Thread: Which Burping Method Works Best?

Default Which Burping Method Works Best?

My little one - Claudia is only two weeks old, but I think I"m falling into the same trap as I did with my first born - Jessica with the burping. I have read places that breast-fed babies don't need to be burped as often as bottle fed babies but I"m finding that because she feeds to sleep on the majority of times, I'm not getting an opportunity to burp her.

In the beginning, she was a right little burper & burped everytime, but now I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get her wind up & I KNOW she has trapped wind because of the legs being drawn up to her tummy & her waking up crying when placed on her back - she prefers to sleep on her side & has done since her first night. I'm also finding, while she slept in her hammock beautifully for the first couple of days (when she was burping), she doesn't really like it now & wakes up after an hour needing me to pick her up because she has an upset tummy.

I'm just wondering what is the BEST way you have found to burp your babies, even when they are asleep? I'm finding now that she pops off all the time rather than burping but she's waking up grizzling & I pick her up, she pops off quite a few times (rather loudly too), & then goes back to sleep?

Other than that, she's just beautiful!

I'm also wondering if she's windy because I have a HUGE let-down & she actually just hangs on to my bb for the ride for the first 5 or so minutes as milk literally gushes down her throat......

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want her turning into my first born who suffered terribly from colic.

Love Jayne xox

PS _ I should mention that I try & burp her over my shoulder, sitting up on my lap, draped across my arm, but it just doesn't come up?????

With my DD I used to sit her on my knee support her chin and rub her back. With the feeding to sleep part when I found she was nodding off I would quickly burp her and then put her back on for a few mins to let her fall asleep again. And because by that time she was more comfort sucking she didn't need another burp once she fell asleep again.

I do the same as shellbell.
    I've also used the infacol drops with DS as well.

Jayne, I would try just sort of sitting her up alittle and rubbing her on the back. Generally just being sat up is enough to get the burps out. Try not to get too lazy with the burping or she will end up with the tummy aches as you are finding out.

I would be hesitant to use anything like Infacol for Claudia. Try to just take that extra 5 or 10 minutes with her, it will be worth it

my MIL is a midwife and showed me a great technique- with her sitting on your lap, your hand supportinmg her ncek, instead of patting her back, gently with the palm of your hand press onto her sternum, and gently rock her back and forth side to side, she says it like a spirit level with the air bubble needing to find the middle to make it's way out, you'll feel it coming up!! hope this helps

Hi Jayne,
    Gee that could have been me wrting your post! I have am having the same prob with Sari and my bb too.
    AJP a friend showed me that same method you mentioned and I have been using it and it works sometimes but it also has made her bring up some milk too on occasion coz she has such a full tummy.
    Nets x

I think over the shoulder is best as your boobies can push on the tum abit and help.

You need to burp BF and Bottle the same. I was told that they all need a good burping.

Good luck and hope all is well!!

I found that Infacol worked best for Riley... We don't use it any more but he's better at burping on his own these days. He does have bad reflux though and is on Losec for that... I didn't want to have him on any 'medications' but after hearing & seeing the pain he was in and the difference it makes, I changed my mind quickly...

Oh yeah, and the best way we can burp Riley seems to be over the shoulder...it works heaps better than any other way for him.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by SSmiles; March 12th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.

defanitly over the shoulder!!! my bub had reflux too and it was good to keep her upright. also thats how we put her to sleep, so if she was sleepy after a feed, put her over the shoulder to rock her to sleep while patting back to get burp out at same time. she would normally wake up momentarily while burp came out but went straight back to sleep.

I used to put kaitlyn over the shoulder and rub her back upwards - this helped bring the air up and out!.

NewmumLou Guest

Maybe try placing her belly across your knees swaying her back and fourth giving her back a light tap! This may work! If not gripe water is what i always used for JOshua!