Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carseat Vs Car Capsules!

NewmumLou Guest

Default Carseat Vs Car Capsules!

Hi everyone, just a quick question.... What do you prefer car seats or car capsules? I personally have a car seat and i hate it! Next time round i think i might go for the car capsule as everytime Josh falls asleep in the car in his wrap i have to take him out of his wrap (which wakes him) and place the seat belts around him. Or if Josh falls asleep in the car taking him out of the car is a pain!
    I am interested to find out everyone elses experiences.....or is it just me?

Definitely a capsule at first for all the reasons you've already stated

Although I see the benefit of having a capsule, I find it doesn't work in reality for me as I find it quite difficult to get the bloody thing out of the car!

I have a convertible seat & I would go for a capsule next time around too, for the same reasons as you Louise.

I have a carseat, but wish now that I had gone for a capsule for while she was still little for the same reasons, I always feel so bad waking her to get her into/out of the car.

mooshie Guest

i have car seats, however i hired a capsule from the council for bubs # 3 for the first six months, best money i have ever spent, was a godsend for getting in and out of the car to do kinder/school pick ups/drop offs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rayla72
    Definitely a capsule at first for all the reasons you've already stated
    Ditto.
    Capsules are fantastic, you don't have to wake them for anything

I have a convertible car seat and definately prefer capsule..its so hard waking them and getting them out and wrapped.

Jo

I got a convertible car seat too and thought that it was a pain in the butt when it came to bubs being wrapped - especially in winter. However I've got this gorgeous rug called Snug-as-a-Bug that has a two leg sections like a romper, a hood at the top for the head and then a wrap around there arms. The best part is you can pop them straight into the car seat without unwrapping. Its been a godsend I tell you!! I couldn't say anything about the capsule as I've never even seen one in use!!!

Not sure exactly what a car capsule is, but here in Canada we do have to dress our babies warmly in the winter. We have these "bunting bags" that stay in the car seat all the time. You don't have to put a coat on your little one. The bunting has holes in it for the car seat straps to go through, and then the cover zips on over the baby's feet and legs. The top is unfastened and can loosely cover baby's face in very cold weather, or be folded down so he can look around when it is warmer, or in the car. I had one for my daughter this past winter and it was great! Very soft, and warm and comfy, and she stayed safely buckled. If she fell asleep and we went inside, I could just unzip the cover, and she could stay asleep and not get overheated. I don't know where you would get one in Australia, but I know a lot of moms make their own over here, and I'm sure you could find a pattern.
    Also, the car seats that fit into strollers are great, so if you are going shopping and your baby is asleep, you don't have to take them out of their seat - just set it in the stroller.
    All the best!

Fee Guest

We have a capsule and it's great to just take it off the base and carry it into the shops or clinic etc. Although I'm finding Cooper already hard to carry in it! I'm not the strongest person! So it's more something for my DH to do.

NewmumLou Guest

Thanks all for your input, i think next time round definatly getting a capsule! Mama of 2 i havent seen the "bunting bags" here but they sound great! I will keep an eye out, they may be here i just havent looked for that particular item! I cant believe that their is actually a car seat that fits into a stroller .... wow!

Someone has to be different. We used a car seat with DS and will again with this one. I know there were times when I thought it would be nice to lift the whole thing out of the car, but DS usually stayed asleep when we moved him anyway. Of course it was very hot in Brissy and he didn't like being wrapped after about 2 weeks so maybe a little different. But I have also heard that it's bad to leave baby sleeping in a capsule as their backs are not in a good position.

Pixiedust Guest

I love my capsule as well, but I am finding as the weather warms up (I am in Central QLD) he is getting very hot in it....still a few kg until I can change him over to the forward facing carset though....

Agree with the weather aspect.......we have used capsules for Olivia and Charlie and will do again for B3, but with Olivia it was a pain because she was in it FOREVER (cos she is so tiny) and we were in the heat of the NT, and the air-con doesn't circulate into a capsule.......so she would wake all sweaty.

(That said, we were in Darwin, so all car trips were short anyway)

Pixiedust Guest

yep, exactly Lucy! munchkin is now just over 5kg at 14 weeks, he was 2.65kg at birth!

I loved using the capsule, as we could take our DD in and out of the car without having to wake her, but found that as soon as we took her inside and put the capsule down she would wake up nine times out of ten anyway. And my DH always had to get it in and out of the car as it was too awkward and heavy. Our DD is now just over 6kg now at 15 weeks, and she's now in the convertible car seat. She seems to love it! And at the end of the day, if she's happy, I'm happy :O)

Lea, I have 4 Snug As a Bugs!!!! I cant wait to try them out. I also have a thin cotton swaddling blanket from them and booties as well. I got a bit carried away, lol. Even the booties are the best I've ever seen. They're supposed to not fall off and they look really great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast