feeling when that happens. You need to forgive yourself, you didn't do anything to hurt him, it was an accident. Every mum has had something like this happen at least once. I'm sure you will be extra, extra vigilant of him on the change table now!

My DS2 fell off the bathroom bench onto the tiled floor once when he was smaller, I had just turned my head away for a split second to look at something and he rolled off. I felt terrible, but he was OK. My DS1 has fallen off LOTS of things! He too is just fine .

aww darl I would say he is fine These things happen!