Thread: 1st Birthday eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

Question 1st Birthday eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

I cannot believe just how fast this last year has gone ... nor can I believe we have almost made it through in one piece

I should start by saying I can talk my way into ANY purchase s please bear that in mind.

We are thinking of having a sausage sizzle for DD 1st birthday, I was going to do this big party but really she won't remember it, its going to have to be in between her nap time and (as usual) it will be left to me to organise and as sad as it sounds I really cannot be bothered organising a massive "do"

We have a fairly decent size yard and a nice BBQ and I think if we provide the basics sausages, bread, non alcoholic drinks, nibbles we might get away with it being just a couple of hundred.

Was planning on inviting mainly family and a few close friends rather than a tonne of people plus the 17 mums n bubs from my original mums group. I think there are only 3 that keep in regular contact but have 6 that come to anything that I put on out here.

Ideally we'd have two parties ... one for family, you know inviting all the obligatries (sp?), then have another with all the people we ACTUALLY want.

Anyhoo

Its a november birthday so the weather will be fine hopefully and considering the space I am toying with the idea of purchasing a pop up marquee, they are not terribly exxy on ebay and I am hoping that it will be something that will come in handy over the years (unless FIL gives me the go ahead to build a covered pergola).

What does everyone think?

I don't particularly want everyone trudging through the house so what is the general feeling on purchasing this tent thingy?

Also is a BBQ ok for a 1st birthday? it kinda feels a bit of a meh thing and though its a special occasion, we'll be the only ones that remember it ... I mean her second birthday, now that will be different.

Thoughts ???

Nae x x x

I personally think a BBQ sounds like a fantastic 1st birthday! Will hopefully be very relaxed & you will be able to really enjoy the day too.
    As for the marquee - I'd do it! Will be less mess with everyone outside.

That's all we did, a BBQ with family and friends ... and her second wasn't that different.

Well done on the marque idea. I didn't. It was sunny, hot and not much shade. Had people scattered around the back yard trying to hid under the tiny bits of shade. It was awkward.
    Her second was smaller, just family, a little BBQ, an ice-cream cake. Jazz had fun. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. The smaller do's are usually the less stress and the most fun for everyone. Less can go wrong

Isn't scary that their first birthdays are coming up!?!?!? DH said something to me tonight that she'll be 1 soon *sob sob*

I don't think we are doing anything for Eden's though - maybe have a cake and a few friends round, or maybe my mum will fly down for it - don't really have much family here to do anything with anyway!

So will probably just be the BB girls I normally hang out with!

ETA - but yes I think a BBQ is fine for a 1st birthday Nice and cas.

BBQ is a great idea. If her first birthday is anything like Ben or Oscar's she will be asleep for most of it Lol!
    You can get Marquee's also from Bunnings that are very reasonably priced. We had one when we didn't have a pergola and it served it's purpose.
    We only had family and close friends for all of our first birthdays..probably same for Tess
    And the cake..well the decorations was for the baby and the first birthday picture, the cake itself was for the adults, chocolate mud
    Just remember to enjoy Nae, it comes and goes soooo quickly.

Thanks ladies :-)

Sadly both our families are largish we'd have to invite my uncles/Aunts etc as well as DH siblings (4 plus kids etc) there are 30ish just in family I know not everyone will come but still IF they did thats a lot of people already

Nae x x

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We have been to a few BBQ 1st bday parties and they were great, nice and relaxed and fun!!

Sounds like a great idea!

You can decorate the marque nicely.

Can't believe little miss is nearly 1.

Hun, that's all we're doing for DS birthday (but that's all we can afford)

Quote Originally Posted by Sopdet View Post
    Can't believe little miss is nearly 1.
    I KNOW!!!!!~

I was reliving my story of my 4 angels ( 3 heaven and one earth bound) to a lady today and I just could not believe how far away it all seems now and that Miss is nearly out of her "baby" year and into her "toddler" years

Now I am willing AF to come back so we can start TTC again can you believe that!!

We are having a BIG 1st birthday because it's just easier to invite everyone rather than working out who to invite!! As my DD gets older it's easier to decide but for DS
    1st it will be the big event. We are just having an afternoon tea with LOTS of people and kids and we're hiring a face painter ($60 an hour) because that will keep the older kids happy!!

Anyway......I was thinking in hindsight to make it easier but still fun we could have had a BREAKFAST party - BBQ!!! You could have it around 9am for a couple of hours so by lunch time everyone will be out of your hair! BBQ some bacon, eggs and sausages and do some toast and fruit and you're done!! Easy - Wish I had thought of it earlier! Anyway a BBQ is a great idea anyway!

*drool* breakfast BBQ

We do those the morning after the night before we haven't had people stay since DD was born though.

We live a long way from most of the people who will come so 9 might be a bit too early. its a great idea though!!!. On a side note I did actually tell mum today that I'll be writing in the invites 11.30 - 1.30 and that if people are still around when its her bed time I will be taking her away from the party and putting her to bed regardless of who is here or how far they travelled (her two best arguements to get around things) ... yep I am a mean biatch

Nah I think that's fair enough - it is HER day after all. If the little miss needs her sleep, the little miss needs her sleep!