Thread: breaking 45 min barrier

Default breaking 45 min barrier

We are really starting to struggle with day sleeps. No matter how tired she is or how long since her last nap, I cant get Tori to break the 45 min sleep barrier in the day. I have tried going down there and waiting for her to stir and popping her dummy back in but that doesnt seem to work. Some days if I get to her quickly enough i can get her back to sleep but more often than not I cant- and it isnt because she is not tired because she wakes up yawning and rubbing her eyes and shes signs that she is in need of more sleep.
    I am wondering if I am making trouble for myself because more often than not I rock her to sleep, if I put her in her cot awake she thinks it is play time. We have started putting her down when she is sleepy and then doing something in the room (like folding washing) or just sitting by her cot untill she is almost asleep then leaving- but she still doesnt break through 45 min naps!
    So has anyone got any ideas how we can break through this barrier and get her to sleep longer in the day?

Hi Ali,

Can I ask 2 questions please?

How is she feeding, and how frequently?

and

Do you use music whilst she is sleeping?

Alana

SHe doestn really have a set feeding routine, but usually feeds anywhere between 2.5-3.5 hours, she is quick at her feeding, but seems to get enough!
    As for music we used it when we first bought her home from hospital but havent used it in a while. Its funny I said to my husband not an hour ago, that it might be worth moving the CD player but up into her room.

Nina's not quite the same age yet, but I've recently started playing music in her room and puts her to sleep within minutes. We used to struggle to get her to go to sleep in her cot, now the music seems to be working.

Jenna didn't start long day time sleeps until she was 6-7-8m old. I used to pull my hair out too!
    I tried all sorts of things, but usually the thing that worked was putting her down before she got too tired, and if she did wake up, get her up until thos signs started again, and then put her straight back down again.
    Sometimes it worked.

I do believe its just a developmental thing, and plain bad luck. They will eventually get to the longer naps.

we are in the same boat, Charlotte will only sleep for about 45-to an hour very rarley she will sleep for 2 hours, when she wakes up after her short sleep she is happy talking to her self , you could try to wrap her so she can not get her arms out.

I swear by a CD on repeat.......we use Peacebaby for Olivia and Charlie and Lexie and it is 47 mins long and has the 60 beats per minute thing (like a heartbeat or something?) and it seems to "cure them" of the 40 minute wake up.

They still go through 40 minute sleep cycles, but I am sure their subconsious hears the tinkle tinkle of the CD and they drift off again happily with no crying.......

Hi Ali,

thanks for answering my queries.

could I make some suggestions - based on my 3 children.

1. Try music.....go and get some Bach - the Brandenburg concertos are a good start if you are not a classical music buff.....play it a low levels in the room. Baroque music is very good for regulating the brain's beta waves.....which allows for mediation/relaxation. Make sure that the music is on repeat - so that a base-line of sound is maintained. (I am a music teacher/music therapist - so contact me on msn if you would like more information/suggestions)

2. I had a 'belly pillow' when I was pregnant will all 3 of my babies (different pillow each time) - and the babies then slept with that pillow. Baby number 3 takes his pillow everywhere, and still very much needs it at sleep times. I know that SIDS & KIDS do not recommend the use of pillows - but I have always used them.....a replacement that might help is something smelly of yours - a night gown or sheet.....something that smells like you - tuck in like a sheet.....be wary of what is safe for baby though.

These are a couple of things that worked like a gem for me......good luck & feel free to contact me via msn if you want to chat further.

xx

Hi Ali,

Josiah has 40min sleeps, and he's up on the dot at 40mins no matter what. I was starting to stress about it a bit, but then I remembered Janae used to do the same thing until she was about 7months (when she became more active) and then they became 1 1/2 hour sleeps, so I'm just perservering with it for now.

rocking Tori to sleep - I do the same because he tends to think cot is playtime too, no idea why. I do try and put Josiah down just before he's asleep (eyes closing, but not snoring yet!) I'm not quite sure what to do to get him out of this habit, but I do know I don't want to end up sitting by his cot until he's asleep until he's 2 1/2 like I did with Janae.

Not much help I know, but just thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Bel

Fee Guest

Cooper was a good day sleeper as a newborn and then one day it all went out the window. He would only sleep for about 45-60 minutes and would be awake way before his next feed was due.

So I've started wrapping again (really tight so he can't get his arms out) and now his day sleeps are up to 2.5 hours!!! It's amazing.

I feed him, have play time and then when I see his tired signs I wrap him and pop him in his cot awake, and turn on his mobile. He might fight against the wrap for a little bit but he doesn't grizzle or anything. Then he's fast asleep!

So wrapping has helped me.

Oh yeah --- almost forgot --- another thing I have tried is shutting the blinds (I started doing this around the same time as the wrapping so am not sure if both is helping him IYKWIM).