Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I being naive?? (re what do you really need for a baby!)

Yup, agree with the other girls...sometimes the best stuff to stock up on before the baby are the disposable things like baby wipes, breast pads, nappies etc. That kind of stuff gets very expensive and it's handy to have a stock of them before hand, especially so you don't have to go ducking out to the chemist/shops in the middle of the night.

For us, the HAB was invaluable. Maddy has had lots of clingy stages where she will not sleep unless she's in my arms...it gave me the opportunity to do things like grocery shopping or just chores around the house with my hands free.

Oh, a sheepskin has been a big winner with us too. Summer or winter, Maddy just loves lying on it and it makes her pram, cot etc really comfy for her.

These kinds of threads are interesting because it makes you realize how different all of our children are. I love our change table, especially as Maddy can sit up on it now while I change her. With some of the 'explosive' nappies she did for the first couple of months (every 2nd nappy literally), I was so glad to have a place to specifically change her which was lined with cloth nappies! *LOL* As for a rocker...she HATED it. It was a waste of $50 for us but it's been great for my friend as I've leant it to her for her bub who is due to arrive any day.

A big winner for us however was the musical swing. She used to fall asleep in it at a few weeks old...sometimes it was the only place she'd nap other than the HAB or on the booby.

I'd suggest not getting a breast pump until you have established feeding & then you may not need one!! I knew I had to return to work so I grabbed one! But if you are going to be at home I'd wait & see..

I also used a std pillow for feeding..

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danni
    Have you thought about breast pads, breast pump and breastfeeding pillow?
    I bought a pump but have recently returned it to the shop. I found I didn't want to use it. I bought a whole heap of expressing equipment but just decided that I didn't want to express.

I guess you can always go out after bubs is born and buy this sort of stuff.

Ha, you sound like me - we've only bought a mattress, pram, cloth nappies and babybjorn active. Everything else has been given or was off freecycle.
    I got a Babyco beema jogger pram thing from ebay for $60 and then another as a surprise gift for a friend who was using ours until the birth ($80).......considering they retail for $400 or something, ebay is always worth considering! Just remember to check out the sellers rating!

*bump*

ooh hav you shopped for your cloth nappies yet?
    if you come over to the nappy forum we can discuss modern cloth nappies with you
    you know you can also use cloth wipes and cloth breastpads right?(or even cloth PP pads)lol
    definetly get a sling!! not a baby bjon type though
    a pouch or ring sling are great for newborns imo.

Yes - i agree with stocking up on wipes, nappies etc...especially when you see them on sale as you will not believe how many you'll use!!! (newborns go through about 6-8 nappies a day!). I'd take it easy on the creams, powders etc for bubs cause we still have stacks and Ella is 14 months - they do go a long way on their little bodies.

Antoher thing i have found invaluable is my 'Music for Dreaming' CD. I began listening to it when i was winding down before bubs arrived and she still goes off to sleep listening to it. She just associates sleep time with her music.

Debbie Lee Guest

I'll second that, Rae. The music for dreaming CD is great. We still use it for Gabby's day sleeps.

I stocked up on WAY too much stuff before Gab was even conceived... but I enjoyed doing it. I don't regret it at all. Everyone is different tho.
    It's sooo easy to get bamboozled by all the stuff out there tho!

Percy, I agree a sling is a good idea but maybe wait til your bub comes along then see if you can borrow one before you buy. My Flynn did not like the HAB or baby bjorn til he was about 3 mo, and I know of some kids who never like them. IMO, you generally won't know what stuff beyond the basics you need till bub comes along, because so much is personality dependent. I was CONVINCED we needed a vibrating platform to rock bub in the pram (cost $300) but luckily DH said no way. As it is we have a very settled bub (SO FAR ) so haven't needed settling/rocking/vibrating tools. Good luck!

NewmumLou Guest

I know what you mean so many things to buy ..... and when you actually go through the list after the baby is born you only use a few things and can really do without the gadgty things (even though i love them).
    I reccomend you buy
    1)baby monitor
    2) Play mat mobile (Joshua is still stimulated by his)
    3) I also use my play pen and rocker..... more the rocker though as we feed him from this.
    Hope it helps!

Id say thats the basics yeh.. but theres alot of other things we have that are handy..
    A bouncer. I find this really good for Jesse.. i put him in it while im hanging out the washing and we're having dinner when the lil munchin is awake, also the rocking helps settle him.
    A nappy bag if you havent got one.
    Bibs.. dont know if that comes under clothes?
    Bottles.. always good to have just incase breastfeeding doesnt work..
    Baby Wipes.. or you could use chux.
    We were told at the clinic just to use water when washing a newborn and the reason the hospitals use certain brands is because theyre given it and it also dries out their skin.. we have some Top to Toe wash, but only use it if Jesse's puked while asleep and its gone in his hair or something.

Oh yes - BIBS for sure. I didn't realise just how many i'd use. From birth Ella had reflux and was very vomity - then when she was 6 months and began solids i never seem to have enough!!!! We also find the baby monitor invaluable. We still use it and she's 14months.

Yes sorbelene(sp?) .. Jesse's skin was very dry when he was born and he ended up losing a layer of skin over his whole body (common in overdue babies, even though he was only 2 days over)... the sorb helped alot.

Jesse's a real puker so we use cloth nappies an his burping rag, but now hes starting to talk and babble, hes dribbling alot so the bibs come in handy.

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh yeah! The flat flannies and terries are great as spew rags! I didn't use them for nappies until Gab was well over 12 months but they certainly got used in the first 6 months for all those up-chucks... and she wasn't even a major chucky-baby!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12