Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st birthday - what did you do?

Default 1st birthday - what did you do?

Hey All!!

Well its just a little under 2 months until Avaleigh's first birthday and I am starting to wonder what we should. My mum is saying dont do anything big because Avaleigh want remember. And then other people said its really a party for the parents because they survived the first year!!

So, what did you do for your child's first birthday?

Hey Veronica!

We had ours a week and a bit ago! All we did was go to to a park near the river (Pt Walter) and had a picnic and nibbles on the grass. We just had a few family members and friends from mothers group. A big grassed area was great as the kids could kick a footy and the babies could crawl around as much as they wanted...Hmmmm..actually probably no help to you as I guess outdoors in July wouldn't be a great idea! But anyway, have fun!!!

Thats would be a good idea if the weather was nice.. not something to predict in winter tho!!

I was thinking about doing something at home but am I bit worried about my dogs as they can get a bit jealous and attack each other. They would NEVER attack a person, its just not very good when they attack each other. PLUS I dont want to clean up the mess! LOL

We just had a family lunch. We waited until the 2nd birthday for a party - he was more aware then and really enjoyed it.

We had a friends and family BBQ, I asked family to bring a salad each and we put on the drinks and meat as well as the dessert. It was a great day and has since become a birthday tradition for the family!
    Snoopea

I like the idea of a BBQ.. I am thinking of maybe doing something late afternoon so family can come and then who ever wants to stay later can for drinks!

We could always lock the dogs away for the night...

And OOPSIE! I have just seen there is a forum for children's parties. Mods, please feel free to move it to correct place!

smiles4u Guest

Wink

Veronica, ... We went ' all out ' with our only child's 1st b'day party (our daughter Cendrine)

... She took some years to arrive (I had her at 40), so I guess it was a personal celebration for DP & I too

We invited about 93 people & guessing about 50 or 60 came !!

Party started at 1pm (many were traveling far to get to the party) & we had the hall all night if we wanted. But most started leaving about 4pm, some 5pm. Which was great as we were so tired & wanted to go crash.

... Had it in a hall as we remembered her actual birth-day was a cold one. Lucky we didn't have a marque in the backyard like we originally decided as it turned out her 1st b'day party was raining & freezing cold (the hall was fantastic, cost us $80 to hire, was big & very clean, & plenty of heating. We were so warm some guests asked to turn some heaters off, LOL).

We didn't have a theme as such. We had 1st b'day balloons & banner. But we chose the colours more as a theme. Bright Orange (DP's fav colour) & Hot Pink (seeing she is a girl).

Sadly my parents couldn't come. So, we had fish & star decorations, etc ...here & there. My Dad's nickname for her is "Little Fish" & Mum's is "Little Star".

We had alcohol at the party as I was pregnant with her on my 40th b'day party ... So, I said it was making up for that, hee hee

Did a BBQ (hamburgers, sausages, kebabs), had tons of salads, sliced bread & bread rolls, hot foods like homemade sausage rolls & party pies & pizza wheels. For desserts we had everything you could possibly imagine (it was worth watching the kids eyes light up there).

I would suggest to use the Birthday Cake as part of the desserts

I not only gave loot/party bags to the children BUT also the Adults. If they were a couple I gave them one to share. I can't tell you what a hit it was with the adults ...They LOVED that idea !!

... To be honest, DP & I were so stuffed & tired because we had to do the entire party on own (as we live far away from everyone).

We didn't feel like we had anytime to spend with our daughter on her special day
    But, luckily her actual b'day was the next day (a Sunday) & it was just us "3"

*** I would suggest if you are going to go ' big ' with a party DON'T do it on your child's actual birthday !!!!!!! ***

We have NO regrets because it made us so HAPPY that so many people that came to the party were still talking about it a year later what a GREAT time they had And we were happy the party wasn't on her actual birthday.

DON'T FORGET YOU NEED TO " ENJOY" THEIR BIRTHDAY TOO !!!!!

Hey V! Suc a big decision hey! We decided that although she wouldn't remember it - we would!! We also wanted to celebrate the fact that she has brought us so much joy in the last year and wanted to spoil our girl a little! Plus she had an absolute ball! We had about 35 people at home, afternoon tea! I got MIL, mum and sister to do a bit of cooking, plus we did easy nibbles and hot food. I bought napkins, plates, cups etc so the only cleaning was a few big platters and the general vacuuming etc! If you have nice weather I think a park would be great = that is what I would do if she was born in a month where it isn't 11 degrees on the day!

I did little party bags for the few babies and kids that came and the adults got cake! I made her cake ( in my gallery I am very proud!!) and cupcakes etc! I loved that we did it and wouldn't change a thing!!!! Enjoy whatever you decide to do - have fun with it all, and it is great to plan now hun, it comes up really quickly!

We just had a BBQ at our place with family and friends. Was a really nice day and thankfully weather was perfect.

i read somewhere that a childs 1st birthday is just as important for the mother also - as a mother often reflects on her labour, first hold of bub etc on this day. And i kinda agree. It is a special day for you, DH and your lil girl. Close family, nice meal, and a big ole fuss over your little girl sounds perfect.......

I guess it depends on how many people you intend asking???? - and will other kids be going too ?? We recently had our DD#3 christening at a Sports Club @ $12 per person for sandwiches. It was the BEST day. No cooking and cleaning on my part, and it was perfect just to sit back and relax. I made the cake. It was all over in 2 hours.....no waiting for people to leave your house, it was a really good day..

Good LUck.

It is definitely a big deal. We had a BBQ with family and friends. We had about 40 or so people. Had party sausage rolls, party pasties and sandwhiches for the kids. Hamburgers (homemade), sausages, marinated chicken wings and drummettes, salads,bread rolls for adults. Then an array of sweets..choc crackles, fairy bread, pikelets with jam a cream, savoury scones and cupcakes...my mum and sisters did most of the sweets so that was great. I made her cake and we had a ladybug theme. It was an absolutely massive day...we were absolutely exhausted by the end of the day but it was an excellent day. We haven't had DD christened/baptised/or naming day so it was our first family event since she was born...so ti was very special. Would only do it for a first birthday as it is too big otherwise but it was great.

Both DH and I come from large extended families so no matter how often we try to keep things "small" it just doesnt quite happen.

For DD's birthday we had around 50 close family and friends for lunch at our house. We had a pig on the spit that my uncle did for us, lots of salads and pastas and for dessert a lot of family members bought a sweet so it wasnt that costly. We did have a small jumpy castle and a blow up ballpit for the kids and we themed it as a "Princess" party, as Gabriella always has been everyone's little princess.

DS's 1st birthday is in June so the weather is so unpredictable. We had around the same amount of people again but this time just did a sausage sizzle at ours with lots of desserts. We had one of those petting animal farms come to the house which the kids absolutely adored expecially Alex! We have a reasonably ok patio area and our garage opens up into the backyard so we removed the cars and set up tables in the garage. In the end on the day it just drizzled so we were lucky.

Honestly, I had great fun and planning and hosting each birthday and yes it is a celebration for the parents but my kids "seemed" to enjoy it too!

V - we had a party and I'm so glad we did! It was so great to spoil our princess and she had the best time. Also it was nice for us to reflect on the past year and to celebrate that 'we made it' lol! We had a BBQ (sausages and burgers) and salads and for dessert we had birthday cake (of course!) and I also made cupcakes, chocolate crackles and some other slices/biscuits. We had help with aunts/uncles bringing a salad. Good luck deciding. I would definitely do it again, although only for a first birthday

Thanks for all the ideas people!!

I love the idea of a pig on the spit!! When we have BBQ's I spent most of the time in the kitchen preparing all the food and dont really enjoy myself, so pig on the spit would be perfect!

I cheated at my BBQ, bought salads pre-made, sent the men out to cook everything on the BBQ and just set up dips, chips, that sort of thing. Used paper/ plastic plates and cups so no dishes to wash and not much time spent in kitchen!

You can hire the spit from most party hire places and they feed so many people and is relatively easy to do - all the men love standing around acting all "carnivorous" and "caveman like" . And so much easier then doing a bbq - just make sure you have someone who is handy with a knife.

We'll be having a thomas tha tank themed BBQ at my parents house. It will really only be family, a few close friends, and maybe the bubs outta my mothers group... not sure on that yet though.
    I have a few Thomas decos, and will get a thomas cake, but other than that, I'm not going the full hog. Something nice and simple, considering my B'day is the weekend before, and I have my wedding coming up.

Enchanted Guest

How exciting V! I remember when we used to chat all day wishing these little bubbas of ours would hurry up and and come out already!!!

For Oscar's birthday we are having finger food ie. sausage rolls, party pies, pastizzi's (sp?) etc. We have gone with a Pirate theme (I have actually just got home from the shops with a heap of stuff ) We will be having close family and friends. We can't really afford to spend a heap of money but I am sure we will have a lovely day!

A pig on the spit sounds great! Like you said.. that way you can relax and enjoy yourself! If you want to have a theme just google birthday themes and it comes up with some great ideas!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast