Thread: Baby's Eye Colour

Default Baby's Eye Colour

OK, this may sound like a trivial question, but when do babies eye colours change? My son has blue eyes, but I am hoping that they go brown (I would like one child that actually looks like me ie brown hair & brown eyes).

TBH i'm not really sure but i thought it was about 6-8 weeks but as i said i could be very wrong. Both my girls where born with steely dark blue eyes and they have gotten lighter but stayed blue. I am interested to see what responses you get. It would be nice to have your children resemble you. My DD1 looks just like my twin (we are not identical) and DD2 is a spitting image of DH neither look like me at all. If i am out with my sister and DH no one believes i am the mother

I have all brown eyed kids and they started that inky black colour. I have one son who started with blue eyes, not the inky newborn but they were distinctly blue when he was born and then got more intense blue.

Lol, I want my son's eyes to turn brown too! 6-8 weeks sounds right to me...don't think they'll change though! I'm the opposite, I want one of our kids to have dh's brown eyes!

Well, if 6-8 weeks is when it happens, then it looks like I've got another blue eyed child!

Not necessarily!!! Isabelle had darkish blue eyes when born and they have been slowly changing, both DH and I have brown eyes, well mine are hazel but still - no blue! We just commented the other day that her eyes are now more greyish looking with hazel, brown flecks in them so it may take a while for them to change! I posted a similar thread when she was born because we were surprised to have a baby with blue eyes! and some people say 6-8 weeks and others said at around one year and others said they changed over the course of a few years so you never know! In our case I think her eyes will be like her Pa's, who has grey-hazel eyes.

I have read that it takes up to a year. Our DD has blue eyes and DH and I both have hazel so we are waiting for them to change!

Oh yeah, it can be months before they change colour. Three of mine were born with dark brown eyes, but one of my DD's was born with blue eyes and they didn't change colour until she was 9mths old to a light hazel - so not as dark as the other kids.

Ist son.. Born blue, stayed blue
    daughter.. born blue, turned green around 3 months
    2nd son... born dark brown... stayed dark brown
    3rd son... born bright blue... turned hazel about 7 months!!
    4th son .. born blueish.... now a beautiful bright blue!!

Good luck, they could still change... but you'll love them anyway, just wait till he gives you a "black" look!!

Babies eye colours can keep changing through to 18 months - 2 years. My friends son had blue eyes and at 18 months they started to go grey with hazel flecks and a re still changing.

Calebs eyes stayed a dark slate blue till he was about 12 months and then they started getting brown flecks. Now they are a deep chocolate brown like mine There is still hope!