Thread: Alternative to wrapping

Default Alternative to wrapping

I still wrap Tori for all her sleeps because for some reason as soon as I lay her in her cot she starts waving her arms around and disturbs herself from her sleep. This hasnt been a probalem up untill now, but she has recently learnt to move ie. she puts her legs up in the air and throws them sideways and she can move around in a complete circle doing that (very cute to watch I might add). Anyway when I went in to get her for a feed last night her legs were at the other end of the bed (most confussing at 4am when you are half asleep) but her wrap was all bunched up around her head/ neck and I am worried about her smothering or strangling herself. So I am looking at an alternative way of wrapping her up so that we dont have this problem, any ideas?

Ali, not sure if you're still using the newborn wraps, but I had to go and buy some muslin as a larger wrap.

I do exactley the same thing, make a triangle first and wrap only her arms down. I am using flannel wraps at the moment, maybe I should get some muslin ones, at least if she manages to get that over her face she will be able to breath through it.

Muslin wraps will be better for summer too.
    I think bubba blue and living textiles make 120cm x 120cm ones, they're were great with Milo, as there is a lot more fabric to work with you can get it on tighter.

I think that Tegan's Lily used to have something that went around the matress and thne bubs was wrapped in it and because it was around the mattress it didn't move.

As our little bubba was still being wrapped after 12 months, this put it right in the middle of summer and also being a wriggle pot, and now much bigger, we found it quite useful to use one of her cot cotton bed sheets!! We layed it sideways and put her in the middle. We wrapped her arms tight and because there was still enough sheet at the bottom, we tucked that in at the end of her bed so we thought if she ever did do a houdini, she'd leave the sheet behind. We managed to do it snuggly enough however that I can't remember her getting out much!

I noticed the other day Toys R Us have a pre-made baby wrap. Its like a sleeping bag but holds their arms and legs in tight to prevent them from waking themselves. It's done up with velcro or press studs or something so they cant riggle around and have it come undone. Not sure what theyre called but they could be worth a try?

I just had a look on ebay and if you type in "Snug as a bug wrap" they come up.

Kell I've got one of those. It doesn't have a hood though and is made of cotton. It's SIDs approved but any good houdini can get out in a flash! Took Darcy about 3 minutes LOL.

Madeline, tried your technique though and it's FABULOUS! She even went to sleep uncovered yestereday....bows down to you LOL.

Debbie Lee Guest

Ali - sounds like you just need a larger wrap.
    I always found a single bed sheet fantastic in the warmer weather for wrapping Gab. Before that we used stretch-polar fleece blankets that worked a treat because they were impossible for her to bust out of.
    She was wrapped until she was 10 months old.

i've just gone back to wrapping Samuel, Ali - after not being wrapped for ages - and I use a single cot sheet currently so that I can wrap tight and tuck under the shoulder blade area as the lifting the feet releases anything below the waste (plus sheet - cooler for summer - although muslim would be even better again although I don't know whether bought ones come big enough it might be better, as others have suggested, to buy some by the metre).
    Will have to try the wrapping technique above and see if that prevents the odd escape I get. Cause I too get worried about the up around the neck/face thing on the occasions he escapes.

I only wrap during the day though and use a sleeping bag at night - the flayling arms don't seem to be as much of a disturbance after dark.LOL

Debbie Lee Guest

I found that the muslin wraps were too easy for Gab to bust out of... dunno why..

I had the same problem with Kaitlyn and I ended up sewing some of my own wraps. Hard to explain but the wrap had little pockets I would slot her arms into so she was snug and would not get her arms out ..plus she could not really wiggle our of it. Sounds like she was in a straight jacket but let me tell you she LOVED it . I think you can buy something that is similar in baby stores..I just had never seen it so I made my own haha....things we do !

Debbie Lee Guest

How clever, Cass!! You should make some and sell them on ebay!

Hehe ..I have been thinking about that Debbie. I am sure all us mums that loved wrapping would love it.

Geniebean Guest

We use a cot sheet to swaddle Ellie. We have a grobag but she won't sleep unless her arms are wrapped.

Geniebean Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Lee View Post
    How clever, Cass!! You should make some and sell them on ebay!
    I second that. Or if you did them in asian style cotton fabric - i'll sell them for you.

Fee Guest

I've just gone back to wrapping Cooper and use muslin as it's quite stretchy and I can do it tightly so he can't get out. Plus it's getting hot here and I think it's the coolest material?