Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby's ear pierced?

Default Baby's ear pierced?

I know this is a controversial subject, I just want to know when to get my daughter's ears pierced. I think it is so cute, and the holes do grow back if she doesnt like it later. When is a good time to get it done? My friends all tell me the sooner the better!

Hi Sarajo, yep your right a very controversial subject. For each person that says now there are 5 that say later. I personally had my daughters ears pierced when she was 10 weeks old. And to be honest with you I am so glad that I did. I cried longer than she did. We have never had a days problem with them. She has never tried to put on them or anything else. I think that when you do get a babies ears done at an older age you are more prone to infection as they touch and pull them. Just my opinion of course

And yes again you are right they do look so cute and the holes willl close back up if you leave earrings out of them.

Good luck with your decision making.

Take care
    Trish

One of those issues that comes down to personal choice. I would never get my childs done until they were old enough to ask for them. Kinda the same thing with circumcision for me, I think it is purely cosmetic and inflicting unnessesary pain on them when their little bodies are beautiful and perfect the way they are.

Having said that, it is your right as a mother to do what you want to do.

I love the idea!

My mum got me and my sisters done at 6 weeks old by the doctor who used needles. We didnt even budge.

the older they are, the more tears

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I have to agree withn Min. I won't be getting any of my children's ears pierced until they are old enough to ask for them.

Colleen Guest

Im with Bec & Min.

They dont really serve a purpose other than to look cute (& thats personal opinion too) & have assocaited risks & hazards.

But each to their own

Personally I wouldn't do it until they asked but if you want get it done younger I don't see any reason why not. One of my friends got her daughters done at 6 weeks and she's never had a problem with them.

All three of my girls got theirs done when they asked to get them done around 3-4 years old...and were so thrilled at it. I honestly could not inflict that pain on an infant.

Jo

if you are going to get bub's ears pierced, then do not use somebody who uses a gun to do it, that just causes scar tissue and they will be left with the little lumps for ever even if the holes close up, use somebody who uses a needle to pierce.

Personally I will not be getting my daughter's ears pierced. My MIL's foster child has her ears pierced and I think it looks cheap <- PERSONAL OPINION ONLY!!!!!

I had Maddy's done at around 4 months of age & she has never had a problem with them at all & has so many pairs now...

I havent got around to doing it with Indah, just havent had a free weekend (too many birthday parties!)...
    I might go next weekend!!!

I think having maddy's done younf was best as she didnt touch them so there was no worry about dirty fingers etc... They are gorgeous IMHO...

I thought I'd just add: My 6 yr old niece has desperately wantyed them done for about 3 years & always says to her Mum that she wantsthem for her birthday, but when her birthday comes along she chickens out & says she is scared so doesnt get it done. She tells her Mum she is angry that her Mum didnt just do it when she was a baby & she didnt know... hee hee

angelfish Guest

I was going to say that they holes don't just close up, they leave a nasty little lump of scar tissue. But I had mine done with the "staple-gun"-type thing, and I notice that someone said it won't happen using a needle. So definitely go for the needle.

Another thing is if you wait until the child really wants her ears pierced, then you can use it as a bribe (hooray for graft and corruption ) or a gift later on. Also, it teaches them the principle that their body is their own and people don't do things to it without their consent. JMO.

I know you shouldn't be judgemental, but I too tend to think negative things when I see a baby with pierced ears. But if you like it, go ahead. If you're going to do it really young, ASAP seems to make sense, before she's old enough to be fiddling with them all the time.

Its totally a personal choice as to what you do with your kids ears. I personally think they look stunning on some children, and this might not sounds PC, but little darker babies like indian or chinese children, just looks gorgeous with little gold earrings.
    In saying that, I wont be letting my daughter get her ears pierced until she is 10. That way she will be looking after them, and it will be a treat for her then. I didn't get them done til I was older, and I wasn't allowed to get anything else pierced! My younger brother however has plenty pierced, and I dontlike the scars they leave behind.
    Different families have different values. I tend to be a bit more conservative since I was bought up that way

Not that I have girls rofl but I could never get my girl done (if I had one hehehe) I had mine done when I was 12 or 13 and something happened and the earring came loose and the blanket I had on my bed caught it (cause I sleep with my blankets around my head) and ripped the earring from my ear. I had blood going everywhere. Mum never had pierced ears herself and so it was my step dad who had to get it back in.

I have always had problems since with that hole with it smelling bad at times etc no matter how often it is washed with stuff, so it has put me off pierced ears for life. I never wear anything but sleepers now as well cause that hole plays up if there is anything different.

Fi I agree about the darker children.

Love

DH and I have agreed, Maggie will not get her ears done until she is older and is able to communicate that she wants it done. I think for one of her birthdays would be nice. I had mine done for my 10th and I was ready to look after them properly then.

In Bali baby girls ears are pierced almost immediately, it's like their custom where all babies have their heads shaved (except a 1-2cm fringe :shock: ) at their 6 month (7 months to us) Ceremony...
    We did not do this, but Mum & Dad in bali did a ceremony & gave hair to the gods from themselves for Indah's 6 month Ceremony!

(not entirely about piercing, but just another thing we do differently)

Kirsty77 Guest

IMHO I don't think its necessary on infants/babies. I could NEVER put Gemma thorugh it(I'd cry way to much!). Its true though some bubs suit it and others it just looks plain tacky. I had mine done when I was 5 because I asked for it and still have them peirced now and loved it. I never budged when they did them. I'll let Gemma get hers done when shes old enough to ask us.

I cant wait to get Chloes done, I've started looking for someone who will do them as alot of people dont like doing it to babies under 18mths..but I really cant wait..

I think they look really cute on babies, Chloe has alotof hair and Ican put it up into one ponytail at the back nowand just leave her fringe, people are stunned when i say shes only 1 (well tomorow she is) they think shes older coz of her hair hehe.. I think she'd lookreal cute with her ears done

mine were done when i was about 4.. coz i can remember it, they used the gun on me and ive had no problems

I'm another person who also has negative thoughts about babies with earrings. I believe they are all gorgeous naturally and that they are not dolls to be played with... just my opinion though. My 11 DD changes her mind about getting it done but as most of her friends don't have theirs peirced she's really not fussed. She has an amazing imagination and is also worried about accidents. I had mine done when I was 10. Really I could take or leave it as I don't like wearing jewellry much... I just wear sleepers all the time. Also I have worse negative thoughts when i see little boys with an earring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast