Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blankies

Talking Blankies

at what age did your kids favour a toy or blankie? i really want sophie to have an attachment to something!!

Ummm, I'm trying to think here - I think I introduced my DD's blankie when she was about 12 weeks, I'd put it down my shirt and then put it in her bassinet with her. By about ummmm....I guess at 5 or 6 months? she knew what it was and associated it with sleep time. Now she won't go to bed without it and she also has it when she's upset. She loves her blankie!

Aidyns blankie is a polar fleece wrap, and he used to be wrapped in it when he was an infant, and tucked in under it when he was in his bouncer when older. At about 8 months old I think I chopped it into quarters, so there were 4 small pieces to alternate (as they'd get dirty quickly) and I let him take a piece to bed with him. He already had an attachment to it because it had been with him since he was a newborn. He still has it now (and is still attached to it), and he's nearly 3

Cath78 Guest

I've only noticed Chloe's attachment in the last few months - its to her muslin/cotton wraps that i wrap her in to go to bed. I started taking it away a few months ago when she was asleep as she gets out of it pretty much straight away but its part of our bed routine. - she was really unsettled for a few nights. One of these nights I grabbed the wrap as it was a little cooler and she grabbed it from me and snuggled up to it! Stupid me! Will cut it up soon so its not as dangerous to have in bed. They are just hand made with material from Lincraft/Spotlight.

Just remember it would have to be something you can replace easily in case you loose it!

thanks guys, sophie is attached to her thumb!! has been since 10 weeks, but now mainly when she;s tired or to self settle.
    Jelvie after reading about your blankie sucker i'm having second thoughts about wanting her to have one!!! i feel stopping the thumb sucking will be hard enough without the problems of a blankie!!! how old is your third?

Aww jelvie that is so cute. Stinky I mean. Joel was myonly one that had an attachement thing. It was either the satin on his blanket on his bed, which was easy if he slept elsewhere, we'd just give him a satin pillowslip, nighty, anything. LOL . Then he also had this yellow bear, he wasn't a bear as such, just a printed fabric thing that looked like a bear and was stuffed like a pilllow. Luckily I found another so he had 2 of them. Good for rotation.

I agree though it is a PITA if you forget it when you go out. Just like Tehya and her damn dummy, that I STILL can't get rid of.

you crack me up jelvie!!! miss stinky!!

a friend of mine's little boy has a terry nappy for a blankie but he is quite happy with any towel and has been known to take handtowels off the clothes horse to cart around!!!

i have to admit been a dental nurse myself i was horrified at sophie sucking her thumb, but well you cnat stop a 10 week old hey!! and she self settles wonderfully so i cant complain just yet!!!

Well, Jesse kinda has both. We gave him a soft puppy "Bomber" which he cuddles in bed at night but to fall asleep anywhere at any other time (unless in the car or at the shops) he needs a blankie (i just use craddle flannelette sheets). The blankie thing started i think around 3-4 months old, or by the time he was able to grasp things.. we've always just put Bomber in his cot and he started cuddling it about the same time.

Zander loves his Ted. We got him a little blue teddy that says "My First Christmas" when he was 9 months old & he still adores him. He's not so bad that he *has* to sleep with him every night though, he was for a while but now in his big bed he's not so fussed for some reason.

I have a thumb sucking blankie addict here too LOL. I started using this polar fleece cot blanket with Paige as it just the right weight to use when she slept during the day and she has become somewhat fixated with it. She will go to sleep sucking her thumb and holding the blanket to her nose with the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvie View Post
    She isn't happy with someone elses blanket. She'll scream blue murder if she sees it on the washing line (stands under it, not able to reach it and hollers so the whole neighbourhood can hear her.
    This is so like Paige - I had to time it when I washed it so she wasn't going to sleep or anything or she would get really upset. But she is at the age now where she can go to sleep without it if she has to and she doesn't cry when it is in the wash, but she will still stand at the line waiting for it to dry LOL.

I swear I am going to have to sew it into her wedding dress LMAO

a trick is to buy two or three of the item you want your bubba to attach to, that way if you loose one, you have more, you can keep one in the car just incase you leave it at home, and you can rotate them to wash em.

Paris has baby bear, Seth hasn't really become attached to anything, he only recently gave up his biggest attachment - ME! LOL! I like kids to have something, it makes it easier when they need to go somewhere without me as Paris can feel safe anywhere so long as baby bear is with her. Paris got baby bear for her first birthday, and I tried to introduce something else as a comfort toy but she took to baby bear and it couldn't be stopped

*hugs*
    Cailin

Alexa snuggles up to her muslin wrap at night & still has her dummy at night too...

She soesnt have her muslin wrap for day sleeps but still has the dummy for sleeps...

Both stay in the cot when she gets up....

Matilda has a cow wrap, or a muslin wrap with a cow print on it. I bought another one recently because the first one was sooo disgusting and we prompty lost the old one, so back to one. Jelvie, Matilda will scream until her wrap dries.... it is so stinky & disgusting I have to throw it in the wash early in the morning & hope it dries by nap time.

Jovie, well I went & made 4 muslin wraps and 2 are identical so I try to use those at sleep times for her to hold onto. She loves holding them in her hands when she is settling, so looks like I have another one who likes her wraps.

my son has had a buzz lightyear doll since he was 11 months. He has slept with it every night since then. He is now 4 and goes to school next year and I am wondering if other boys his age are still sleeping with their comfort item? and if I should be encourage him to try and sleep without it.

I don't think it really matters to be honest. Paris is at school and I know there are other kids (boys as well) who still have comfort items.

I still have to have a feather pillow in bed with me to lean into if I need to And I have a gf that has a piece of silk that she used to twiddle in her fingers as she slept. Some people read to sleep, watch tv till they fall asleep or even have that little night cap.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Fee Guest

AJP, I kinda want Cooper to have an attachment to something too! Even though I know it would be better without something like that.

But I like the idea of a blankie and I think it would make going to sleep easier if he was in his portacot at another house.

I've given him blankies made from old bunny rugs (my mum cut one up and sewed satin edges on) and even bought a new blankie toy (with the puppy head and then flowing material)... but he's not that interested! I sometimes used to give him my PJ top but I liked the idea of a proper blankie toy.

Oh well ... LOL.

Tanya, that's sooo cute that lucas sucks rabbi nose!!!!!

Fee spot on!! we have the same reasons for wanting the attachment thing!! sophie is always destracted when going to sleep at others houses and i thought a blankie may keep her thinking she was t home!! but i guess her attachment may just stay as her thumb!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast