Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Month Immunisation for 4 Month Old..

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...splay.php?f=75

Try that, and just go to NSW and ACT, lol
    Sorry hun

He seems fine so far thanks Caro. He's asleep now but had been his happy self so far. Didnt even get a temp last night either like he did with his 2 month needles. No spots so far.. so fingers crossed he stays that way

Hehee.. thanks again Nat, youre a gem

So glad that Jesse is doing well Kelly... what a scare

NewmumLou Guest

That is rediculous! I cant believe that would actually happen, i understand human error, but come on .... this is a baby and putting a foreign object in its body! This has never happened to me but i will make sure the doctor double checks it next time before administering it!

Hi Kelly,

I know someone who got a similar phone call to you, but different circumstances.

They were called to be told that their 18month old had been given the 6 month injections. Thing is, their daughter *was* six months old, but medicare had her details wrong and it said she was 18months.

But still, its the same mistake, she's just lucky that they made it rather than unlucky.

ETA - This was at a council run immunisation, not at a doctors surgery.
    Last edited by Pandora; January 17th, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: clarity

Really? Thats terrible even so to give them that scare. You'd think the doctor would know the difference between a 6 month old and an 18 month old? At least she was given the right one in the end though. I think Doctors really need to be more careful, ok human error, but especially when dealing with little babies.

Thanks Mel.

Newmumlou.. yeh definately.. ill be checking with everything he's given from now on for sure.. its just too risky and important to get it right.

Kell, I would be strongly advising you to lodge a complaint & explaining to your DH that had it been numerous other drugs stored at the DR's injected into your son it could have killed him, would the DR then be owning up? It could be smeone else's child that could be killed today, tomorrow or in the future due to the procedure for inections obviously not being followed, can your DH allow that?

I think if anything the DR should be saying Thank-you for having a new procedure set in place & checked over thoroughly PRIOR to killing someone...

I am glad Jesse is OK..

((hugs))

I agree with Tracey, this could happen again with far more dire results if you don't report it. I would be devastated if this happened, thank goodness its not dangerous and Jesse is gooing to be fine. Its traumatic enough getting their needles done without this isn't it? On a similar line my gf took her 4 yr old for his "school" needles which was fairly traumatic but then surgery rang a few days later and said "sorry one of our fridges wasn't working so the vaccine wasn't cold enough he'll need to be done again!" Needless to say neither mum nor child was happy about that!

Just also thinking about it (sorry Kell) But Jesse may not be the first time it's happened, it may now have happened to him, coz another person/parent whoever had similar experience & never reported it... They could have prevented it from happening to you & you can now prevent it from happening again...

I think if I ran a prictise I'd wnat to know & have to answer to it, as if he has partners etc in the practise who's to say they know their jobs properly!!

I just think it's a tad to serious to brush under the mat, I can see & understand your DH's situation, it is very difficult, but at the same time, it's just lucky it wasnt serious this time, who knows about next!!!

I cannot believe that happened!!! I would be absolutely furious. It's such a big thing for them to get injections let alone the wrong one. I hope he's okay.

Kell, I have always taken the kids to the Hawkesbury Hospital for their needles. They run the immunisation clinic at the community health centre. I am always more then happy with how they do the needles. You see them check the needles & have the other nurse check before giving them. They are always very caring towards me & my babies. I highly recomend using the clinic for needles. Other then the fact they are so good, your also at the best venue incase of a reaction, the hospital!
    As for Dr's in the local area, I go to Dr Hanna Eskanda at North Richmond. She is nice. My only complaint about her is she isn't the greatest when their is little ones touching all the things in her office. She never says anything but you can tell it gets on her nerves that they might break something. If only she would bring some toys to put in the corner rather then her expensive equipment with all the interesting buttons!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I believe he would have written an incident report himself - else why would he call and admit it.They keep records of the batch numbers given in case there are reactions/problems etc.

I would be very upset if it happened to my sons too, Kell.I hope Jesse is okay.
    Fiona, we go to immunisation clinics too.They have after hours ones so Dh can come too.The last 3 times the exact same nurses have been there and given each of the boys their injections.I trust them completely.

We go to Bligh Park Family Medical practice (at shops)- one of the main experienced drs has a baby son a little older than ours and he has been there a while but is still young.They have toys and books there too.

I always go to the evening one as well. Its always the same nurses on too. I also trust them 100%. My kids have never made a big fuss about getting the needle & I think its because of the nurses technique. I had Glenn done once at the clinic during a day session & it was a different nurse, I didn't like her, it took a good 15 minuted to calm poor glenn down after his 4mth shots. The problem was she just jabbed him as soon as he was layed down, rather then letting him relax in the position, so he was all tense when she did it & I think that made it hurt more.

Thats great to know, thanks Fiona. This doctor was in Richmond. I would see a lady doctor at the same practice for my girly things, but i dunno.. she doesnt seem to be all there sometimes so im not really keen on Jesse now going to her.. but i may serach that other one in North Richmond down. Do they bulk bill?
    Yeh i remember the midwives saying there was the free immunisations at the clinics but we thought we'd just be best going to our regular GP so he had it all on record.. boy were we wrong.

We're really close to bligh park too Baby~amore.. we're on Macquarie Street so its only 2 minutes away. Might even think about going there too.

Jess is still going strong.. he's a little trooper. Only just getting over his needle grumpiness and now he has to have another jab.. poor thing.

Thanks again for all your concerns

xx

Ps.. Fionajill.. Isla is absolutely gorgeous in your ticker!!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

The Health clinic records it in the blue book and sends it to Govt as well I think through medicare so it is on record for Immunisation payment after 18/12 months injections.

The Bligh Park practice some Drs bulk bill after 1st visit for the year.But not all.

You can ring health centre and ask they have the clinics Bligh Park too.It wouldn't hurt to ring and ask them about when he should have the proper 4/12 injections either.They are lovely.

Dr Eskanda bulk bills for patients with a health care card. Hers is the North Richmond Family practice, next to the chemist, next to video ezy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12