Thread: 16mnth development

Default 16mnth development

Hi, i found this on the interenet today for 16mnth olds-

(below are some of the receptive language skills expected of a child between the ages of 15-18 months (information adapted from the Rossetti Infant Toddler Language Scale, 1990, LinguiSystems, Inc., 1-800-776-4332):

Find familiar objects that are not visible when asked (Where is your shoe?)
    Choose two known objects from a group when asked
    Understand at least 50 words spoken by an adult
    Point to at least 6 body parts or clothing items
    Follow a 2-part direction with one object (Go get your cup and put it in the sink)
    Expressive language skills expected of a 15-18 month old can include:

Saying 10-15 meaningful words
    Use words rather than pointing or pulling
    Asking "More" and "What's that?"
    Labeling multiple objects when asked
    Imitating adult speech
    Children in this age range are starting to figure out the usefulness of language. They are interested in learning the names of things and are trying to say new words. Most importantly, 15-18 month old children are learning the social value of language and are using words to interact with others in their environment!

hey no way would my toddler know 10 words to say..

God my DD is nearly 16 months, she only has 3 words but does seem to understand a fair bit. I think she still has a bit of a way to go though to meet all the things on the list.

Find familiar objects that are not visible when asked (Where is your shoe?)yep does this I ask him where is your water and he finds it
    Choose two known objects from a group when asked never tried this one except if you count telling him to push the red button on a a toy
    Understand at least 50 words spoken by an adult I think we would be close
    Point to at least 6 body parts or clothing items no wayI really should start this though
    Follow a 2-part direction with one object (Go get your cup and put it in the sink)yep as above I can tellhimt o get his water and have a drink or ok mate nappy change and he will head to his room
    Expressive language skills expected of a 15-18 month old can include:

Saying 10-15 meaningful words mum, dad, dog, he signs for drink, what, huh, uh oh, lo (hello) ta ta (bye) these are everyday words used in context except what is also a everything word like no for some kids
    Use words rather than pointing or pulling this last week he will say up and raise his hands when he wants to be picked up
    Asking "More" and "What's that?" as I said signs for milk, and will also say huh when looking at a book so sought of
    Labeling multiple objects when asked nope
    Imitating adult speechhe tries hard you can see him mime words and then he tries to say it, for example boat, boo bird etc

so Jack is doing fairly well I suppose

shell bell, glad i am not the only one which a child who is not using words like no tomorrow

*Nessa* Guest

oh my DD is def not there.

she says about 3-4 words and thats it.

Loves to point and say ehhh though.

Mind you she does understand alot and if you repeat something to her about 10 times she eventually does it. but she also has selective hearing where she hears what she wants to.

as for the body parts, no way.

Lol Ness on the selective hearing, Ash is the same, seems to be with the word no.

Hmmm.. well Jesse is no where near any of those.

He's only just started pointing and only points to pictures in a book.

Only says a handful of words, half of them no one would understand but i know what they mean, like "tee" for Thomas.

He wouldnt know his head from his butt, even though i point to his ear and toes and all that.

Wouldnt follow instructions like that. I can say wheres your book.. only cos he loves books he'll go find one so youll read it to him but thats it.

Probably knows more like 30 words spoken to him.

Yeh i dont really think thats too accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by december View Post
    hey no way would my toddler know 10 words to say..
    Just like most other developmental milestones, the development of language/communication has a range of NORMAL varience from child to child. I think what is important, is that your 15-18mth old child is starting to attempt to communicate with you (any method including gesture and grunts) and is showing and understading of some familiar, simple, verbal directions. An interest in communication, and an attempt at some verbal communication is the key at this age. Don't worry if your child does not have 10 words, so long as they are starting to make and copy words. Lists like this can be worrying if you don't have professional advice about why they are developed.
    Last edited by Jac; January 13th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.