Thread: can't settle after the 4am feed

Question can't settle after the 4am feed

Hi all,
    I guess the title pretty much explains itself, but for the last 5 nights or so my 5 week old has been unable to settle after the 4am feed. He basically grumbles and grunts and fusses for ages (like at least an hour), and nothing I do seems to help.
    I don't know what to do. The other night feeds are fine, but this is driving me nuts.
    Does anyone have any ideas? i was thinking maybe some infant's friend might help?
    Your thoughts would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Lara

oh I know what you are going through.. My little one did this and that was what time my day started..

This morning she wouldn't settle after her 3am feed.. we got back to bed at 4:45.. Olivia was grunting and carrying on as wel but she was just awake and nothing I could do was going to change that..

The only other suggesstion I have is to get up have a drink and let her have some awake time for about half an hour then try again....

My little man did this at about the same age for a few weeks but for us he would settle after his feed but wake at 5am and the grunting would start!

We did use infants friend and it seemed to help a bit but I think it was just a phase and he soon stopped doing it.

Things change so quickly from week to week with they are this little so I wouldn't be overly concerned yet.

I'm not sure what to suggest though I do like aussienic's idea - may as well get up and play or whatever and then go back for better sleep later. My health nurse did say that they are on 24hr sleep cycles so uit's hard at that age for them to know the difference between night and day. Hope it works out. Oh and just so you know - it can still happen later on! My DD wakes around 4 or 5 most nights and the last few she has been very hard to settle. So into the spare room we go where I watch a DVD and let her play next to me - not exactly sleep but it is relaxing at 4am!

My DS takes about an hour to sleep after his 4am feed too. He doesn't really cry though - just makes little grunting noises. So I just put him in the bassinette next to my side of the bed & rock it when the grunting starts. That's usually enough to keep him calm & eventually he falls asleep. (Although it takes an hour, I figure at least I'm still lying in bed & just hanging my arm out to rock the bassinette!!).

Thanks guys
    You know, I think it would bother me less if I didn't have a 2 year old to get up for in the morning?
    When Bethany was this little I just saw it as part of my new job description, if that makes sense.
    Last night I have him IF before I put him down at 10:00, and he was fine for the rest of the night, went back to sleep every time without fuss.
    Good to know there's an option if it starts again
    Take care
    Lara

You know, I think it would bother me less if I didn't have a 2 year old to get up for in the morning?
    I totally know what you mean. It's a whole new ball game when you have more than one. You can't just devote all your time to the baby this time.

Hang in there, it does get easier as they get a bit older.

Hi,

Is your baby formula fed? My DS used to grunt all night and I changed his formula to nan 1ha gold and he slept much more peacefully. However, he still wakes up at 5am now and doesn't go back down for 2 hours, although no grunting, that's just his routine. He's 7 months old.

Hi MumofLewis,
    No he's completely breastfed.