Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Weeks Old...

Default 6 Weeks Old...

I wasnt sure where to put this so I'll leave it in the general section...

I dont know if there is something wrong with my DS or this is normal for newborns.

Firstly, anytime he is awake, he is crying... I think he probably spends about 30 minutes of his day awake and not crying.

At the same time, everytime I put him down in his cradle he cries. If I have let him fall asleep with me and then put him down, he wakes up in under an hour and cries.

I just cant stand to hear the crying anymore and I dont know if there is something wrong and I'm not seeing it.

Maybe he is reeeeeeaaaallllyyyyyy tired and just cant settle. I would just cuddle, go for a walk, use a sling and keep bub close.

Its hard hearing them cryin isnt. Have you got a carrier? Babies like to be near you especially being only 6 weeks he is still adjusting to the world. whenever my boys made a noise I would offer a feed

Good luck hun hope someone has some better help than me x

Hi.

I don't have much advice...as I am a new mother myself, however I'm positive that there are lots of BBers who can give you advice.

I just wanted to say I know how exhausted this experience can be and hope you find a solution very quickly

Congratulations on your little man.

It is all very overwhelming in those first few weeks isnt it? And the crying can be very very hard I have had five now and that crying hasnt gotten any easier to hear.

The first few weeks of their little lives are such a learning experience just as much for them as us.
    I totally agree with the sling and the closeness that they need. If it is becoming a bit much do you have support you can call on?
    Putting him in a safe place to let him cry while you take five minutes for yourself is a must if you need to. I would put my ipod on and go out the back just to chill and breathe.

A few things you may want to look at if you are concerned

Wind - my 2nd son suffered chronic wind issues it was a nightmare! Who knew a burp could cause such issues?
    Reflux - this was number 3 son. He had to be upright all the time so sleeping was basically non exisitant, again not much fun
    how was his birth? My friends daughter got stuck in the birth canal and dislocated her shoulder which wasnt picked up for a few weeks.

Of course not saying he has any of this but maybe by process of elimination you could rule them out?

If you are worried dont hesitate to go see your CHN or GP. I hope you get some answers soon and hang in there it gets much easier
    Last edited by Feijoa Mum; September 20th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

There are a few possibilities - the most likely is that he's a fairly normal newborn
    Definitely see your CHN if you're in need of reassurance - hopefully you have a kind, supportive one?

Sometimes it's simple stuff, like being overtired and/or overstimulated - that makes it near on impossible for them to settle without you.
    Digestive issues are also very common - they're still developing and getting used to actually digesting stuff.
    These sorts of things tend to resolve themselves with a bit of time, and 6 weeks is often the worst time for crying and fussiness.

If you don't have one, get a sling or carrier of some kind - they are an absolute life saver for fussy babies. They are often happy as long as they're held and having a carrier allows you to do that while still having your hands free for other things. It's ok to hold them all the tiem if that's what they need - just make sure you also get soem break time. So, for eg, when your DH gets home he can step in and take over from you. And if you have anyone else around able to help out around the house, that's great too, allowing you to focus on your baby and your own rest.

All the best

i reckon the 6 week mark is a doozer. i remember it with DD1 well....and that was 3 years ago...lol.

sounds like it could be over-tired stuff too...which is really common and very easy for a young baby to become. with dd during the day we would pop her in the pram swaddled up and rock the pram or use a rug to 'jig' it until she settled...sometimes a bit of a pain, but did give the arms a break and helped me recover from the stress.

Our little one cried all the time when she was brand new too. She had reflux which was diagnosed at 7 weeks. Does he fuss when feeding and arch his back - on top of the crying I mean?

It's hard when nothing we do seems to help.
    Huge hugs coming your way.

Sue xxxx

He sometimes arches his back and fusses when I am trying to burp him actually. He wriggles so much all the time, I sometimes find it hard to even hold him still to give him a cuddle.

Does is really get better than this? Because right now it all seems so hard, and I cant imagine why people go back for more

I remember that as a hard age with Sam too.
    It would start at 5pm & I would put him in his sling & just jiggle around a lot & walk between the back door & front door.
    I even remember going for a walk with him at 9pm one night to try & settle him.
    I ended up going to the chemist because I was sure it was wind by the way he was arching & very fussy, they sold me 'Infant's Friend' drops & they worked a wonder!
    I still use them on him now at times when he just can't seem to settle.
    I promise it will get better

I noticed on your ticker that he's not supposed to be born yet, and I'm wondering if his prematurity might have something to do with it? Do you know if he had any tummy problems while he was in hospital? It could be any number of things that the others have said, but it could be something that you are eating that is upsetting him too. Do you have any caffeine, onions, tomatoes, garlic, orange juice, dairy, spicy food - anything like that? It does get better and I hope you turn the corner with him soon

Connie - it DOES get easier I promise Probably doesn't feel like it now though

My little man had similar 'stats' to George - he was 4 weeks early and weighed 2.6kg. At the 6 week mark we started to have real trouble with wind (as the other Mum's have suggested) - and it stayed that way until about 12 weeks (not that the next 6 weeks will be the same) but if its something similar there are LOTS of different things to try which will make a big difference.
    If he's wriggling about it could be a sore belly or wind, he might be wriggling to make himself more comfortable. There are lots of wind remedies available - lots of natural ones or medicinal, we tried all and found that infacol was a winner for us. Things like a nice warm relaxing bath and gentle massage can be a great way to settle too - and hopefully he will then stay asleep for a bit longer for you too. Also if you think it might be wind - the old bicycle leg movements usually work a treat too. I found the oddest things in my diet would give him grief with wind when I was breast feeding - I had cauliflower soup one day and my poor little man was in agony Not sure if he is Breast of Bottle - perhaps try a different formula if bottle fed? There are some that are supposedly more easily digestible.
    My little man had a pretty short sleep cycle early - 45 mins was the limit - can be very tiring as you don't get much of a break, but the best thing to do is to rest whenever he does if at all possible. Sometimes babies will sleep longer if Mum is laying with them - they you both will get a break! The other thing I found helped him too was a vibrating rocker - I think it helped move the wind out.

No guarantees any of this will work, but I found working through solutions helpful when I was a new Mum - helped me feel in control and that I was doing everything to make things easier for me (and bubs)

Hugs honey, hang in there, like I said, it does get easier

Connie I just wanted to give you a big internet hug and tell you that things absolutely will get better!

If hes arching his back then it sounds to me like he has some colic. The BEST thing i found for colic relief is Infacol. We went through this every day with DD (DS too but at the time we had DS we had never heard or been told about Infacol) and the first day i gave her Infacol she slept through the night. Has ever since! She was a completely different baby and always happy. It works by gathering all the bubbles in their tummy so when they burp the majority of the wind comes up at once. You can get it at the chemist/coles/woolies. Its in a Yellow box with blue writing. I also found giving extra burps inbetween feeds helped a little too.

Oh it definately gets much better hun xx

Thank you so much everyone... I had a tough day with him today. But tonight I caught up with some friends and was able to laugh and feel 'normal' again. All your support and advice is so very helpful and appreciated.

I have tried Infacol today, so thanks to those who suggested it. He definitely has a lot of wind... coming out of both ends, and he gets the hiccups all the time. I'm not sure if he feels worse when lying down flat, but putting him in his cradle is becoming a real battle. I have elevated it to try and help, but he's still not happy in there.

He's in the vibrating rocker now... but he's wriggling, so I cant see that lasting for long.

Its quite possible that he just doesnt know how to settle himself, because if we put him in there when he's asleep and he wakes up in there he goes nuts. If we put him in half awake, he loses it... I feel like he's too young to just leave him in there crying.

Connie, big hugs coming your way!!!! I remember when my DS was around the 6 weeks mark I wanted to give him back, to anyone who was interested!!!! Back to the hossy, to his grandma or just trying to sell him on ebay! lol. Seriously, the firts 6 weeks were sooooooo hard, but I also promisse you, it does get heaps better by the 12 week mark! My DS had shocking wind. He would arch his back and scream, and wriggle a lot when he had wind. He used to fart and burp like a trooper. I soon learned it was wind from talking to my friends with kiddies. I got onto infants friends for wind but that wasn't great, and then it was the life saving infacol. We still use it today, probably not necessary now......Oh, and my DS still won't self settle most of the time.........mosty mummy's fault as I got him used to being cuddled to sleep...oh the joys of parenthood! I'm glad you had a laugh and caught up with your friends, my friends were life savers when I was going mad in the beginning!! GL hun, and remember, it doesn't last forever!

B xx

Well last night was better... he slept from:
    9:30pm - 12:30am - Feed 12:45pm
    1:30am - 2:45am - Settle
    3:15am - 3:45am - Feed 4:15am
    5:30am - 7:45am - Feed 8:05am

Apart from that unsettled period he did really well. He is closer to deciphering day from night, but he seems to think night starts at 6pm and ends at 4am, so he is one sleep period away.

I did spend a lot longer last night burping him - and he had plenty of burps coming, so the infacol must be helping.

At what age did everyone try to teach self settling?

Connie, great to hear it went better last night! As for the self settling, been trying from about 12 weeks.....still trying! lol. Seriously, I am the worst offender, I am looking at a sleep school for my wee man, it is all my fault I got him used to being cuddled to sleep so now he hardly self settles. He has a few times, but again, I don't let him cry for too long. Like I said, I am way too soft!

Another tip for the burping.....when he was little, if I couldn't get the burp out (it did happen sometimes) I would lie DS along my arm on his belly, his head being supported my my hand, bum pointing to my elbow, massaging his back, and usually that got the burp out. I am a burp nazi, I have to get it out or else. I now usually start by sitting DS on my lap rubbing/patting his back, then I hold him upright across my shoulder and pat his bum gently. Usually he burps some more if it didn't all come out while I had him on my lap. I read somewhere that even the tiniest bit of gas can be really painful for them, hence the crying, wriggling and arching!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast