Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Daddy By His Name

Default Calling Daddy By His Name

For at least the last 8 months or so when I yelled out to Mark that dinner was ready Matthew would also yell out 'Mark", I thought it was quite cute but now in the last 3 weeks or so he has been calling Daddy 'Mark" more often, he`ll even say Daddy and Mark in the one sentence when talking to Mark.

I`m thinking it is just a phase something that he has realised that Daddy will answer to two names but Mark is getting quite annoyed by it.

What would you do in this situation?

I usually either totally ignore the fact that Matthew has said Mark and come back with a reply about Daddy.

Mark turns around and tells Matthew "I`m not Mark to you, I`m Daddy", this doesn`t really sit right with me as I can see Matthew gets a bit confused.

Yasin called me Cooee for a while, I thought it was kind of cute so I didn't do anything about it and he grew out of it.

You should call Mark daddy too, he'll catch on quick. Maybe if Mark will only answer to daddy as well?

The other thing to watch for is that the little devil might notice how it annoys Mark, and keep it up - just for fun!

We had this issue for a while last year, so now we are mummy & daddy when Zander is around. I call out "daddy" when I want Aaron for anything now, it's hard to switch back when Zander's asleep though LOL!

Yep I agree, start calling Mark, Daddy too. I know you will feel silly but it will work. Eventually. And yes it does sound cute the first few times they do it.

We had this issue for a while last year, so now we are mummy & daddy when Zander is around. I call out "daddy" when I want Aaron for anything now, it's hard to switch back when Zander's asleep though LOL!
    My Nan and Pop call each other Mum and Dad all the time. Even when it's just them, lol.

We don't have this prob, not as yet but I already call DH Daddy around Charlie.

We just spent a week away with another couple & their DD is 2 in Feb, she would wake up in the morning, stand up in her cot & say "Scott, scott"......i will admitt it was kind of cute.

SaraJane, my nan and pop used to do the same thing. It's very sweet isn't it.

I call DH daddy but Matilda still calls him Pete sometimes... BUT last night on the Simpsons, Bart kept calling his dad Homer and Matilda thought it was hilarious so I can only wonder where it came from . She got such a laugh out of everyone the first time she did it that she started doing it all the time & only now is starting to call him Dad instead.

I should have mentioned I call Mark Daddy most of the time, to the point where Mark has got confused a few times wondering if I`m taking about him or my own Dad LOL

I have found when it`s tea time, I yell out Mark as he often doesn`t here me say Love, I then tell Matthew to tell Daddy it`s tea he then gets Mark LOL

I`m waiting for the day Matthew calls Mark love, he obviously hasn`t caught onto this yet, oh that reminds me that Matthew used to call me dear, I never did anything about it so it stopped

I know a couple in their 60`s who refer to each other as mum and dad, I can`t ever recall them calling each other by their own names.

I know it will all pass but Mark is just getting a tad annoyed by it. At least Adrian hasn`t started it yet, he`s still happy calling Mark Daddy

Dee, tell Mark to get over it

Noah and Tehya have both gone through a stage of calling Mark by his name too. They still do it occassionally, more for a reaction than anything else though.

Kimberley's done this a few times as well. I find it funny as she never uses my name but then again I don't think DH does as well.

DH and I are Mummy and Daddy, not our own names, around DS. A habit that will stop when he is at school - mostly because PiL call each other Mother and Father still and no, I'm not having that! I wouldn't mind DS calling us by our names TBH, so long as it was done respectfully. But as other people are Aunty/Uncle/Mr/Mrs/Miss [first name] it may sound a bit odd.

I wil say it annoys me when my mother calls my father by his name in conversation with me, but my mother's brother and uncle have the same name so I have to ask to which one she is referring! But that's the only reason I still refer to him as Dad, just to ease confusion. And now he's "the Grandad" not Dad anyway.

During many times a day Eliza will say Daddys name is Nick and mummy is nbecca, she only yells out Nick when I am down one end of the house and need something and the feral comes out of me and I yell NICK. Eliza says nooo not Nick Daddy, but then she can turn around and say nnooo not Daddy Nick. I hate that now Nick calls me mummy...its a tad freaky and when he refers to himself as daddy and there is just me and him around . I think it is a phase it will pass
    Bec

Ellibam Guest

haha i get nookies or lissy......
    and ben gets ben'd
    we think its funny! makon usually only calls us those when ben and i are talking to each other! the rest of the time its mum and dad!
    we dont ever correct him because they are our names.... and we call him other names apart from makon to.

I have that problem with Kat atm. I call out to John in the shops or whatever and she now calls him john. She calls me Ke-ie and if one of us slips and says "thanks honey" or something similar she'll start using honey instead. So cute, but also soooo not what you want your child calling you or ur partner! hehehe
    He's called me sexy so she did, he's said I'm grumpy so Kat says "grumpy mummy" and that upsedts me right now cause my hormones are all over the place hehe.
    I think it's just a stage. She tells me to shut up because john says that to her when he gets really upset. I try to tell him not to, she's a parrot right now. All we can do is try to model the right behaviour and language and hope they catch on. I tell her when she says something in-appropriate, but being a toddler, she does it more because of this I guess. Oh well, we can only try and continue to love them hey?!

Smile mummy's cop it too

have the opposite problem daddy is definately 'daddy" but cooking tea the other night my 16mth old daughter stood at the safety gate and called out 'aaa-wwee, aaa-wwee, aaa-wwee" I seem to be getting 'mummy' less frequenty hope it is just a phase (but it still sounded cute)
    Allie xxx

LOL!! Aren't they all just so adorably cute?!?!

We too have a parrot on our hands But the funny thing is she has heard me answer the phone and I always say, "Hello, ****** speaking" so now DD runs around with her toy mobile saying "Hello, ****** speaking" as well! I actually don't think she has any real concept of what she is saying. She will also copy DH & I when we talk to each other

I must admit though that I am not a real fan of calling each other 'mummy' and 'daddy' when we are addressing each other if DD is around. (Obviously we will use mummy and daddy when talking to DD though) I think it is possible that we can teach her as I think it's just a phase that alot of little ones go through.

So we're just not making a huge deal of it.................just making sure our huge grins are somewhat stifled and hidden so as not to encourage our little rascal as she'll work out she gets a giggle out of us and so increase her cheekiness, little rabbit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast