Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Weeks Old...

Nae nae - that's what I'm worried about! Haha
    Stage 2 is to get him to actually stay awake for some time during the day...

We had another good night... he woke at 2am, I left him for a little to see if he would self settle, he didnt sound like he would, so I got up patted him and said shhh for 10 seconds and it worked!

I cant believe I am starting to know the difference between the 'trying to settle' cry and 'I'm hungry' cry!!

So we had a few good nights, and since then we have had 2 shockers. The late before last he was waking up crying EVERY HOUR! I hardly got any sleep... last night he was up every couple of hours - thankfully DH saw how frustrated I was and he tried to take care of it.

I feel like we've gone backwards again.

Connie, I found out pretty quickly that babies can change over night!! What seemed to be working today might not tomorrow, but that's babies for you!! Unfortunately there is not much you can do but understand that it is only temporary and it does really get better as the times goes on. Like I've said, DS got heaps better around 8 weeks, then better again around 12 weeks and now at 6 months he is such a good boy (if only he could sleep longer during his day naps! lol). Hang in there hun, he could have a good few nights soon and then the bad ones will be forgotten again! How is his wind these days??

I finally believe that it will get better... or if anything, we are learning to deal with it better. Things are definitely better than week 1!

His wind is getting better... the infacol is helping. He doesnt arch his back and cry as much post-feed. The infacol took him from 1 poop a day to 4 a day. Then he went 2 days without a poop - which made him very uncomfortable, but he seems to be back on track now.

Does every baby wake crying for their feeds? He screams as if we have been starving him for months! I dont think he has every woken up and just lied calmly in his cradle.

I'm a very light sleeper, and I used to always wake at the very first sound he made back in those days, so I fed him with no probs. He always used to stirr a bit and then get vocal if I was taking my sweet time. A couple of times I didn't wake up when he first started to wake up for a feed, and he was screaming the house down.

Its a fine line, because sometimes he is stirring and isnt necessarily ready for a feed... it's all trial and error, this is what DH and I keep telling ourselves.

It is Connie, and remember we're doing everything we can to keep those little people happy! I remember in my baby buddy group, one of the girls there who already has a toddler kept telling me to keep my chin up as it DOES get better. I found it really hard to believe it back then, but now I look back and realise how true her words of wisdom were. Thanks 'b'!!!! Keep your chin up hun, even at 6 months I think my DS has grown so much since that stressful beginning......they really do grow so quickly!

hi connie, my DS always woke up screaming for a feed - he'd be crying before he even woke up it's only in the last couple of months that he doesn't wake up from every sleep crying - now sometimes he wakes up & just chats for a while. but overnight it's still always a cry.

yeah we also have a sleeping howler lol! it's like she is saying...'oi where'd that boob go?!'

one thing that we learnt along the way with DD1 was that bubbas shift it up alot and will have a few nights of doing crazy things then usually settle back into their 'normal' pattern for a week or so then shift it up temporarily again. my mantra during these times for DH and I is: persistency and consistency. that is, keep at what you would normally do (ie feed, cuddle, nappy change, feed sleep etc etc). just keep truckin' lol. babies change it up all the time, but as long as you and DH are their 'rock' and their place of consistent love and reassurance then it will fall into place sooner or later, i promise xx

i reckon what beata said about the stages is so true as well. 12 weeks might seem like a looong way a way but it comes around and you WILL notice a big improvement in terms of bubbas predictable pattern...well, that has been my experience anyway!

big hug to all of us with young babies at the moment...boy it comes with some *interesting* nights lol!

I keep telling DH "Short term pain, for long term gain!!"

Last night we started a Tizzie Hall routine... he slept from 2:30am - 7am. Fingers crossed we have some more nights like that!

Good Luck to all of us out there!

Yet another crap night last night, but I think it stemmed from being at someone elses house full of people when it was time for his feed and bedtime. He slept in the car, then we got him out of the car at 9pm. He stayed awake and cried from 9pm - 1:30am! Even the feed in between that time didnt calm him down.

And yet this morning, he fed, sat in the rocker for a bit, then I put him in his cradle wide awake. He lied in there looking around for 20 minutes and then went off to sleep. At night, the minute I put him in his cradle, he goes crazy!

This kid is a mystery to me.

Ha ha Connie, they ARE a mystery!!!!! Funny little buggers to work out! I often say to my partner, are you sure there is no manual???? lol. Sometimes it does my head in trying to work out what he wants. You know the time when ther are fed, with a clean nappy, rested and still whingeing?????? What the????

I know that when we're at someone else's house, DS gets very overstimulated and sometimes it's hard for him to calm down back at the ranch. I usually have to spend a lot more quiet time with him before he drifts off for the night. Just remember you are doing a fantastic job hun, no one else can do it better!

hi Connie, they are crazy little things arnt they, we are going through the same here at the moment and im just about to head off to the Dr, i only got two hrs sleep last night and be that on the sofa!

i hope things start to improve for you again soon, i was feeling like i was the only one.

you do sound very confident with your techniques and they have worked at times so give yourself a big clap, i will look forward to gearing more tips

we also had a shocker last night! i *think* she has a bit of a cold...ahhh the joys of having a toddler at home as well lol. so Marta was really unsettled ALLLLLLL night. thankfully at the 5am feed she settled enough to only need one bit of rocking around 7am then we slept until about 9am. but oh what a night. she was literally crying every few minutes. poor wee poppet. i am smashed today.

Loula, I'm glad I sound confident because I have no idea what I am doing! Haha

I guess it's just frustrating because if he is sleeping on one of us, he can sleep for hours without stiring, he even goes past his feeding times. So far tonight has been another shocker... It's getting so tough.

We also found out today he has a hernia and will need surgery next week.

Cassius, I hope your night is going better than ours. I am considering calling a sleeping school tomorrow.

Last night heonly slept 2hours at a time...

7 -9pm
    12 -2am
    4 - 6am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Hugs hun. Its heartbreaking when you think you have finally made progress!

we had a good night which i was not expecting. my oly trouble is that he falls asleep on me and on me only! still we got from 9.30pm to 4.30am (with a quick feed and bed at midnight) and so far he is asleep now, oops waking now.

i started a new herbal med for his wind last night and will continue with it today

better goooooooo..........

sorry to hear about the hernia, my nephew had that too and was an unsettled baby, i dont know if it was due to the hernia. Its a very common op these days but non the less still a worry for you, i hope he will be ok x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast