Thread: 6.5 month old semi crawling..

LilBelle Guest

Default 6.5 month old semi crawling..

my DS is 6.5 months old and he's semi crawling. Picture a soldier crawling on his tummy in the mud...that's what he does. He first gets on on all fours...and wobbles like a praying mantice, then he lunges forward onto his tummy and starts crawling, sometimes combining it all..so that he's kinda crawling on all fours..he moves his knees to crawl but he doesnt quite know what to do with his hands, so he flops onto his belly. it only takes him about 2 minutes to get from one corner of the room to the other.
    He can kinda sit up by himself without support but only for about 30 seconds..are they supposed to sit first? and is this how babies normally start out when crawling?

Don't worry they all do things at different times.
    My oldest didn't even roll till he was 6 months. My middle one did this crazy commando shuffle thing using his big toe to propel him about the floor from about 5 months. It developed a callus! My youngest rolled at 4 and was crawling around the house at 6 months.
    I don't think any of them sat up till they had the crawling figured out.

My DD has just started doing exactly the same thing since yesterday!! I call it dragging rather than crawling but she's on the move and I have just spent all morning child proofing the lounge room!
    As far as sitting goes -I read somewhere that sitting is not a developmental stage- it is something that all bubs do - so you don't need to worry! Rolling, crawling, pulling up then walking is the basic developmental frame - and sitting occurs in there whenever they are ready! Congratulations and enjoy your DS!

That sounds so cute! Don't worry about the sitting thing. My DD was sitting at 5 months, but didn't start crawling properly until she was 9 months.

Sounds like he's doing wonderfully!
    The MCHN told me they are not looking at bubs sitting unaided until they're around 9 months old. My DD sat before she crawled and I think that's why it took her longer to get herself around. Personally, I'd rather she have crawled before she sat, but I guess its not our decision, is it? LOL! Good on you, your son sounds like he's going great guns.

LilBelle Guest

Thanks so much for all the replies!
    It is very cute, especially when he gets on all fours like a praying mantice...it's gorgeous. he's mastered rolling..which can be annoying sometimes, because i'll be changing his nappy and he'll roll over so fast i didn't even get a chance to blink!

LOL! I know that one, Lilbelle! Every night after her bath catching Natalie in order to put nappy and pyjamas on is like trying to catch a greased pig!