Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Month Immunisation for 4 Month Old..

Unhappy 12 Month Immunisation for 4 Month Old..

Jesse had his 4 month Needles today. My doctor left a message on my phone to call him back afterwards, so i did. He was with a patient so called me back and told me he gave Jesse the WRONG NEEDLE!!!! How could you do that??? Its human error i know but he gave him the MMR instead of the DTP one!!! Thats the 12 months needle instead of the 4 months needle!!! OMG i was in tears I still kinda am.
    He said he called the registry and they said it should be fine but he still needs to have the DTP and the MMR at 12 months. He said to just keep an eye on him, he may get a rash in a week or too which is the measles rash. So i called the Kidsnet Help line at Westmead Childrens Hospital as i wanted a second opinion and they said he should be fine. She was super nice. She said if he gets a fever of over 38 or starts vomiting then he needs to go into Hospital and may get that rash in a week but doesnt mean he has Measles, is just reaction. So now he has to have another jab next week too. My poor lil boy. Though obviously im more upset than him but im still dumfounded that he gave him the 12 month needles.

Just wondering if anyone else's doctor has done this to them? Im sure its very rare but im still worried even though they say he should be fine :frown:

Melinda Guest

OMG!! No, that has never happened to me, but by god I'd be fuming if it had!!!

I thought those kinds of things were meant to be double-checked?! I know that at the Doctor's Surgery where Jacob and Ruby have their needles, the nurse prepares them, then takes them to the Doctor and then the nurse actually gives them - so effectively 2 people look at the needles before they are administered!

I'd be giving serious consideration to making a formal complaint about it!!!!

I can totally understand why you are so upset! My blood is boiling just thinking about it!

oh Kell. Thats terrible. Don't worry, hun - just keep an eye on him. He should be fine. That Dr is a freakin idiot.

I know, youd think with an injection you would definately check what youre suppose to be giving.. especially for a little baby! Im still in shock i think. I have the biggest headache from worry and stress. I just cant believe it.
    For his 2 month needles, the nurse went and got the stuff and he administered it but this one he went and got the stuff himself.

Im so angry and upset i feel sick.. i was so worried to start with for days about him just getting the needles and now they were the wrong ones! Nothing better happen to him that all i can say! My poor lil man :frown:

Thanks for your support guys

Yeh ill see how he goes. He's asleep at the moment poor little guy. He seemed happy enough before his sleep and he doesnt have a temperature yet, but if he gets one ill be straight out the door.

Thanks mate.

The MMR is considered safe for children under the age of one year - the reason it is not given on the schedule is that their immune system, at that age, will not have a significant enough reaction to it, and as a result, they won't get any lasting immunity from it. After the age of 1, their immune system is mature enough to react to it, and they get a moderate immunity - however, they still need the doses repeated at intervals, which is why they give three lots of the MMR on the schedule - it takes three doses to achieve a long-lasting immunity.

Hypothetically, if you wait until the age of four or five, you only need one dose to achieve a long-lasting immunity.

So, the immunisation is no more dangerous to a 4 month old than it is to a 12 month old. It just isn't as effective.

That said, I would strongly encourage you to amke a formal complaint - in writing. Both to the surgery, and to the AMA. An error like this has the potential to be fatal, and I am not exagerating. There are stringent rules in place about the checking and administration of vaccines because, mis-handled, they can be lethal. This surgery cannot be allowed to get away with such lax medication and vaccination handling policies. This is an absolute disgrace.

Thanks Michael. Knowing that has made me feel alot better.

I agree it was an absolute disgrace. We'll think about the complaint. This Dr has been DH's family doctor forever so he doesnt want to do anything.. im still in shock about it all i think. As long as Jesse's ok thats all i care about. Im really thinking twice about going back to him though.

Thanks again everyone for your concerns.

Kellxx- I agree with a couple of the others here, I really think you should make a formal complaint about it as obviously the surgeries procedures and protocols for handling vaccines aren't stringent enough. It is good to know that the vaccine administered isn't dangerous to him, but I'm sure plenty of other vaccines in the surgeries fridge may have been.
    I'm really happy to hear that little Jesse will likely be fine from the incorrect vaccine (other than the usual possible side effects). Poor little bugger about needing to be re-vaccinated tho!

And big hugs to you - you've had more stress than a new mum needs today.

OMG how disgusting!! I agree with everyone, a formal complaint is in order!! One day it might a fatal mistake for someones poor baby...

I hope jesse will be fine... thinking of you kel

OMG ((((((hugs )))))) you poor thing i know how i felt every time needle time rocked around with Ryan and the other 2 i can't begin to know how you are feeling but i can guess scared and angry and so you should be if you have any worried at all straight to the ER what a toss of a doctor i wouldn't be going back him

I can not believe that it would happen either... aren't Dr's meant to have the drugs checked like nurses do???

You poor thng, I can only imagine how mad and upset you are... Hugest hugs and fingers crossed Jesse is fine... as I am sure he will be..

Mel

Kell, I have asked a few friends that have extensive immunisation knowledge and they have all told me to strongly advise you to please wait a few weeks to carry on with the schedule to not overload the poor little guys system.

I must add that these people are all anti immunisation anyway, but maybe better to be safe than sorry?

I hope Jesse is feeling okay and you're not so stressed now. Big hugs to you hun.

Thanks again for all your concerns, really means alot.

Jesse seems to be his happy self so far, but am keeping a very close eye on him.
    Nat, Will see how he goes over the next week and as to whether the rash will break out. I want to go back to that doctor next week to tell him what i think of him.
    DH doesnt want to forward any complaints but everyone around me is saying i should.. in a way i have to respect DH's decisions.. but im looking for another doctor anyways. Its just something i cant risk, Jesse is too precious to me. Once i find one im going to send an anonomous letter. We're just so lucky it was something that wasnt too harmful.. if he had picked up something like a flu injection or something that was meant for an adult, who knows what would have happened to little Jesse.. i dont even want to think.

Thanks again for all your hugs... Ill go give them to Jess now.. he loves cuddles

I'm happy to hear that Jesse is ok ...

I think finding another doctor is a great idea, do you have any friends who could recommend one to you?

No unfortunately. Im kinda new to this area, i grew up on the beaches. I really should join a mothers group or something.
    But yeh, if anyone can recommend a Doctor around the Hawkesbury area that would be great

Hey Kell, there are heaps of girls around that area. Here is our Local Member thread.

eta i REMOVED THIS LINK BECAUSE IT WAS WRONG, LOL
    Last edited by hannanat; January 15th, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: I POSTED THE WRONG LINK - I'M AN IDIOT, LOL....

Oh cool.. thanks so much Nat.. um i think you may have posted the wrong link?

LMAO did I - hold on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast