Thread: Anyone else's 15 month old do this or is my son a freak?

Question Anyone else's 15 month old do this or is my son a freak?

Ok, so recently, DS has started pulling on his face - hard enough to leave marks - and it obviously hurts because he cries towards the end of it (I can't imagine it would feel great either). So we first thought maybe he had a bit of sinus pain, cos he's just getting over croup and a cold, and then we thought.. hmmm.. maybe he is getting his eye teeth.
    My IL's watched him last night whilst we were at a wedding, and my FIL said that he thought maybe DS was suffering a bit of anxiety and that is his way of coping. Hmm.. didn't sit well with me, and thought it was a bit strange that he would think it was that. And then he said, well it seems to be when DS gets in trouble, or is told "no" then he does it.
    So tonight, he was doing it again for me when I was telling him no... no... you can't have that.. stop doing that (normal stuff - like no, don't touch the knife, don't throw apples etc ) and he would do it and then cry.

And I'm like - hello lightbulb moment - he does it because he is trying to make US feel bad by hurting himself, so he gets his way and we feel sorry for him to let him do what he wants to!!! (Little bugger!)

So does anyone else have a little bugger like me, and how did you stop him from doing it? I'm soooo hoping its a phase....

sounds like when kids head but the ground during a tantrum or out of frustration!

yeah I've heard of them doing that - so wasn't surprised when DS started doing that - has been doing that for a few months - but thought the face pulling was something totally not normal.. haven't heard of that before!!!!

Mel DD does it aswell

My son does it as well, though he pulls his belly button (it is an outie). He thinks I can't see him do it.