Thread: Baby sign language - Boobie??

Default Baby sign language - Boobie??

Hi - we've started doing the Baby sign language thing with DD (who is 6 months old) and I'm just wondering what other BFing mums have used as a sign for "Boobie"? Do you just use the "milk" sign or do you have another to differentiate between that and milk in a cup?

Hi Marydean,
    I am not currently signing to W but in one of the book I've read, they use the same sign for breastfeeding, i.e. the milk sign.
    I also wonder how babies can differentiate that, but babies are such clever creatures arent they
    Perhaps you can use a different sign if you want to, such as tapping on your chest or other gestures similar to that?
    I am sure someone here can share their own experience.
    Cheers

For breastfeeding it is usually 2 taps to the opposite side of the chest (ie right hand pats upper left chest twice) Milk is the cow milking gesture. Or drink is the hand held in a "C" position like you are holding a cup and tilting it towards you.

DS currently signs finished and knows the sign for drink and more. They are such clever creatures to pick it up so quickly When he wants boobie though - signs aren't important to him. He just pulls the front of my shirt down and tries to help himself

Thanks very much for that, Michelle. Your sign makes more sense than using the 'milk' sign (which is what the only other person I know who taught their baby was using). We'll start that.

We've only just started so DD isn't signing anything yet, but she laughs every time I sign "more"! It's hilarious, apparently. Bet that's the first one she signs back!

Marydean,

What resources did you use to get into the signing? Do you have a link you could share to some information?

It would be much appreciated!

Hi Jackrose, I just bought a "Tinytalk" kit from ebay. I already learnt Australian sign language a few years ago so a lot of the signs are familiar to me. If you google "baby sign language" for Australian sies you will find plenty of information. I had some favorites on my other puter but it's in at the repair shop right now . There are also quite a few books available in australian libraries so worth checking your local public library. The main reason we're doing it was because DD1 was a very frustrated toddler, she had better receptive than expressive language (Ie understood a lot more than she could say because of a speech delay) but I didn't know about the baby signing then. Hope to avoid all that with DD2.

We do the two taps to the chest (which incidentally we just made up, what a coincidence!). I do the sign and he responds with either nothing (I don't want a boobie) or laughing and flapping or making desperate noises and flapping. My husband also uses it. Very handy!

My husband also uses it. Very handy!
    Your husband signs "I want boobie!"?! I bet THAT was the very first sign he learnt LOL

I kind of already know when Missy E wants boobie cos she starts breathing excitedly and tipping herself over sideways...very cute !