Thread: brushing teeth!

DoubleK Guest

Default brushing teeth!

For the past month or so, Krystal WILL NOT let me brush her teeth, at all!

usually, i give her her toothbrush, and while im brushing mine, she has a chew adn tries to copy me, i say 'good girl, can mummy have a go' and she would let me very quickly brush her teeth.

now, i manage to get one or two bruches of the front teeth, then she closes her mouth and wont let me back in with the brush!

im getting worried that her teeth arent getting cleaned properly.. any other ideas??

Convince her that you need to give them a "sparkle" so they shine like a princess' teeth.

Worked wonders with my DD

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

My 20mth old daughter wouldn't understand what the word sparkle or princess mean't ... So, that wouldn't wrk 4 me !!

.... I totally hear U Krystal Ball as I've gone thru the same thing up until a few days ago when I realised a itty bitty of Colgate "My First" toothpaste on her toothbrush helps. I think she must like the taste or something ?? On the label it mentions if child is less than 6yrs old, must be adult supervised & only a pea-sized amount.

She lets me brush her top front teeth a bit beta now & no probs wt the rest of her teeth. Tho I do notice wen a new tooth is poppin thru she gets a touch sensitive.

Also I sing a little song everytime we brush her teeth ("brush our teeth ... we brush our teeth ... brush our teeth"). It's true what they say U have 2 make it a bit of FUN when they are to brush their teeth OR they wrk it out it mite be a chore and simply won't b intereted.

TONS OF LUCK LET US KNO HOW U GO

I brush my teeth at the same time and say ok lets open and brush here just like we brush our hair.. and then we scrub and clean and do ahhs and ees and eventually we get all the teeth clean..

Ooh Rach, sooo glad I'm not the only one....and at 6.30am when I'm running late for work and the Dragon won't play the game...it's really hard to be 'fun'. i do night and morning and try top in the morning and bottom at night or vice versa. They say it takes 24 hours for plaque to build up a good film on your teeth, so I'm hoping I've got my bases covered lol. She drinks lots of water too so i'm hoping that helps to swirl the nasties away.

DS is over 2 yrs old and we're still having problems. Sometimes it works to do it in front of a mirror, and sometimes it works if I get him to copy what face I'm making (aaah or teeth together) but other times nothing I do will get him to let me get the brush in there. We have the Oral B toddler toothpaste which is bubble-gum flavoured and that does help (you only need the tiniest bit).

Must be a born in May '06 thing lol

Em used to let me in there but lately I have no luck. He is always willing to have a go himself at least which is something. I hate it when he smiles though and I think gee his teeth need brushing!!!! Makes me feel terrible.

We normally go once a day so perhaps switching to twice a day and some singing might help lol

DoubleK Guest

i might try doing a brush after lunch as well.. just to see if she lets me!

good idea about the mirror, i might get one of those ones you can stick to the wall.. put it at her height.

ill see how we go!!

We do DD in the mirror after her bath/ shower every night-she loves to look at herself while doing it, we also make it funny by stealing kisses etc to make her laugh. I also dip the toothbrush into a tiny bit of kids toothpaste, and I have a special cup in the bathroom that I let her drink out of when we are finished so she can rinse her mouth out.

i am having the exact same trouble with Archie! I am lucky if he lets me brush them for 10 seconds, and i feel really scared that his teeth are going to rot. He only drinks water so i guess thats a good thing. I took him to the supermarket today and bought a new toothbrusha nd some "my First" colgate toothpaste, i figure it wont hurt to put the timniest bit of toothpaste on there just to give him a tste an keep it interesting, i will teach him to rinse his mouth out afterwards. I shall see if my plan works tonight....

See what did I say.... its a May '06 thing haha

DoubleK Guest

lol it must be!!

no luck today... ill kepp trying!

If you only get a few seconds it's best to go for the back ones if you can because they have to last longer in the mouth and also have more nooks and crannies to get food stuck in.
    TBH I think it's pretty hard to brush little people's teeth so I'm just trying to establish the habit in the hopes of perfecting technique later.
    Apples do a pretty job of cleaning the surfaces and massaging the gums and cheese is quite good for neutralising plaque acid (full of calcium too) so if you can get them to eat them it's good for their teeth.
    Yasin won't let me touch his teeth so I'm really grateful that he gets a second set one day.

DoubleK Guest

oh Chloe.. way to make me feel a bit better about the situation!!

krystal loves cheese! and ill keep offering apples! (she asks for apple, but wont eat it.. little bugger!)

Oh yeah, DD#1 went through that to the point she'd play games and only let Daddy brush her teeth! Not very helpful if he was at work though

Have you tried getting Krystal to brush your teeth first before even suggesting brushing hers? Your turn, my turn etc? (Hint: put your tongue in the way though as you might end up swallowing your brush! )

Good luck! xx

Can you brush them first & let her have a go after you? "Mummy will start you off, then you can finish" or something like that??